COMPONENT ADVICE

jm7games
Go to solution Solved by Emorphasiss,

1)genrally more cores is always better and yes technically core clock leads to better performance but when compairing cpus side by side this doesnt always help go for the i7 quad core it has hyperthreading which isnt technically more cores but in supported software behaves much the same i would recommend the intel cpu the fx7600 is gonna be around the perfrmance of an older i5 cpu

2)Yes, yes it is dont bother with a pro card just get a gtx 970m 770m or however much you can afford bigger second number (the 8 in 980) is better and the first number just means which generation it is. Just make sure the software you whish to use supports opengl or kuda. if it only supports one buy a nvidia gpu if its kuda or a amd gpu for opengl if its both i recommend the nvidia due to there lower power requirements and heat output.

3)yes a better cpu would still help alot when it comes down to it

Hope this helps any other questions please ask:)

hi, im new to the whole components thing, ive always just bought a pc that looked good lol

anyway looking to buy a LAPTOP, (yes, it has to be a laptop unfortunately) for video editing/rendering.

ill be making approx. 10 min videos adding some affects/overlays etc. rendering it and uploading it to youtube.

now before you all tell me, yes I am aware that pretty much any laptop is capable of this kind of basic editing and rendering but I want to do it as fast as possible and do not care about how bad the laptop is at anything else as the only time I will be using it is to make yt videos.

so ive got a few questions to help me decide on specs, if we could all avoid being fanboys for particular brands and just stick to facts that would be great :-) thanks everyone

1) do cores and clock speed both affect render times or is it just cores that affect it and clock speed not so much ? ( assuming both cpus have same tasks per cycle or whatever its called)

2) is gpu rendering (cuda/opencl) noticeably faster than cpu rendering ?

3) if I was rendering with my gpu would the specs of my cpu affect gpu render times ? e.g rendered same clip with same gpu with 2 different cpu's would render times be different ?

now let me tell you what im thinking atm, if the best way to get fastest render time is, more cores, higher clock speed, gpu rendering all together then in my head the best mobile processer for my scenario is the amd fx 7600p, let me explain my thinking,

first off, NVidia cards cannot combine with intel onboard graphics like hd4000 etc. (I think)

amd cards can combine with amd apu's so gpu rendering with both a card and an apu at the same time to me sounds faster

even without a dedicated gpu the fact the apu has gpu cores makes me think it would render faster than an i7 anyway without a dedicated card

the fx7600p has 12 compute cores, a quad core i7 has 8 virtual cores, whats the difference ?

if you've read this far then I salute you and thanks for any help anyone can give

For rendering and video editing as fast as possible you would want to get a i7 with as many cores as you can afford. More cores will help reduce the time it takes. Also a higher clock speed will help too but i would focus on cores and getting a high end i7 as clock speed wont help too much unless you oc which i would stay away from on a laptop. So I would go with at least a 6 core i7 and not worry about clock speed.

As for cpu vs gpu rendering I cant really help you. :/

For AMD vs Intel in rendering, yes more cores from what ive seen helps rendering times. BUT I do know that AMD's cores are not as strong as Intels, so an 8 core AMD cpu would probably perform about the same as a 4 core i7. And the 8 core i7 5960X "i think thats what its called" should easily outperform any AMD cpu currently on the market in terms of rendering/video editing.

i7 4790K @4.7GHz; MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition; Klevv Neo 4x4Gb 2400Mhz; PNY GeForce GTX 980; Crucial M500 240GB SSD; Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD; Corsair RM750; NZXT Kraken X61 

1)genrally more cores is always better and yes technically core clock leads to better performance but when compairing cpus side by side this doesnt always help go for the i7 quad core it has hyperthreading which isnt technically more cores but in supported software behaves much the same i would recommend the intel cpu the fx7600 is gonna be around the perfrmance of an older i5 cpu

2)Yes, yes it is dont bother with a pro card just get a gtx 970m 770m or however much you can afford bigger second number (the 8 in 980) is better and the first number just means which generation it is. Just make sure the software you whish to use supports opengl or kuda. if it only supports one buy a nvidia gpu if its kuda or a amd gpu for opengl if its both i recommend the nvidia due to there lower power requirements and heat output.

3)yes a better cpu would still help alot when it comes down to it

Hope this helps any other questions please ask:)

For rendering and video editing as fast as possible you would want to get a i7 with as many cores as you can afford. More cores will help reduce the time it takes. Also a higher clock speed will help too but i would focus on cores and getting a high end i7 as clock speed wont help too much unless you oc which i would stay away from on a laptop. So I would go with at least a 6 core i7 and not worry about clock speed.

As for cpu vs gpu rendering I cant really help you. :/

For AMD vs Intel in rendering, yes more cores from what ive seen helps rendering times. BUT I do know that AMD's cores are not as strong as Intels, so an 8 core AMD cpu would probably perform about the same as a 4 core i7. And the 8 core i7 5960X "i think thats what its called" should easily outperform any AMD cpu currently on the market in terms of rendering/video editing.

You dont have to have a cpu as powerful as a six core for rendering short footage but it definetly helps

i7 5960x is a desktop cpu not a laptop cpu and you dont need a $1000 cpu for rendering its for bleeding edge pros who need it and enthusiets

You dont have to have a cpu as powerful as a six core for rendering short footage but it definetly helps

i7 5960x is a desktop cpu not a laptop cpu and you dont need a $1000 cpu for rendering its for bleeding edge pros who need it and enthusiets

No i dont have a cpu good for rendering very quickly but i dont really ever do any of that so thats why i have this one instead and yes i know it is a desktop cpu i was just trying to make a point.

i7 4790K @4.7GHz; MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition; Klevv Neo 4x4Gb 2400Mhz; PNY GeForce GTX 980; Crucial M500 240GB SSD; Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD; Corsair RM750; NZXT Kraken X61 

the thing i would recomend if you are using a laptop on the go is having a look and feel for it things like track pad and keyboard will make your life so much easier if they are nice and if you are going to be using it on the go make sure you have alot of battery life things like alienware m18s are very powerful but have the battery life of a half eaten sandwich. also nice screen is nice:)

if you plan to just walk around different desks with keyboard mouse and power cable at hand then just forget about what ive just said:L

SNIP

There are more important things to consider in a laptop than just CPU/GPU performance

the display, the battery life, weight, keyboard etc

thats why retina macbook pros are so popular with mobile editors, very powerful, small package, well built, amazing displays etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No i dont have a cpu good for rendering very quickly but i dont really ever do any of that so thats why i have this one instead and yes i know it is a desktop cpu i was just trying to make a point.

no sorry you may have mistaken me i was just stating that you dont need a 6/8 core cpu for video rendering i have a i5 3570k and 670 and i render quite long footage. it works fine for the most part.

oh and oshtro have you got your 4670k to 4.5ghz thats a beastly oc is it stable what cooling you have?

no sorry you may have mistaken me i was just stating that you dont need a 6/8 core cpu for video rendering i have a i5 3570k and 670 and i render quite long footage. it works fine for the most part.

Oh alright, well yes you can do rendering/video editing with any cpu. Having more cores just speed up the process, which is what he was asking about. 

-Yes, it is currently at 4.5GHz. It was at 4.7GHz/1.35 vcore but that finally starting wearing on it I guess and I can no longer run the 4.7 :( tis stable at an uncomfortable 1.37 vcore, but I plan to get an i7 4790k soon anyways. I have the Kraken X61 liquid cooling and this amazing Indigo Xtreme thermal compound that brought my temps down from 80+ during prime95 to ~65 during prime95 xD

thanks everyone for your input

the guys talking bout keyboards and battery etc. like I said I don't care about anything else apart from render speed,

I will always have the laptop plugged in (needs to be a laptop to go from mums to dads house, but will only be using it at home) display I can plug it into my tv etc so like I said I don't care about anything other than render speed.

to the person recommending 6/8 cores the most cores you can get on an intel mobile cpu is 4 with hyperthreading and on amd the best you can get is 4 with 8 gpu cores, so for a laptop the best is either:

intel i7 4 real core - 8 overall

amd fx7600p 4 real core - 12 overall

surely the amd (for rendering and nothing else) would be better ?

thanks everyone for your input

the guys talking bout keyboards and battery etc. like I said I don't care about anything else apart from render speed,

I will always have the laptop plugged in (needs to be a laptop to go from mums to dads house, but will only be using it at home) display I can plug it into my tv etc so like I said I don't care about anything other than render speed.

to the person recommending 6/8 cores the most cores you can get on an intel mobile cpu is 4 with hyperthreading and on amd the best you can get is 4 with 8 gpu cores, so for a laptop the best is either:

intel i7 4 real core - 8 overall

amd fx7600p 4 real core - 12 overall

surely the amd (for rendering and nothing else) would be better ?

I would still think intel would outperform amd as is stated earlier because of the fact that intels cores are stronger but im not 100% sure so that might be something to look into.

hard to really find as theres currently only 1 laptop with the fx7600p so not really any videos about it atm

hard to really find as theres currently only 1 laptop with the fx7600p so not really any videos about it atm

From what i saw looking in to it a little, an i7 will still outperform and laptop AMD processor.