MFW Alienware

Syntaxvgm

Alienware has a GPU dock that only works for their 13 inch laptop.
Before it only came with a dual core 4 thread i5-4210U.
Customers complained that there was no better option. This also prevented me from buying it (I love the GPU dock, and I'm a laptop expert, you don't have to tell me it's overpriced. I know, but in addition to this dock alienware is the only one to have HDMI input)

So dell listened to its customers, and the Alienware 13 now comes with a new i7-4510U option. Slightly higher clocked at a whopping 2GHz, this beast comes with 2 cores and 4 threads....
wait...
2 cores and 4 threads

"We listened to your complaints about a 1.7GHz dual core CPU and added a 2GHZ Dual core cpu option. Because it's that much better. It has a 7 instead of a 5 after all"

MFW alienware. 
YcnHRkc.jpg

Back to waiting I guess, unless another laptop manufacturer has a dock or some form of thunderbolt or something with 8x PCIe lanes AND HDMI input.
But currently Alienware, as has been for years with the exception of one clevo laptop, is the only band to have HDMI input.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Why am I not surprised...

GG Alienware.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

What pisses me off is not only is this still under powered for the GPU dock, this is a pure insult to intelligence their customers. It's just saying they know their customers are gonna think it's top tier because i7. 

Which is true, but at least act like you are not actively trying to take advantage of your customers' ignorance. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I wasn't even aware that a duel core mobile HT i7 existed... I knew there was dual core i5's for mobile, but this does nothing for the i7 brand or Dell, it just tricks people into thinking they got an i7 so it must be good.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I wasn't even aware that a duel core mobile HT i7 existed... I knew there was dual core i5's for mobile, but this does nothing for the i7 brand or Dell, it just tricks people into thinking they got an i7 so it must be good.

Since the first gen i7s actually, they are very common. I owned one at some point even. It's odd because HT exists on laptop i5's but not desktop, and so on.

I don't like intel's branding, but it's smart because i3-i5-i7 is easy to understand for the computer illeterate

It must be fast for gaming, it has an i7 (buys a laptop with a hd3000)

muh specs 

All parts black

This is pathetic...

It is. While I don't think alienware is the first with an official laptop eGPU dock, combined with HDMI input, with the correct updates to their whole laptop line and good marketing this is an outside the box idea that could have given them a leg up in the informed enthusiast martket

muh specs 

All parts black

Nothing to do here..

post-104353-0-93652600-1418673123.gif

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Didn't MSI release and e-gpu chassis thingy? Have you looked at that?

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Didn't MSI release and e-gpu chassis thingy? Have you looked at that?

Is that out yet?

I didn't like the fact with their solution it's a dock instead of a cable. I still want to play on the laptop screen. They don't have HDMI input either.

muh specs 

All parts black

Alienware has a GPU dock that only works for their 13 inch laptop.

Before it only came with a dual core 4 thread i5-4210U.

Customers complained that there was no better option. This also prevented me from buying it (I love the GPU dock, and I'm a laptop expert, you don't have to tell me it's overpriced. I know, but in addition to this dock alienware is the only one to have HDMI input)

So dell listened to its customers, and the Alienware 13 now comes with a new i7-4510U option. Slightly higher clocked at a whopping 2GHz, this beast comes with 2 cores and 4 threads....

wait...

2 cores and 4 threads

"We listened to your complains about a 1.7GHz dual core CPU and added a 2GHZ Dual core cpu option. Because it's that much better. It has a 7 instead of a 5 after all"

MFW alienware. 

YcnHRkc.jpg

Back to waiting I guess, unless another laptop manufacturer has a dock or some form of thunderbolt or something with 8x PCIe lanes AND HDMI input.

But currently Alienware, as has been for years with the exception of one clevo laptop, is the only band to have HDMI input.

only 2 FRICKEN GHZ this is a discrace aleinware a discrace

Hi friend.Who are you?

When a fucking PHONE has a faster processor then your computer

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

only 2 FRICKEN GHZ this is a discrace aleinware a discrace

The 2 cores/4 threads  gets me the most. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I think Alienware has a reputation of focusing on making PC's for people that don't know a lot about them. This is basically giving the finger to the people who do know their tech that were interested in the laptop.

Are HDMI ports that rare on laptops? My mid range laptop has one.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I think Alienware has a reputation of focusing on making PC's for people that don't know a lot about them. This is basically giving the finger to the people who do know their tech that were interested in the laptop.

Are HDMI ports that rare on laptops? My mid range laptop has one.

HDMI Input

My current alienware laptop has a separate HDMI port I can use to plug things into it and display them on the laptop screen. Cery nice feature, and would be killer on consumer laptops that are not so thick and heavy. 

With an eGPU , one could loop the GPU output back into the laptop display on alienwares. 

Problem is, the smallest alienware laptop, besides being super weak CPU wise, traditionally lacks hdmi input for some fucking dumb reason, it being the device that would benefit the most. This is my gripe on them not having the dock for the 17 and the 18. 

With the 900m series, I hope the laptops get a refresh and support the dock as well, not just the 13. 

muh specs 

All parts black

HDMI Input

My current alienware laptop has a separate HDMI port I can use to plug things into it and display them on the laptop screen. Cery nice feature, and would be killer on consumer laptops that are not so thick and heavy. 

With an eGPU , one could loop the GPU output back into the laptop display on alienwares. 

That clears it up, didn't know that. Would certainly be a nice feature that some could really use, maybe the manufacturers just haven't noticed the eGPU market that much.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

That clears it up, didn't know that. Would certainly be a nice feature that some could really use, maybe the manufacturers just haven't noticed the eGPU market that much.

I forgot to add this until now

Problem is, the smallest alienware laptop, besides being super weak CPU wise, traditionally lacks hdmi input for some fucking dumb reason, it being the device that would benefit the most. This is my gripe on them not having the dock for the 17 and the 18.

With the 900m series, I hope the laptops get a refresh and support the dock as well, not just the 13.

muh specs 

All parts black