Headphone recommendation 2!

Dubesta11

Stole the Reddit formatting:

• Budget - Around $100, at most $150
  • Source - ASUS Xonar soundcard, smartphone, standard laptops.
  • Requirements for Isolation - Somewhat isolated, with the ability to hear outside noises.
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear with a large cup
  • Preferred tonal balance - Mainly balanced with some bass.
  • Past headphones - Monoprice 8323[1] with a v-moda microphone cable[2] . Using it right now to watch the LAN show and comfort is a little bit on an issue.
  • Preferred Music: Gaming, Electronica, VOIP.

So my main concern is comfort. If these Monoprice cans sound good enough for me, most headphones should be fine. So comfort, overall looks (black/red/white main color scheme), and a removable standard cable for my mic to be compatible. So these are what I found that fit my budget/potential needs:

1. V-MODA Crossfade LP[3] . There are MANY positive reviews mainly about comfort and build quality, as well as good sound to match. A few people said to stay away from them, but for what reason really?

2. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x[4] . Again, people say to get other products but don't give specific reasons why. They seem to have everything I need and are reasonably priced.

I would want them to work on any device without needing an AMP or whatever. Thanks!

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

The Audio-Technica are 100% closed and don't have a standard removable cable.  Its smaller than 3.5mm.  Still great headphones though.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Both of those are somewhat on ear. They're the small "over ear" headphones. The Sony mdr7506 is good but you won't be able to hear outside much. Sennheiser hd518 might be good but I don't think they isolate much.

Hd 558

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

If you need portable I would say go for the M40x. Just keep in mind that the cups are not large as you likely want.

Stole the Reddit formatting:

• Budget - Around $100, at most $150
  • Source - ASUS Xonar soundcard, smartphone, standard laptops.
  • Requirements for Isolation - Somewhat isolated, with the ability to hear outside noises.
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear with a large cup
  • Preferred tonal balance - Mainly balanced with some bass.
  • Past headphones - Monoprice 8323[1] with a v-moda microphone cable[2] . Using it right now to watch the LAN show and comfort is a little bit on an issue.
  • Preferred Music: Gaming, Electronica, VOIP.

So my main concern is comfort. If these Monoprice cans sound good enough for me, most headphones should be fine. So comfort, overall looks (black/red/white main color scheme), and a removable standard cable for my mic to be compatible. So these are what I found that fit my budget/potential needs:

1. V-MODA Crossfade LP[3] . There are MANY positive reviews mainly about comfort and build quality, as well as good sound to match. A few people said to stay away from them, but for what reason really?

2. Audio-Technica ATH-M40x[4] . Again, people say to get other products but don't give specific reasons why. They seem to have everything I need and are reasonably priced.

I would want them to work on any device without needing an AMP or whatever. Thanks!

Get the AKG K550. Comfort is amazing, isolation is good, sound is very balanced, it doesnt lack on bass but it isnt overpowering either. It has a bigger soundstage than the ATH m50X. I love mine.

Get the AKG K550. Comfort is amazing, isolation is good, sound is very balanced, it doesnt lack on bass but it isnt overpowering either. It has a bigger soundstage than the ATH m50X. I love mine.

Isolation and comfort can be an issue with those depending on the person because the pads are terrible. They're a little better after they get stuffed with cotton but I still can't stand the material. Replacing the earpads soon on mine.

Hd 558

Wow, these look great. Wonder why I overlooked them. Do you have any idea if standard cables can be used?

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Wow, these look great. Wonder why I overlooked them. Do you have any idea if standard cables can be used?

The 558s have a detachable cable, the standard cable ends in a 1/4 inch jack but it comes with a 3.5mm adapter, but you can also buy 3.5 mm cables

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

with a v-moda microphone cable[2]

since you already have the Vmoda Boompro I've been eyeballing the beyerdynamic custom 1 pro's it looks like with a bit of shaving and whittling the plastic surround on the boompro plug you could fit it directly into the custom 1 pro

aside from that the most comfortable headphone I have is the audio technica AD series with the 3d wing. fits my head perfectly however results may vary for other heads.

I have my v-modas on right now haha I like them a lot but there not the best for the price and they are very comfy (for me)

:wub: hey

since you already have the Vmoda Boompro I've been eyeballing the beyerdynamic custom 1 pro's it looks like with a bit of shaving and whittling the plastic surround on the boompro plug you could fit it directly into the custom 1 pro

aside from that the most comfortable headphone I have is the audio technica AD series with the 3d wing. fits my head perfectly however results may vary for other heads.

The Pro's are out of budget, and I can't even find them online.

The Grey Squirrel

Obligatory AD-series recommendation b/c member title, 500x is right for your budget.  

I thought those were wired...

The Grey Squirrel

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAKBHKM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=412RQUXRHAU2&coliid=I24CM33SUQD8OE 

There's also the tape mod to make the 558s sound more like the 598s (http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

With that said, my ATH-m50s undoubtedly kick harder than my more expansive and clearer HD598s. I hear great things about the ATH-ADXXXx sereies (cheaper on ebay btw), but I haven't tried them. The V-moda LP on the other hand have a bit of a beats sound signature, so they may not catch many fans here (myself included). I want to try the LP2s which I've heard an excellent EDM headphone, but as far as balanced sound, the only sweet V-moda cans are the m-100s which are out of budget. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAKBHKM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=412RQUXRHAU2&coliid=I24CM33SUQD8OE 

There's also the tape mod to make the 558s sound more like the 598s (http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

With that said, my ATH-m50s undoubtedly kick harder than my more expansive and clearer HD598s. I hear great things about the ATH-ADXXXx sereies (cheaper on ebay btw), but I haven't tried them. The V-moda LP on the other hand have a bit of a beats sound signature, so they may not catch many fans here (myself included). I want to try the LP2s which I've heard an excellent EDM headphone, but as far as balanced sound, the only sweet V-moda cans are the m-100s which are out of budget. 

Thats a smaller port than the cable I have. Probably going to wait for some major sale to get a pair since I don't need them right now.

The Grey Squirrel