Gaming mice

Shrubpig

I want to get a new mouse, and I don't really know which one I want. I have been looking at the Logitech G9X, G400, and G500. I have a claw grip, so I don't know if the G400/500 are the best ideas. What do you guys think?

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Ill tell you about the three gaming mice I've had experience with in the last two years. Keep in mind that I have a very large hand, and while I like palm grip, I seem to automatically adopt a claw grip wherever I handle a mouse.

LOGITECH G700

This is an amazing mouse. The button layout is superb and it is well built and caters excellently to gaming. The reason I swapped out this mouse is because it wasn't wide enough for my hand, however if your hand is anything short of gargantuan, you'll be fine. Its as wide as any other Razer or Logitech mouse. Out of the three mice, it was the easiest to set up, most comatible and least troublesome. The laser is accurate and buttons responsive and usefully tactile.

R.A.T. 9.

This is a customizable mouse that is stupidly expensive, however the most comfortable mouse I've used. I could adjust it to fit my massive mits intuitively and easily, and in terms of build quality, it is excellent. The macro assigning software is a complete disgrace to mankind, however it does eventually work, so this isn't a deal breaker. It has this stupidly placed glide plate positioned around the laser, which means crap from your desk will accumulate in the gap and prevent the laser from tracking, and it needed to be cleaned out at least daily. I had never had a problem with any other mouse before, so this is a massive pain in the arse.

-cont

If you have an AsRock motherboard you'll need to delete legacy USB otherwise the computer wont boot if the mouse is connected when you start it up. Not a huge issue, however it may be a reason to not buy it if you don't have PS2 or USB 3 ports to boot other devices from, or access the BIOS from. I got rid of this mouse because the laser broke. Its a common issue with the mouse so if you cant get warranty for it DON'T buy it.

STEELSERIES WOW CATACLYSM

This is what I use now. Its ashame about the WOW decals and armour plating however it is the only mouse that fits my hand. Its comfortable enough, and I haven't had an issue with the laser. The mouse just works. The software for the mouse is an attrocity, though it does work after a 2 week adventure involving frustration and despair. The mouse macros are incompatible kernel mapped games such as BF3, GW2. Which will require you to remap in game controlls to the number pad, and assign the mouse buttons to the numberpad too. It works, however it really is a shame. The mouse is plastic feeling, and the buttons feel cheap, however they always activate so its just an annoyance.

My fav of the above is the RAT 9 however it just broke, and I wasn't prepared to fork out another $200 for another cleaning, laser breaking annoyance. G700 was a hassle free, awesomely compatible monster, and if it fit my hand, I would still be using it. The Steelseries however fits my hand, and just works. It isn't hassle free, but, well, life isn't perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think the RAT 9 and Steelseries might be out of the question (the Rat's like $200, and I don't want any WOW branding). I saw the G700, and I thought that looked cool. I think I'm going to go with the G9X, as it is very similar to the shape of the mouse I have now (Logitech M305), and I like the grips and weights. Thanks again :)

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I used a razer imperator, a rat 7 and two roccat savu,

I loved the razer imperater (nice shape and all), the feet wore down way to fast. the ergonomic were nice (I tend to palm)

the rat 7 was uncomfortable in any configuration. (mice too wide for me)

the savu is RLY nice to hold, track extremely well(optic sensor) , and has very large feet, it s so good I bought a second one and it is quite cheap when the sales goes on.

I would go with another savu anytime. It is a ''medium sized mouse'' , clawing it shouldn t be a problem.

I have long fingers but i like to have my pinky on the mouse pad at all time (hency why I hate wide mouses)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :聽 Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h聽 | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K聽 |聽 XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

I'm currently using the Steelseries Sensei which is a great mouse. The chrome is not much of a pain that people think it is and it fits all types of hands. Also provides 4 macro buttons and is great for claw grip which is how I sometimes hold my mice as well. Also looks simple and clean with led for logo, dpi button and wheel.

Good Morning...

I'm currently using the Steelseries Sensei which is a great mouse. The chrome is not much of a pain that people think it is and it fits all types of hands. Also provides 4 macro buttons and is great for claw grip which is how I sometimes hold my mice as well. Also looks simple and clean with led for logo, dpi button and wheel.
How is the scroll wheel on the sensei? I've been thinking of getting that mouse. I currently have a Steelseries Ikari that I've been using for a while now but I would really like a scroll wheel that is really clicky when it turns. Reason being is that my in game settings for switch weapon is 'scroll down.' And sometimes I scroll one or two times more than I wanted to, due to a more lose turning scroll wheel, and I end up getting fragged.

• Intel Core i7 2600k 4.5Ghz

Sapphire 7950

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master 850w

Corsair H100i

Fractal Design Define R4

Roccat Kone+ Mouse

Logitech G15 Keyboard

How is the scroll wheel on the sensei? I've been thinking of getting that mouse. I currently have a Steelseries Ikari that I've been using for a while now but I would really like a scroll wheel that is really clicky when it turns. Reason being is that my in game settings for switch weapon is 'scroll down.' And sometimes I scroll one or two times more than I wanted to' date=' due to a more lose turning scroll wheel, and I end up getting fragged.[/quote']

Yeah, the scroll wheel is 'clicky' on the sensei so you should be able to change weapons fine.

Good Morning...

I agree Milo, you have to get one with a clicky wheel :P

• 2 weeks later...

I don't game so I can't say my opinion matters a whole lot but from my experience the two best mice that just had really good feels that I've used have been the Logitech G700 and the Razer Naga (2012). The Logitech G700 being the current because it's wireless and the wire tends to get in the way. It moves really smoothly and I can accurately click anything ever, and has a really good configuration tool that allows you to very specifically specify the DPI and what have you. The Naga is very much the same way, and although I like Razer Synapse more (primarily because of 'Cloud Storage' (I hate that phrase)) the Naga isn't wireless (The Naga Epic is, but I've heard that it has clicking issues after a few months by a LOT of people), and that's a deal breaker for me.

The one exception to that is when I did game I had a Logitech MX518. It didn't have a braided cord (I hate braided cords because they get caught on things on small desks) and it was very smooth without configuring it much, but I would imagine that at higher resolutions (higher than 1920x1080) it would begin to get very in full screen mode.

I highly recommend wireless as being the sort of base choice. If it isn't wireless, probably don't get it. It is one of the best decisions I've ever made in regards to computer peripherals (mouse and headset that is).

I don't game so I can't say my opinion matters a whole lot but from my experience the two best mice that just had really good feels that I've used have been the Logitech G700 and the Razer Naga (2012). The Logitech G700 being the current because it's wireless and the wire tends to get in the way. It moves really smoothly and I can accurately click anything ever, and has a really good configuration tool that allows you to very specifically specify the DPI and what have you. The Naga is very much the same way, and although I like Razer Synapse more (primarily because of 'Cloud Storage' (I hate that phrase)) the Naga isn't wireless (The Naga Epic is, but I've heard that it has clicking issues after a few months by a LOT of people), and that's a deal breaker for me.

The one exception to that is when I did game I had a Logitech MX518. It didn't have a braided cord (I hate braided cords because they get caught on things on small desks) and it was very smooth without configuring it much, but I would imagine that at higher resolutions (higher than 1920x1080) it would begin to get very in full screen mode.

I highly recommend wireless as being the sort of base choice. If it isn't wireless, probably don't get it. It is one of the best decisions I've ever made in regards to computer peripherals (mouse and headset that is).

You generally want wires connected to things when it comes to gaming.

You generally want wires connected to things when it comes to gaming.

for mice I find that using the logitech g700 is very awesome and I have used wireless headsets and wireless mice for gaming in the past. It really depends on the mouse itself. I would prefer the g700 to a wired mouse any day of the week because it is such a hassle to have that particular wire on my mouse, since it moves. The keyboard is fine to be wired since it doesn't move. I would prefer a wireless headset any day of the week and any month of the year and any year of the century, but I was cheap and just got a G35 instead of whatever the wireless version of it is. It's funny how this supposed "gaming gear" is so useful for non-gaming professional users such as myself. If I'm sitting at the computer all day I want it to be as comfortable and easy as possible, and the only way it seems that that is do-able is to shop in the gaming section.

People make such a big deal about wired vs wireless but realistically if you have the receiver positioned in a good place (AND it's a good quality mouse) I can assure you at no time will you notice a difference. The issue is that the battery tends to run out, which can be problematic at times. Wireless is wonderful.

That said, if they started doing fiber optic cables that would probably be acceptably however microscopically better.

People notice the difference for sure. Maybe not if that's what you're used to using, but that doesn't mean it's not effecting your results in a faster-paced game (similar to acceleration in that regard I suppose). They also tend to be heavier, which is a downside for a lot of gamers.

With headphones I guess it's not as much of an issue for gaming, but the delay's still there and if you want half-decent sound quality (better than headsets, in other words), you're going to have to pay a hell of a lot more for an equivalent-sounding pair.

2 words Steelseries Sensi. it is an outstanding mouse.