Best Nvidia card for AMD FX build

dglenn247

Ok, i have some money to finally do my dream build. I love amd processors, but prefer Nvidia graphics cards. Can someone help me decide which card or cards i should buy for my build. Money isnt too important here, but i dont want to pay too much. As i wont be doing another build for several years, I want to have some good lasting hardware.

My build so far is going to be:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n2252[/ATTACH]

anything that you would suggest i change, please feel free to let me know.

I will take all serious suggestions into consideration. Everything is negotiable except switching to intel. I just dont have the $$ to buy Intel CPU.

Thank you! :)

Mixing AMD and nVidia is a terrible idea. Unless you only play games with Physx I would go with a 7970 GHz edition for the best bang for your buck. Or you could wait a couple months and wait for the 8000 series or GTX 700

Benchmarks http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555

Recommended card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

Case: Corsair 400r

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x6 1055T 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 (2013 edition)

GPU: Saphire Toxic 6950 (OC'd to 6970)

GPU Cooler: Accelero Twin Turbo II

dglenn427, it doesn't matter if you mix nVidia's GPU's with AMD processor's. That's a solid build, but why spend nearly $500 on a video card and around $250~ on a processor? If I were you I'd get a i5 3570K or a i7 3770K if your willing to spend a bit more coin on the processor, the motherboard will also be a tad more expensive. The only reason why I'm mentioning something about the processor is that the AMD FX 8350 could bottleneck with the GTX 680 but I doubt it. Otherwise nice build bro!

dglenn427, it doesn't matter if you mix nVidia's GPU's with AMD processor's. That's a solid build, but why spend nearly $500 on a video card and around $250~ on a processor? If I were you I'd get a i5 3570K or a i7 3770K if your willing to spend a bit more coin on the processor, the motherboard will also be a tad more expensive. The only reason why I'm mentioning something about the processor is that the AMD FX 8350 could bottleneck with the GTX 680 but I doubt it. Otherwise nice build bro!
i would deff go with the i5 3570k over the fx anyday for gameing and if u want a good 680 go with the evga classified 4gb and for mobo msi mpower is a good motherbord i own the mpower and the evga classified 4gb card my self and the 3570k plus if u went with msi motherbord over asus one u have a better luck not geting a doa bord like u prob would get if u went with asus

thank you all for your fast replies. After some consideration, With thought into how i have had trouble in the past with ATI/AMD graphics cards. I still plan on using Nvidia, partially for Physix, partially for past experiences.

I have gone through and made a similar build up using mostly the same accessories, but with Intel core.

Here it is, What do you think? This is still using the Asus gtx680. Since that was my main question earlier, any thoughts on picking this card, or switching to sli 660ti?

My monitor will be an led tv until i can find an LG EA93 29-inch IPS. Not planning on multi plexing yet, or nvidia surround.

Here is the build list:[ATTACH=CONFIG]n2265[/ATTACH]

this is only a few hundred more than the AMD build.

thank you all for your fast replies. After some consideration, With thought into how i have had trouble in the past with ATI/AMD graphics cards. I still plan on using Nvidia, partially for Physix, partially for past experiences.

I have gone through and made a similar build up using mostly the same accessories, but with Intel core.

Here it is, What do you think? This is still using the Asus gtx680. Since that was my main question earlier, any thoughts on picking this card, or switching to sli 660ti?

My monitor will be an led tv until i can find an LG EA93 29-inch IPS. Not planning on multi plexing yet, or nvidia surround.

Here is the build list:[ATTACH=CONFIG]n2265[/ATTACH]

this is only a few hundred more than the AMD build.

the i7 3770k is not as good as the i5 3570k for gameing and the evga 680 classified is way better then the asus

Would you explain why the i5 is better than the i7? Are they both 1155 socket?

Would you explain why the i5 is better than the i7? Are they both 1155 socket?
That's because the i7s have hyperthreading while the i5s do not. Since most, if not all games do not take advantage of hyperthreading, getting an i7 is just money wasted for a pure gaming rig.

Mixing AMD and nVidia is a terrible idea. Unless you only play games with Physx I would go with a 7970 GHz edition for the best bang for your buck. Or you could wait a couple months and wait for the 8000 series or GTX 700

Benchmarks http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555

Recommended card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

...and why would it be a "terrible idea"???

the diffrence between a 670 and 680 is marginal at best , the money you'd save going with a 670 would mean you could pretty much get any cpu/motherboard you want. if we're talking 1080p 60hz gaming even a 670 is overkill.

i will be doing some video encoding, a small amount of programming, and gaming is my priority. Does the hyper threading help any of those actions?

Thank you tacticalpanic, its a great help to have your input. So, does anyone suggest doing 660ti in sli over a single 670 or 680?

I think a AMD FX 8350 paired with a 670 non reference of your choice would make for a great system. no ones commented on the power supply you've picked on that list but its power is over twice what you need for that configuration.

I have a single 660 ti in my setup and it runs the latest games on max , i do have to watch how high I put AA settings on that card though , the 670 is a little better at it in that regard.

two 660 ti's in SLI work out about 20% faster than a 680 , but you pay 20% exstra cash to get them.

I think a AMD FX 8350 paired with a 670 non reference of your choice would make for a great system. no ones commented on the power supply you've picked on that list but its power is over twice what you need for that configuration. I have a single 660 ti in my setup and it runs the latest games on max ' date=' i do have to watch how high I put AA settings on that card though , the 670 is a little better at it in that regard. two 660 ti's in SLI work out about 20% faster than a 680 , but you pay 20% exstra cash to get them. [/quote']

I agree, why is an AMD CPU bad with an nvidia graphics card?! Everyone who says its a bad combo should check this video:

(i5 3570K vs FX 8350 with GTX 670)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --