water cooling in 900d

hi, what is better to put on top and bottom? 480mm (4 x 120) or 420mm (3 x 140)

The 480mm will give more surface area and there is a larger selection of pressure optimised 120mm fans.

Edit: Math was wrong the 420 will give more surface area

420mm

Less fans means less noise (or so I like to believe).

You can use online decibel calculators. As you probably know you can't just add decibels.

Here is the one I have bookmarked that I use; (nothing special). http://www.noisemeters.com/apps/db-calculator.asp

It actually does not make that much of a significant difference when you already have multiple fans. Assuming the radiator fans are only a small portion of the fans in the system this increase would probably not be noticeable.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

You can use online decibel calculators. As you probably know you can't just add decibels.

Here is the one I have bookmarked that I use; (nothing special). http://www.noisemeters.com/apps/db-calculator.asp

It actually does not make that much of a significant difference when you already have multiple fans. Assuming the radiator fans are only a small portion of the fans in the system this increase would probably not be noticeable.

Fair enough, I was doubtful that I was right.

What about bigger fans move more air without having to spin as fast? :|

Also, I don't see how an online calculator can be represented in real life, especially when it comes to decibels. Like Linus said, there's a very big difference between a low hum and a high pitched "eeeeee".

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Fair enough, I was doubtful that I was right.

What about bigger fans move more air without having to spin as fast? :|

Also, I don't see how an online calculator can be represented in real life, especially when it comes to decibels. Like Linus said, there's a very big difference between a low hum and a high pitched "eeeeee".

Correct and bigger fans are quieter if you look at noise level ratings. You can check what the manufacturer rated the noise level at. You can punch those numbers in the calculator too.

An online calculator in no way gives a representation of real life. It can give a rough estimation of what to expect.

You are correct in that a different pitch can be interpreted by different people in different ways. Imagine a noise you hate (, everyone probably has one; such nails scratching a chalk board). That's probably as loud as a loud fan and yet you find it more annoying. However, this is different for every person so you cannot rate a fan's "loudness" based on it.

If that makes sense.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Correct and bigger fans are quieter if you look at noise level ratings. You can check what the manufacturer rated the noise level at. You can punch those numbers in the calculator too.

An online calculator in no way gives a representation of real life. It can give a rough estimation of what to expect.

You are correct in that a different pitch can be interpreted by different people in different ways. Imagine a noise you hate (, everyone probably has one; such nails scratching a chalk board). That's probably as loud as a loud fan and yet you find it more annoying. However, this is different for every person so you cannot rate a fan's "loudness" based on it.

If that makes sense.

Oh, it does. I'm not bothered by most repeating noises unless they are high pitched. Then it slowly starts to get to me.

But regardless, 120mm  are smaller than 140mm and so technically 140mm could spin slower and move the same amount of air (assuming it's the same type of fan) creating less noise by default. 

Though the difference of 2cm wouldn't be much I'd imagine.

Eh, that's for the silent geeks like Linus. :P And me.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The 480mm will give more surface area and there is a larger selection of pressure optimised 120mm fans.

actually, math says you're wrong (though there are probably discrepancies due to not the entire area of a rad being used)

480*120= 57 600

420*140= 58 800

that's a 2% increase in area going with the 140mm option

AND you get Vitalius' Silence Geek advantages as well.

The only downside is sourcing a good 140mm fan (or using shrouds)

actually, math says you're wrong (though there are probably discrepancies due to not the entire area of a rad being used)

480*120= 57 600

420*140= 58 800

that's a 2% increase in area going with the 140mm option

AND you get Vitalius' Silence Geek advantages as well.

The only downside is sourcing a good 140mm fan (or using shrouds)

Yep your right my math was out. When I first done the calculation i thought it was strange but still posted it.

I know what you mean about sourcing good fans as I've just spent what felt like days finding 140mm fans that are high pressure which where not noctua  ended up going with the AP141's even through the uv blue fans dont match my build.

With the space in the 900D and the amount of rads which can be mounted in it 2% more or less cooling surface shouldnt show a drastic difference in temps but the 140mm rads will mean less fans

I opted for Akasa Vipers... reviews are kinda scarce, but a couple people gave them thumbs up and I figure even if it's out of my colour scheme, black and yellow is way hotter than beige and brown.

i voted 480 just for the easy access to a better fan option.

the 420 i'd use BGears B-Blaster 140mm fans, but that is me..

airdeano