What do I do?

hello, for christmas i got a gtx 980 g1 gaming, i installed it in my system (corsair rm850 psu using one cable where it splits off into two) and when i go into windows i keep getting various blue screens of death... what do i do? i dont even have a chance to install ANYTHING on my pc before BAM blue screen of death... also i had a r7 240 but i have uninstalled catalist control centre and i have geforce experince installed... any help would be greatly apperciated

Dang, upgrade from r7 240 to GTX 980, that's quite a step.

Anyway, make sure the card is in properly and the connectors are properly fitted.

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

I don't have any problems using the split cable on my 980s. IF the cable was the problem, it just wouldn't power on. What are the other specs to your PC?

Make sure you uninstall the AMD Drivers, not just the catalyst control center.

okay, should i also use two seperate cables?

Yes.

With me, when I forgot to put the power connectors, it just displayed a "plz connect the pci-e connectors" kind of message. It wasn't blue, however.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

mobo: asus m5a97 evo r2.0

ram: 32gb g.skill 1600 (4x8)

case: thermaltake chaser mk-1

storage: 2tb seagate baracuda

psu: corsair rm850

cpu: amd fx-8350 with cooler master nepton 240m cooling it

mobo: asus m5a97 evo r2.0

ram: 32gb g.skill 1600 (4x8)

case: thermaltake chaser mk-1

storage: 2tb seagate baracuda

psu: corsair rm850

cpu: amd fx-8350 with cooler master nepton 240m cooling it

You should be fine. Make sure you uninstall those drivers. If it still blue screens, post the messages.

also its not detecting my primary monitor only secondary i have it connect via the dvi connector on the right (when looking from the back of the pc) and also hdmi but niether work, also i was just able to install the driver

also its not detecting my primary monitor only secondary i have it connect via the dvi connector on the right (when looking from the back of the pc) and also hdmi but niether work, also i was just able to install the driver

Plug the monitor into your mobo if you need to, so it won't blue screen. It's not going to automatically bring up your second monitor, you have to go into nvidia control center and set that up under setup multiple displays.

There's a program that completely wipes your drivers, maybe someone here knows of it. Are you 100% sure you uninstalled the drivers and not just catalyst control center?

Plug the monitor into your mobo if you need to, so it won't blue screen. It's not going to automatically bring up your second monitor, you have to go into nvidia control center and set that up under setup multiple displays.

There's a program that completely wipes your drivers, maybe someone here knows of it. Are you 100% sure you uninstalled the drivers and not just catalyst control center?

it wont show up under multiple displays...

im going to test it by playing elite dangerous, if i dont bsod im gonna say its fine... but ... if i do, im opening up the pc using two cables and im going to reinstall the gpu... does that sound like a good idea?

im going to test it by playing elite dangerous, if i dont bsod im gonna say its fine... but ... if i do, im opening up the pc using two cables and im going to reinstall the gpu... does that sound like a good idea?

I'm just going to say I don't think it's the cable. I ran into an issue where my PC wouldn't boot and I thought that was it when I first installed it, but it wasn't. Like I said, I have 2 980s in SLI, so I don't think that's it. You can try it though. If there was a problem there, I just think it wouldn't boot at all or turn on. I'm using a Corsair PSU too. 

Is it a virtual memory error? 

I found the error, for some reason the gpu doesnt like the high-performance mode in the asus bios, i put it in normal mode and no bsods so far!

I found the error, for some reason the gpu doesnt like the high-performance mode in the asus bios, i put it in normal mode and no bsods so far!

Awesome! That's good news, have fun with your new card!