Case Mounted Display

lcater95

This project is only in the planning stage and I'm not even sure if I'm going to do it but, i'm definitely going to do it. That being said, the idea of mounting a display on or in a case has always interested me. Lugging my PC and my monitor home during University break sucks.

Parts:
Cooler Master N200

http://m.dx.com/p/10-1-digital-ips-screen-1280-x-800-drive-board-for-raspberry-pcduino-cubieboard-black-275804

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LTN170X2-L01/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-VGA-DVI-Audio-LCD-controller-board-for-lcd-panel-DIY-LCD-monitor-/170901386781

A lamp with an adjustable arm

Some wood

I may go for a 7inch if the 10.1 doesn't fit but that may hard to use.

I want to mount the screen in a way that the screen is not exposed and can then swing out using the lamp arm. I also want to power the display using Molex. Is that possible?

I'll keep you guys updated.

I am definitely going to follow this. I had a similar Idea except it will be a touchscreen for a low power server that will be used on my server rack to monitor all the servers inside, my gaming computer and my websites.

That display shows it uses "DC 12v" so yes you can power it with a molex.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Would it be a good idea to just mount it straight to the side of the case? No adjustability just a case with a screen in it. I could probably rig something to protect it when not in use.

Interesting idea.

I would make mount on a flat plate and use an X pattern to tie into the your case structure or side panel. As for teh wiring, i would just get a seperate dc power supply and wire it all in the side panel.

Personally I would embed it into the computer case, I think it would be a PITA having it hanging off and it would likely get broken really quick no matter how careful you were with it. One thing you could do to really protect it is cut the sidepanel up and put a window in it and mount your display to the window on the inside. Just prop the case up on a couple books if you want to adjust the tilt or height, as I assume it wouldn't be very often you would actually use it right? Keep your main monitor at school and just have this for when you get home? Or I guess you could just buy another monitor and keep one at each place, but that is way too easy.  :P

Most (if not all) LVDS converters are powered with 12V, so just use a yellow wire for positive and black for return and you will be fine. The one that I have driving a 12" display draws about 8 watts at full brightness so strain on your PSU shouldn't be an issue.

If you are willing to spend the extra money and want to go crazy with it you can use an iPad display for a nice high resolution (but not normal aspect ratio). http://www.adafruit.com/products/1652  Its $180 to buy just the display and driver board.

If you want to do it cheaper and have an old laptop laying around (or can find one dirt cheap on craigslist) LVDS converters are about $35 on eBay, but its somewhat a gamble if they will make one for your display. I have a 4-5 year old HP laptop display that I wasn't able to find anyone with a compatible LVDS controller for it.

Ive done it with an led matrix. Pretty much the same setup, just with an LCD instead.

Looks like this project is going to have to wait until spring break. Not enough time left this break to get the parts and finish the project.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Well its still going to have to wait until spring break but, I now have the panels I'm going to use. 

My Grandfather gave me to old laptops from 2006 and they both have this panel in them. I'm also going to buy this controller.

They are a little bigger than I wanted but, I can work with that and the resolution is nice.

*The motherboards in them are shot by the way

Have you seen the video from TekSyndicate? They mounted a Retina display to a PC. Maybe you can use some tricks they used.

Have you seen the video from TekSyndicate? They mounted a Retina display to a PC. Maybe you can use some tricks they used.

I am not a fan of TekSyndicate, but thanks for the video, that will help me with ideas as well :D

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.