GPU Artifacting, dead?

UnknownEngineer
Go to solution Solved by vlkn´,

Contact the store you bought it from, probaly the gpu memory is damaged due to bad cooling.

Try your luck :D

So my GPU finally decided to die, after almost half a year of BSOD's that I could only blame on the GPU it finally started artifacting.

I was simply watching some anime and my screen just blinked into a grey static, vertical lines throughout the screen. Even the Asrock logo (BIOS screen) had 2 similar beams running over it vertically upon restarting.

There is no doubt about what is causing this, the GPU is done for?

There isn't a whole lot of dust on the GPU, I think I cleaned the dust off it a week or 2 ago, everything looks good on the outside. I am not really worried about the situation as I know that the GPU is still under warranty, 3 year warranty and I have only had it for 1 year and 9 months. The problem is that I have OC'd the card by using AMD overdrive, the stock boost on my GPU was ~950MHz or 850, (was a really bad sample I guess), I had it OC'd to 1015MHz and later on just 1000MHz.

I am also wondering if I need any physical documentation for returning it, all I have is an email and the GPU itself, the papers that came with it are currently missing. Also, should I contact Gigabyte or the store I got it from (Jimms.fi).

I am currently running on the IGPU of my CPU for the second time in my life, last time I did this was when I was waiting for my 7950 to arrive.

TLDR:

1. Can I return the GPU still? Even after some OC:ing through AMD catalyst.

2. Do I have sufficient documentation for returning it, will I need all the papers that came with it?

3. Who should I contact, Gigabyte or the store (Jimms.fi)

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I think you loose warranty if damaged by oc.

WARNING:  AMD processors are intended to be operated only within their associated specifications and factory settings.  Operating your AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings, including but not limited to the conducting of overclocking (including use of this overclocking software, even if such software has been directly or indirectly provided by AMD or otherwise affiliated in any way with AMD), may damage your processor and/or lead to other problems, including but not limited to, damage to your system components (including your motherboard and components thereon (e.g. memory)), system instabilities (e.g. data loss and corrupted images), reduction in system performance, shortened processor, system component and/or system life and in extreme cases, total system failure.  AMD does not provide support or service for issues or damages related to use of an AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings.  You may also not receive support or service from your board or system manufacturer. Please make sure you have saved all important data before using this overclocking software.  DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR BOARD OR SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY.

WARNING: The software that has been directly or indirectly provided by AMD or an entity otherwise affiliated with AMD may disable or alter: (1) software including features and functions in the operating system, drivers and applications, and other system settings; and (2) system services.  WHEN THE MATERIALS ARE USED TO DISABLE OR ALTER THESE ITEMS IN WHOLE OR PART, YOU MAY EXPERIENCE (A) INCREASED RISKS THAT CERTAIN SECURITY FUNCTIONS DO NOT FUNCTION THEREBY EXPOSING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM TO POTENTIAL SECURITY THREATS INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, HARM FROM VIRUSES, WORMS AND OTHER HARMFUL SOFTWARE; ( B) PERFORMANCE AND INTEROPERABILITY ISSUES THAT MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR EXPERIENCE AND THE STABILITY OF YOUR COMPUTING SYSTEM; AND © OTHER EXPERIENCES RESULTING IN ADVERSE EFFECTS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED, TO DATA CORRUPTION OR LOSS.

downclock the card see if its just an unstable overclock. i also recommend using a tool to play with clock speeds that is not a POS, such as afterburner, etc

Overclocking shouldn't void your warrenty, and even if it does they have no way of nowing you did if you reset it.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

We all know BSOD stands for the following:

Blue

Screen

Of

Death

But what should it stand for? :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I think you loose warranty if damaged by oc.

WARNING:  AMD processors are intended to be operated only within their associated specifications and factory settings.  Operating your AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings, including but not limited to the conducting of overclocking (including use of this overclocking software, even if such software has been directly or indirectly provided by AMD or otherwise affiliated in any way with AMD), may damage your processor and/or lead to other problems, including but not limited to, damage to your system components (including your motherboard and components thereon (e.g. memory)), system instabilities (e.g. data loss and corrupted images), reduction in system performance, shortened processor, system component and/or system life and in extreme cases, total system failure.  AMD does not provide support or service for issues or damages related to use of an AMD processor outside of official AMD specifications or outside of factory settings.  You may also not receive support or service from your board or system manufacturer. Please make sure you have saved all important data before using this overclocking software.  DAMAGES CAUSED BY USE OF YOUR AMD PROCESSOR OUTSIDE OF OFFICIAL AMD SPECIFICATIONS OR OUTSIDE OF FACTORY SETTINGS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER ANY AMD PRODUCT WARRANTY AND MAY NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR BOARD OR SYSTEM MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY.

WARNING: The software that has been directly or indirectly provided by AMD or an entity otherwise affiliated with AMD may disable or alter: (1) software including features and functions in the operating system, drivers and applications, and other system settings; and (2) system services.  WHEN THE MATERIALS ARE USED TO DISABLE OR ALTER THESE ITEMS IN WHOLE OR PART, YOU MAY EXPERIENCE (A) INCREASED RISKS THAT CERTAIN SECURITY FUNCTIONS DO NOT FUNCTION THEREBY EXPOSING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM TO POTENTIAL SECURITY THREATS INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, HARM FROM VIRUSES, WORMS AND OTHER HARMFUL SOFTWARE; ( B) PERFORMANCE AND INTEROPERABILITY ISSUES THAT MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR EXPERIENCE AND THE STABILITY OF YOUR COMPUTING SYSTEM; AND © OTHER EXPERIENCES RESULTING IN ADVERSE EFFECTS, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED, TO DATA CORRUPTION OR LOSS.

It depends more on the manufacturer, if it was a stock GPU I would never have OC'd it. That licence agreement is only for stock cards. /AFAIK

downclock the card see if its just an unstable overclock. i also recommend using a tool to play with clock speeds that is not a POS, such as afterburner, etc

I am pretty sure that I will not be able to use the GPU to change the OC setting, the screen will most likely fill up with static once the drivers load. Also will I still get something on the screen if I use the IGPU while the 7950 is attached? Also, an unstable OC would just have caused a BSOD, even then under load, this happened while I was using chorme.

Contact the store you bought it from, probaly the gpu memory is damaged due to bad cooling.

Store it is then, it is just that some manufacturers ask for the card to returned to the directly, I wanted to know if that is possible with gigabyte.

Overclocking shouldn't void your warrenty, and even if it does they have no way of nowing you did if you reset it.

How would one reset it?

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

We all know BSOD stands for the following:

Blue

Screen

Of

Death

But what should it stand for? :D

I have see a few BSOD's in my time, and BSOD's are not like this. A BSOD doesn't leave artifacts on screen even after 8+ Hours of down-time. I tuned the PC off before it booted to windows again and left i there for the night, the problem still remained.

Spoiler

You don't have to, it's purely software. If you try it in another PC the clocks will be back to stock.

1. I don't have a second PC.

2. Are you sure that the clock settings aren't stored on the GPU? I think the GPU has a BIOS for a reason. Do you have anything that could prove to me the fact that the settings are not stored on the GPU?

Spoiler

No they can't reject returns even if you OCed it. Just don't tell them you did and deny you OCed if they happen to ask you. 

I don't know your country but in mine a receipt or a warranty paper is required for warranty.

Contact Gigabyte directly to get a replacement. Don't contact the store you bought it from. It'll just be extra waiting time added as they have to que yours as well as many others'.

No they can't reject returns even if you OCed it. Just don't tell them you did and deny you OCed if they happen to ask you. 

I don't know your country but in mine a receipt or a warranty paper is required for warranty.

Contact Gigabyte directly to get a replacement. Don't contact the store you bought it from. It'll just be extra waiting time added as they have to que yours as well as many others'.

The order was placed using my email address, wouldn't that suffice as it is essentially the same thing. Also, how would I contact Gigabyte, I have never returned products before.

EDIT:

NWM, apparently Gigabyte wants me to go trough Jimms.

369f751d18.png

No help from them directly to Finland.

Spoiler

1. I don't have a second PC.

2. Are you sure that the clock settings aren't stored on the GPU? I think the GPU has a BIOS for a reason. Do you have anything that could prove to me the fact that the settings are not stored on the GPU?

They are not stored on the GPU, i can 100% guarantee that.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

They are not stored on the GPU, i can 100% guarantee that.

Ok, I am filling out the RMA for for the store as I type.

Thank you for your help everyone, I might make a followup post on how this goes, considering how the GPU I have know is out of stock I have no idea of what I will be getting.

I will be severely disappointed if they replace my 309€ 7950 windforce with a R9 270...

Spoiler

Well see how this goes, just about to send the RMA form, hopefully I wont be left without a GPU...

Spoiler

Thank you for your help everyone, I might make a followup post on how this goes, considering how the GPU I have know is out of stock I have no idea of what I will be getting.

I will be severely disappointed if they replace my 309€ 7950 windforce with a R9 270...

Legally they cannot replace it with something that is worse. They can only replace it with something equivalent or better.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

It would make more sense if they'd replace it with a R9 280 since it's the same chip.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

It would make more sense if they'd replace it with a R9 280 since it's the same chip.

Assuming that I find the paperwork that came with the GPU, otherwise I am getting fucked for Christmas.

Me parents already paid for my drivers licence (~880€), and my brother game me his old car. I can't exactly ask for a GPU in addition to that...

Spoiler