CPU UPGRADE HALP!

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

you should at least look into the CPU/MOBO upgrade. better fluidity of

game play and other daily app usage would increase in speed. 1366

platform is still a viable platform and isn't getting beaten up through

CPU processed functions. not like the 775, although some of those

still have great functionality. $500 pill is tough to let-go in today's life

style. if it were mine, i'd stand pat for now and may be on the lookout

for a friend in need to dump a 1155 platform, till then, game-on.

real-world gain to Haswell 15-25% increase in productivity speed. gaming

prolly same maybe a scosh more.

airdeano

HEY YOU GUYS! 

So... 

I currently have a "Bloomfield" (i7-930) processor in a x58 sabertooth mobo. Recently I been thinking of taking the upgrade path. But... SHOULD I?!

I play a lot WoW. I know WoW isn't a very demanding game but it is a very processor dependent game. My 930 is OC to 4.0 24/7 stable. Has been for 2+ years now. I also run a 7950 @ 1125/1450 and I do play a lot of AAA titles on the side as well. 

What I am wondering, What benefits, if any, would I see jumping to Haswell, or say even a 8350? Will I see any improvements in my gaming experience? 

Basically looking for a reason to drop 500+ USD other than just to have the new "hotness". 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

HEY YOU GUYS! 

So... 

I currently have a "Bloomfield" (i7-930) processor in a x58 sabertooth mobo. Recently I been thinking of taking the upgrade path. But... SHOULD I?!

I play a lot WoW. I know WoW isn't a very demanding game but it is a very processor dependent game. My 930 is OC to 4.0 24/7 stable. Has been for 2+ years now. I also run a 7950 @ 1125/1450 and I do play a lot of AAA titles on the side as well. 

What I am wondering, What benefits, if any, would I see jumping to Haswell, or say even a 8350? Will I see any improvements in my gaming experience? 

Basically looking for a reason to drop 500+ USD other than just to have the new "hotness". 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

Well I'm running a 950 at 4.0GHz here, and I've ordered my Haswell upgrade now. Should be here tomorrow actually. The main benefits I see moving to Haswell are native SATA III (and 6 of them to boot). On X58 you have no native SATA III ports (any you do have are running from a third party (probably marvel) chip) so performance when using things like SATA III SSDs will be subpar. This might be important for you if you like faster boot times/game load times and are currently running a SATA III SSD. You also get native USB 3.0 and USB 3.0 internal headers on Haswell if that's something you're into - plus PCIe 3.0 which is probably going to get more important over time.

I also wanted a few features like dual ethernet, eSATA on the back panel and wireless AC which I was able to tie into my upgrade (which is conveniently cheaper than buying a wireless AC PCIe card)

Aside from those things is the obvious jump in CPU performance, and I find myself doing more and more Handbrake transcoding which will be significantly faster on my 4770k than it is on my 950. In all honesty though, I might not have upgraded to Haswell if someone hadn't offered to buy my current X58 rig XD

You will probably have some noticable improvements. If you want to spend 500$ only for a cpu buy a 3930K.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

You will probably have some noticable improvements. If you want to spend 500$ only for a cpu buy a 3930K.

I think he means $500 for the whole upgrade :P

If he bought a 3930k, he'd have to buy a new motherboard and everything too - without seeing much of a performance boost in what he uses his PC for, and without gaining much in terms of features since 2011 is almost as lacking as 1366 XD

I think he means $500 for the whole upgrade

Save up and get a 780?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

airdeano

airdeano

TYVM! Great answer. 

Unlike the jackass who says save up for a 780...