clock_watchdog_timeout while stressing CPU and both GPUs at 100%

NumeroSieben

i7 4790k @1.3v and 4.6Ghz OC

two GTX 970s from MSI at 1500Mhz core, 8Ghz memory

750W EVGA PSU (gold rated)

Maximus VII hero motherboard

When i run folding@home for quite a few hours, as i tend to during the day while browsing the internet and not gaming while its still cool enough to fully vent the heat out of my room i tend to get a crash after a while stating my PC encountered a problem and has to close. I'm running windows 8.1 and it says clock_watchdog_timeout

The computer restarts just fine, and can even go back to folding for a few hours before it does it again. I've reproduced it three times now and have just stopped because i've identified its not just a freak occurance but a repeatable thing.

This appears to be unique to Folding@home which stresses both my GPUs and my CPU at the same time, as during my overclocking process i ran AIDA64 for 12 hours to make sure my CPU was stable, and i've extensively stress tested the GPUs with Unigine Heaven for long stress tests and Firemark Extreme 

Could this be an issue of overheating after several hours of 100% causing the room temperature to raise to the point the internal case temps rise too high? my CPU usually sits at 78-80 degrees and my GPUs at 70 and 62 degrees respectively 

Do you know what Folding@home is and what it does?

It uses your PC resources (CPU and GPU) to decode data, so yes it will max your CPU and GPU, you can change it in the settings to be OFF, Medium and High etc .

i7 4790k @1.3v and 4.6Ghz OC

two GTX 970s from MSI at 1500Mhz core, 8Ghz memory

750W EVGA PSU (gold rated)

Maximus VII hero motherboard

When i run folding@home for quite a few hours, as i tend to during the day while browsing the internet and not gaming while its still cool enough to fully vent the heat out of my room i tend to get a crash after a while stating my PC encountered a problem and has to close. I'm running windows 8.1 and it says clock_watchdog_timeout

The computer restarts just fine, and can even go back to folding for a few hours before it does it again. I've reproduced it three times now and have just stopped because i've identified its not just a freak occurance but a repeatable thing.

This appears to be unique to Folding@home which stresses both my GPUs and my CPU at the same time, as during my overclocking process i ran AIDA64 for 12 hours to make sure my CPU was stable, and i've extensively stress tested the GPUs with Unigine Heaven for long stress tests and Firemark Extreme 

Could this be an issue of overheating after several hours of 100% causing the room temperature to raise to the point the internal case temps rise too high? my CPU usually sits at 78-80 degrees and my GPUs at 70 and 62 degrees respectively 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Yes i'm fully aware of what it does, i was just wondering if the clock_watchdog thing is avoidable, or if it is some kind of unavoidable crash because the strain of 100% on the components is too much, although that makes me think it could be unstable as it doesn't take that long to crash, only a few hours

If your Maxing out your CPU and using Folding@homt then Nope you wont avoid it, That error is a Hardware error, its about the CPU clock. Your CPU is at 100% working in overdrive and its becomes unresponsive and slowly out of sync so data mishaps happens causing the system to crash.

"

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT Parameters

The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description

Clock interrupt time-out interval, in nominal clock ticks

The address of the processor control block (PRCB) for the unresponsive processor

Cause

The specified processor is not processing interrupts. Typically, this occurs when the processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked."

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

oh i see, so if i was to run folding@home at say, medium setting so the CPU wasn't constantly at 100% in its overclocked state it would avoid the issue because it would give it a chance to keep the data in sync? 

very much appreciated for the help!

Yes and no, Its alot less likely. The issue isnt exactly Folding@home, just the CPU hitting 100%. Even if its off and it spikes to 100% for a few seconds it could happen.

you can run it at 50% but then your own multitasking could make it go to 100% or much higher then normal.

oh i see, so if i was to run folding@home at say, medium setting so the CPU wasn't constantly at 100% in its overclocked state it would avoid the issue because it would give it a chance to keep the data in sync? 

very much appreciated for the help!