Need some advice on personal cloud storage NAS, which NAS, which software?

Go to solution Solved by squirrl,

There are a few non-cloud software based alternatives first:

Bittorrent Sync

Microsoft SyncToy

But taking another look at what you want, a NAS or Bittorrent Sync don't seem like the sort of thing you need.

For example, i'd use a NAS for accessing files in a central place over my local network, and also be able to access my files at university without having to copy them to a USB drive. 

Bittorrent Sync can be used for saving/downloading files on one PC and then they are automatically downloaded onto the connected PC's (need internet connection though)

Couldn't you just set the content to download straight to your phone?

Otherwise SyncToy works. I used it many years ago for backups.

Hey peeps,

Looking to solve a "My Briefcase" (hat tip to windows 3.1)issue. I want to get a local storage solution that will automatically sync with a folder on android to make the files available offline.

I have a commute that involves being on a subway/underground for most of the journey so getting access to cloud storage is difficult. What I want to do is set things to download to a folder before I go to bed, plug in my phone as normal and then when I wake up the contents of the download folder have synced up to the phone. Copying hi-res videos is a bit of a pain when you are rushing to get ready in the morning.

I don't really want to use an online service partially because I don't like the security questions they raise and secondly because I won't be able to always guarantee full legal ownership of every piece of content.

I have been looking at the local NAS solutions from LaCie and WD but this functionality is a bit of a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. I gave up actually having to do anything difficult on PCs a while ago so an in-box solution would be preferable but failing that does anyone have any software recommendations (windows or linux)?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

There are a few non-cloud software based alternatives first:

Bittorrent Sync

Microsoft SyncToy

But taking another look at what you want, a NAS or Bittorrent Sync don't seem like the sort of thing you need.

For example, i'd use a NAS for accessing files in a central place over my local network, and also be able to access my files at university without having to copy them to a USB drive. 

Bittorrent Sync can be used for saving/downloading files on one PC and then they are automatically downloaded onto the connected PC's (need internet connection though)

Couldn't you just set the content to download straight to your phone?

Otherwise SyncToy works. I used it many years ago for backups.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I'm just playing around with bittorrent sync, jury is still out but early indications are that this is exactly what I have been looking for.

Noob reps.

Hey peeps,

Looking to solve a "My Briefcase" (hat tip to windows 3.1)issue. I want to get a local storage solution that will automatically sync with a folder on android to make the files available offline.

I have a commute that involves being on a subway/underground for most of the journey so getting access to cloud storage is difficult. What I want to do is set things to download to a folder before I go to bed, plug in my phone as normal and then when I wake up the contents of the download folder have synced up to the phone. Copying hi-res videos is a bit of a pain when you are rushing to get ready in the morning.

I don't really want to use an online service partially because I don't like the security questions they raise and secondly because I won't be able to always guarantee full legal ownership of every piece of content.

I have been looking at the local NAS solutions from LaCie and WD but this functionality is a bit of a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. I gave up actually having to do anything difficult on PCs a while ago so an in-box solution would be preferable but failing that does anyone have any software recommendations (windows or linux)?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Hey fernandodlc,

@squirrl gave you some good advice! :)
Since you've been looking at WD solutions, I'll give you some input. 
Depending on your budget and desired capacity, I would advice you to check out WD My Cloud devices here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/default.aspx?segment=4#jump5. All of them have useful features such as mobile synchronization both over the local network and over the internet. You can set it up to be scheduled or ongoing. 
Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Happy Holidays!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/