Ram Slots

What is the benefit of using one pair of ram slots over the other? In most build logs i see Linus say to use the grey ones and says nothing about the black ones.

What is the benefit of using one pair of ram slots over the other? In most build logs i see Linus say to use the grey ones and says nothing about the black ones.

you have to use the same colour because the channels are colour coded. like two grey slots will work as dual channel and two black as dual, if you use grey and black you won't get dual channel.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Dual channel... That´s why they are coloured different :)

You should use the same colour if you only got 2 ram sticks.

That improves the performance.

Color matching ram slots are in dual channel (or quad?). So, if you have a dual channel kit, use those particular ram slots.

EDIT: wow, too slow at typing, when I was typing this post, there were no other posts >.<

CPU: 5820K GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Mobo: EVGA m-ATX Cooler: Corsair H100i Case: Xigmatek Aquila PSU: NZXT 700W Monitors: 2 x Wasabi Mango (1440p)

Do you play Go/Baduk/Weiqi? I am AGA 4D.

"We do not shop by brand, we shop by what delivers us the best performance, features and quality for the money we're spending" - Linus (Techquickie)

you have to use the same colour because the channels are colour coded. like two grey slots will work as dual channel and two black as dual, if you use grey and black you won't get dual channel.

But is there a benefit to using grey dual channel over black dual channel? Or does it not make a difference

But is there a benefit to using grey dual channel over black dual channel? Or does it not make a difference

No aslong as you plug both ram sticks in the same colour

No difference. It probably just happens that way when they build.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

illuminati confirmed

No aslong as you plug both ram sticks in the same colour

Sweet thanks guys :)

I heard some ppl say that you should fill the slot closest to the CPU and its matching color... Maybe it's a myth, or maybe some old mother board models had an issue.