Is it worth getting a 4k monitor, if you don't use crossfire, or have a great gpu

dimitriianghelov
Go to solution Solved by DavidTheWin,

Running a 28 inch 4k monitor from a 980 at the moment. Given the 980 is about twice the performance of a 280x and my experiences running games at 4k on a 980, you won't be running any games at ultra at this resolution but you weren't expecting to I guess. Some games like LoL/Dota/TF2/CSGO should be fine at 4k on a 280x but you might need to turn some settings down. If there's something you do want to play then you can run at 1080p which downscales perfectly or even 1440p which in my experience (running it in far cry 3 very briefly) didn't have any very noticeable visual artifacts from downscaling.

General usage will be perfectly fine; as others have said, it's only 3d applications that start to take a toll on the GPU.

27/28 inches at 4k is a sweet spot currently I think. 32+ inches would help with the scaling but you suffer reduced pixel density and reduced desk space for it. On the other hand, a 32 inch game is probably pretty great to look at. Any lower than 27/28 inches and you'll hit scaling issues in Windows with things being too small to use, particularly text. In my experience most things are fine with a few exceptions such as command prompt not scaling well. 

so i didn't get any presents for myself this end of the year, because i'm waiting for the 380x/390x , while waiting idd want to get a new monitor that would need to last a few years, my last one lasted like 4 i think

atm i have a r9 280x gpu

fx 8350 cpu, i know it's a bit old but it's still alive

16 gb of Kingston ddr3 @1866 memory

i don't mind running on low setting for a few months as longs it's playeble , i don't plan to play any really graphics demanding during that time (because i want to be amazed i try to play them at ultra later on,) , but then again it's still 4k so i don't know what to expect; i would like to see movies or youtube content(that's at 2k atm i think) smoothly at that resolution though

edit : thanks for responses guys, can't wait for the new year to pass and to go get a new monitor

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

so i didn't get any presents for myself this end of the year, because i'm waiting for the 380x/390x , while waiting idd want to get a new monitor that would need to last a few years, my last one lasted like 4 i think

atm i have a r9 280x gpu

i don't mind running on low setting for a few months as longs it's playeble , i don't plan to play any really graphics demanding during that time (because i want to be amazed i try to play them at ultra later on,) , but then again it's still 4k so i don't know what to expect; i would like to see movies or youtube content(that's at 2k atm i think) smoothly at that resolution though

3D games are the only GPU intensive thing (for a consumer), anything like general desktop usage or video watching is child's play at any resolution. You could do this on integrated graphics. You'll be fine with Movies/youtube.

atm i have a r9 280x gpu

If you really want one you can always play games at 1080P and switch to 4k when the a newer GPU comes out, 390X or whatever it may be. 4K is really a pain with windows unless you get a display bigger than 32 inches (In my experience) Windows scaling is not good at all.

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

probably can't play games at anything satisfying, but if its not running games, you should have no problems.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Running a 28 inch 4k monitor from a 980 at the moment. Given the 980 is about twice the performance of a 280x and my experiences running games at 4k on a 980, you won't be running any games at ultra at this resolution but you weren't expecting to I guess. Some games like LoL/Dota/TF2/CSGO should be fine at 4k on a 280x but you might need to turn some settings down. If there's something you do want to play then you can run at 1080p which downscales perfectly or even 1440p which in my experience (running it in far cry 3 very briefly) didn't have any very noticeable visual artifacts from downscaling.

General usage will be perfectly fine; as others have said, it's only 3d applications that start to take a toll on the GPU.

27/28 inches at 4k is a sweet spot currently I think. 32+ inches would help with the scaling but you suffer reduced pixel density and reduced desk space for it. On the other hand, a 32 inch game is probably pretty great to look at. Any lower than 27/28 inches and you'll hit scaling issues in Windows with things being too small to use, particularly text. In my experience most things are fine with a few exceptions such as command prompt not scaling well.