Building first ever rig, need approval + HELP !

Smishyo

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gyhyZL 

Completely new at this and I'm a bit confused about.. well everything..

Am I better sticking with the EVGA brand GTX 970 or could I sub it for the cheaper zotac version ?

Am I better off getting the i5 4590 or should I stick with the 4460 I chose originally ? (price difference is £9) 

I'll be buying additional storage later on in the year either another 256gb ssd with 1tb drive or simply just a 1tb drive ( I Won't be installing that much stuff just a few games and university work )

Will I get away with the 500w power supply or should I upgrade to a 600w ? I plan on over-clocking (once I find out how to do that) 

The motherboard is the bit I'm completely clueless on, I picked that one due to the 4 usb 3.0's and HDMI port. Not even sure if it'll work with the i5 haha ! 

Already bought a 24" asus screen, the wee cooler and the ram but not the rest... because i'm clueless ! :D

First of all, the difference between the Zotac and the EVGA 970 isn't alot, it's a brand preference.

Second, you need a 4690K if you even want to overclock your i5 at all, paired with a Z97 chipset motherboard and decent cooling.

Getting a 256GB SSD and later on a 1TB HDD is fine and will be plenty.

A 500w power supply is more than enough, even for overclocking because the low TDP of the GTX 970.

And pick any motherboard with the right chipset which has the features you want.

Good luck!

Awesome thank you ! So I can't overclock at all ? Not even the graphics card ? Is it still a good enough rig to not have to be overclocked to play most games in 1080p ? 

Is the build that's on part picker acceptable then ? :D

-

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics ;)

Your pcpartpicker link isn't working for me, remember you need to copy the one tagged as "permalink", not the one in the address page.

If the price difference is only 9£ get the 4590. Don't bother with two ssds, it doesn't make sense. Get a 256gb ssd and a 1tb hdd later. And yes, 500w are enough, what's more important is if the psu is reliable.

The 4590 CAN be overclocked a bit, if you have a motherboard that supports overclocking.

The 970 can be overclokced on any motherboard.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sorry haha I wasn't sure where to post this ! :D

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gyhyZL That might work haha ! Could you please tell me if that motherboard supports overclocking ?  If the link still doesn't work it's a "MSI H81M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 motherboard" 

I've found a £35 EVGA 500w power supply and the reviews seem alright :D