New guy here! Looking for help with an upcoming purchase!

btgio

Hey guys!

So I recently came across one of Linus' videos explaining what to be looking for in a gaming monitor and he mentioned coming here for advice and suggestions, so I'm all ears! 

Here's the deal: Instead of having a Christmas list or going on vacation this year, my parents told me that I can fully furnish my room within a $2000 budget for Christmas. Thus, I am looking for a desk set-up with two 25"-27" monitors to be used for gaming (Xbox One) and everyday computer use (occasional movie watching, but other than that, standard web browsing). 

So, I ask, which monitor makes most sense? I am thinking of getting two of the same product so I can have a uniform look. Linus' video suggests a response time of 1-2 MS for a competitive gamer (I am) and an input lag below 10 MS, and I think those two things are important qualities. Assuming I don't want to go over $350 per monitor, which brands/models fit my needs and are within that size range? 

Any advice you guys have will be hugely appreciated! And, I know this isn't the place, but if anyone has an "L-shaped" desk in mind that would help with my set-up, don't hesitate to mention it! 

Do not go overkill with a 120hz/144hz competitive gaming monitor, because If you are playing on console then you are not going to take advantage of the extra framerate since an Xbone can only go to 60fps. I would go for a good, low response time, IPS panel 27 inch monitor, and maybe 2 if you wish.

Some suggestions (no experience with these whatsoever, just the standard search):

http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418983843&sr=8-2&keywords=27+inch+ips

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-927M9-IPS-LED-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418983843&sr=8-1&keywords=27+inch+ips

You can probably just look up some more, nothing special for your needs. Just get any 27 inch IPS monitor :)

"My signature is in Comic Sans, and therefore I am cool" - Anonymous

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.2 Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x97 RAM: 16GB DDR3 Ram GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked SSD: 256GB SSD (OS) HDD: 1T 7200RPM Case:BitFenix Coloussus Venom Edition PSU:EVGA 850W Gold Fully Modular OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit

I really like my Monoprice Zero-G IPS 1440p monitor. I got it for $280 on cyber Monday but you can still get it for around $350 after shipping directly from Monoprice. Although you won't really use it to the full potential on an Xbox. You might be better off with a cheap 24in 1080p IPS monitors. 

find a good, affordable, bog-standard monitor. If you're going for response times and input lag, you want a TN panel (Shots fired, sorry, everyone, but you need a TN panel for speed 99% 0f the time.)

You don't need a ton of options for the monitor, just make sure the monitors have vesa mounts.

Also, probably really shooting myself in the foot, but does the Xbone even support dual monitors? Do you have a PC you can use? Because now, that, that, we can help you with.

mmmmight be worth putting some of that $2K to handy use in a PC if you're going for high-res gaming in any case.

@btgio

Seriously, you can grab tons of cheap furniture from a Salvo or thrift store. Get a chair and a desk there for like $70 and then spend like $8-900 on a gaming rig. hell, spend more if you like. You'll be orders of magnitude happier, because the Xbone, like it or not, is far too underpowered to be used for competitive gaming, especially with multi-monitor setups. You need a proper computer with a proper graphics card for that sort of thing, not a console. The Radeon 7870 for instance will tear the throat out of any console in any game, and that card is older than the consoles.

And if you get a nice $1500 system with say, an i5/i7 and dual GTX 970s (I can fit that into that budget, just say the word), you will max out any game even at 1080p surround. (though 290Xs are better for that purpose.)

Do not go overkill with a 120hz/144hz competitive gaming monitor, because If you are playing on console then you are not going to take advantage of the extra framerate since an Xbone can only go to 60fps. I would go for a good, low response time, IPS panel 27 inch monitor, and maybe 2 if you wish.

Some suggestions (no experience with these whatsoever, just the standard search):

http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418983843&sr=8-2&keywords=27+inch+ips

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-927M9-IPS-LED-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418983843&sr=8-1&keywords=27+inch+ips

You can probably just look up some more, nothing special for your needs. Just get any 27 inch IPS monitor :)

Agreed, 120/144hz is pointless for console, unless of course you plan to come over and join the PC master race  :P

Corsair Obsidian 350D Chassis / i7 4790K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Strix GTX 970 / 16GB Red Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 Mhz / Asus Maximus VII Gene / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Crucial 250GB SSD / Crucial 480GB SSD / Seagate 1T Barracuda 7,200 RPM SATA III / Seasonic G750W PSU / ASUS Vulcan Headset / Corsair M65 / Corsair K70  / Razer Vespula Mouse Mat / 2 x 22" LG 22EA63 Monitors @ 1080p / 1 x 24" BenQ 144 Hz Gaming Monitor -   :P

Wow guys, thanks for the overwhelming and quick responses. I'll add a few more things to my original post:

1) I totally respect computer gamers, but I've just never been good with computer controls and do much better with consoles. And when I say "competitive" gaming, I mean more that when I play FIFA and I lose I will at least consider breaking my controller in frustration. I'm not looking to make any money doing it, I just don't want to deal with input lag, which bugs me when I come home from my dorm (32" inch Vizio) to a larger screen at home. 

2) I already have a TV to use for my room (49" M-Series Vizio), so I don't need to get another. 

3) I am in fact looking for a new desktop, but as I said it would be more for browsing, movies and the like. Nothing too serious. Any ideas for a moderately powered machine that fits that bill? I've been mostly a laptop guy over the past few years and haven't bought a desktop that actually has a tower in a long time, so your expertise would be appreciated here. 

4) What does everybody thinking of this monitor (brought up earlier in the post) to have one with my Xbox and the other with my computer? http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418983843&sr=8-2&keywords=27+inch+ips

5) A technical question: Is it possible to have the computer use the dual-monitor function and then when I want to play games, switch back to one TV for gaming and the other for the computer? 

Thanks again for your help! You guys have been awesome! 

Giving an Xbox One dual 1080p monitors to drive when it can't even handle a single 1080p monitor is a bit like an olympic weightlifting gold medalist giving his dumbells to a six-year-old girl while he does up his laces. It's not a million miles away from the 5K iMac's screen being driven by an M290X, and what Wendell said on that holds true for the Xbone as well. "It's probably the magic resolution as far as that goes. in terms of like, being able to push that many pixels for gaming, uuuh, no, the [Xbox One APU]... uh, no... it's not gonna do it. it's just... it's just not gonna do it."

4) What does everybody thinking of this monitor (brought up earlier in the post) to have one with my Xbox and the other with my computer? http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418983843&sr=8-2&keywords=27+inch+ips

5) A technical question: Is it possible to have the computer use the dual-monitor function and then when I want to play games, switch back to one TV for gaming and the other for the computer? 

That monitor is decent but its response time is 5ms, which might be a little high if you play competitively, you might want to consider this monitor - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HNEBLK/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B0043T7FKC Also you can have one monitor displaying your computer and the other showing the Xbox, if that is what you are asking.

Wow guys, thanks for the overwhelming and quick responses. I'll add a few more things to my original post:

1) I totally respect computer gamers, but I've just never been good with computer controls and do much better with consoles. And when I say "competitive" gaming, I mean more that when I play FIFA and I lose I will at least consider breaking my controller in frustration. I'm not looking to make any money doing it, I just don't want to deal with input lag, which bugs me when I come home from my dorm (32" inch Vizio) to a larger screen at home. 

2) I already have a TV to use for my room (49" M-Series Vizio), so I don't need to get another. 

3) I am in fact looking for a new desktop, but as I said it would be more for browsing, movies and the like. Nothing too serious. Any ideas for a moderately powered machine that fits that bill? I've been mostly a laptop guy over the past few years and haven't bought a desktop that actually has a tower in a long time, so your expertise would be appreciated here. 

If your PC is good enough for 2 monitors, then you can use one monitor for console gaming and then switch between console and PC. I have this setup at the moment, as I occasionally switch to my PS3 on my main monitor to play some GTA V :D

"My signature is in Comic Sans, and therefore I am cool" - Anonymous

CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.2 Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x97 RAM: 16GB DDR3 Ram GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked SSD: 256GB SSD (OS) HDD: 1T 7200RPM Case:BitFenix Coloussus Venom Edition PSU:EVGA 850W Gold Fully Modular OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit

1) Any controller from any platform in history since the console was invented will work seamlessly on a PC, especially the xbone and the PS4 controllers. hell, even the Wii controllers work with PCs. Let us help you set yourself up with a nice gaming rig. You don't need to make unnecessary compromises on performance just to use an Xbox controller. Knowing that...

3) Come to New Builds and Planning under The Workbench section of the forum, post a thread for suggestions for a new build. Specify your resolution setup and budget, and don't be shy. You have a healthy amount you can spend on a PC. Don't waste it on tons of furniture. here, shortcut. http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

I spend a good chunk of my time on New Builds threads because I like helping people with new computers. Let us help you.

4) Beautiful panel. As long as you don't mind not having displayport, many adjustable options or a VESA mount, you'll be happy with it. Here's my suggestion. http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2769Vm-27-Inch-Frameless-LED-Lit/dp/B00CLZ04VW

5) You can totally do that. if your monitor has multiple inputs (it does) you can do that if you so desire. just switch the inputs on the monitors.

well you do not need a 1080p monitor the xbox one can only play 720p.  :o  :o  :o  hqdefault.jpg