Audio Setup - Live mixing, mastering and general use

Blade of Grass

Hello everyone!

I was recently pondering my audio and I realized that I should get some headphones, a DAC and an AMP.

Currently, I'm looking for sub $200 headphones, and they should be easy to get a hold of in Canada. I'm also looking for a DAC and AMP to total to $200.

The use?

Mixing audio live at my bands concerts (I'm an A/V guy, I would only be using the headphones in this case)

Mastering recorded tracks (for the band)

General use, music, movies ETC (personal)

I was Looking at Beyer-dynamic DT990 Pro, SCHIIT Magni, and the SCHIIT MODI.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Now, the other option I have, is to buy the headphones first, then get the AMP and DAC later, saving up some more for them and getting possibly better equipment.

I could also see if my parents would chip in and buy the headphones, and then I could spend more on the DAC and AMP. Explaining that it will be for the band (2/3 of what it will be used for!)

Also, since the DAC and AMP will be on my desk 24/7, them looking nice and sleek would be a bonus.

Thanks for the help in advance!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I'm personally using the Dennon AH-D2000's for the bulk of my work which is B and C grade acts. They've got a fairly flat response but they do roll off a little on the top but are well isolated which some headphones actually have a huge problem with despite the way they're made. I'll link you to a video series by Dave Rat - owner of Rat Sound which is a huge touring company in the US, think Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Linkin Park ect) He also had a fair bit to do with the EAW Microwedge design.. He goes through and looks at the rough pickup from pink noise..

I'm personally using the Dennon AH-D2000's for the bulk of my work which is B and C grade acts. They've got a fairly flat response but they do roll off a little on the top but are well isolated which some headphones actually have a huge problem with despite the way they're made. I'll link you to a video series by Dave Rat - owner of Rat Sound which is a huge touring company in the US, think Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Linkin Park ect) He also had a fair bit to do with the EAW Microwedge design.. He goes through and looks at the rough pickup from pink noise..
The only problem I see if that you can't buy them anymore.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What, D2000's? I can still find them on eBay and Amazon.. granted though they are $450..

Sorry, I meant that you can't find them new, and yes, they are my whole budget.

15" MBP TB

so other than the instead of the D2000s, do you recommend the Shure SH840, or the DT990 PRO or the Shure 940s?

15" MBP TB

No one else? Any other opinions?

15" MBP TB

I personally don't have experience with either of those unfortunately. My other favourites are the HD-25 II's though they are on ear rather than around the ear..

At 200$ I like the DAC/amp combo of buying the Fiio E07k and the E09k. For cans I love the VMODA M-80s but the Audio Technica M50s are a little cheaper and have a slightly flatter frequency response.

no personal experience here but aren't the vmoda and the beyer a bit bass heavy rather than neutral?

no personal experience here but aren't the vmoda and the beyer a bit bass heavy rather than neutral?
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-srh940.php

15" MBP TB

Based on that graph I'd still go the Dennon's but seeing as they're too expensive the next best thing on there are the SRH940's. The Bayers have too much of a boost from 80-110 which is your kick drum and you're still getting that boost right up into the 3-5K's which can really mess with the sort of airiness that you should have in any mix but metal. 3 out of 4 of them also suffer the spike at 8-10k and then the drop and even over compensation for 12k. I'd certainly stay away from th DT990's.

If you're after a tailored response 'phone that you can wear and listen to all day, I'm partial to the Beyerdynamic DT770s. They're a studio standard, sound great, and are built really well.

If you want flat response headphones, then you can get pretty close with the Sennheiser HD380 Pros. Anyway, that just my two cents, those are my go-to headphones for any audio work.