HDD to SSD clone

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Have to agree with the clean install, I've tried cloning over from HDD to SSD and while yes the performance is increased, depending on what OS (Anything pre windows 8) won't necessarily detect the change, and treat the SSD like a HDD.

We use acronis true image, I've heard clonezilla is quite good though.

Just re-read and notice it's on a mac, not sure how they are about booting into anything from USB/CD apart from the OS install disk though so might be trial and error for a while

There shouldn't be a problem for a Mac to boot from an external source. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201663

Captain_WD.

I've just went out and bought a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB for my MacBook Pro 2011 and i'm wondering what's the best way to clone my HDD to my SSD.

I have a SATA to USB adapter so can use that to connect the SSD to my computer, unless that is a bad idea and going to cause damage? What would be the best utility to clone the HDD to my SSD... 

Brand new to Mac OS and the first SSD i've ever bought... So yeah, i need help.

I've just went out and bought a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB for my MacBook Pro 2011 and i'm wondering what's the best way to clone my HDD to my SSD.

I have a SATA to USB adapter so can use that to connect the SSD to my computer, unless that is a bad idea and going to cause damage? What would be the best utility to clone the HDD to my SSD... 

Brand new to Mac OS and the first SSD i've ever bought... So yeah, i need help.

Hey LoneRangerS,

You shouldn't have any problems using the SSD externally with the SATA to USB cable as it doesn't need that much power to work (unlike HDDs that have actual moving parts and require more power).
What HDD do you currently have? Acronis is a great tool for cloning a drive and has a version for each manufacturer that is recommended for their drives (Acronis True Image WD Edition for WD Drive for example).
I would recommend doing a clean install to the new drive as this way you would get rid of unused and unwanted software, files and avoid any compatibility issues and data corruption. 

Happy Holidays!

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Have to agree with the clean install, I've tried cloning over from HDD to SSD and while yes the performance is increased, depending on what OS (Anything pre windows 8) won't necessarily detect the change, and treat the SSD like a HDD.

Just re-read and notice it's on a mac, not sure how they are about booting into anything from USB/CD apart from the OS install disk though so might be trial and error for a while

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

There shouldn't be a problem for a Mac to boot from an external source. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201663

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/