Are dual core games dying?

Tim Drake

When that times comes people won't be mad. Right now, these artificial limits are complete horse manure.

To be fair, I think people will still be mad when it happens.

People were still furious (and occasionally still are, even on these forums), when Windows XP finally had support removed. XP needed to die in a very deep pit filled with spikes, and the bones of Ubisoft excavators, 5 years ago. Yet somehow it clung tooth and nail and refused to stop breathing. It was a security nightmare filled with vulnerabilities and outdated technology, yet some people still think it's some Holy Grail of Operating Systems.

This is just one example of the irrationality that some forum users have.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So you don't need a high single thread performance?

Most games are having only one main worker thread so you still need a lot single thread performance.

I was under the impression that most modern tripple A games (BF4, CoD:AW, FC3 and 4) can take advantage of 4 CPUs. Atleast for BF4, all 4 of my cores are being used for the game. 

While older games don't really take advantage of multiple cores, wouldn't even a single crappy modern bulldozer core be able to run them?

What i'm personally after is decent gaming performance and multi-tasking performance, and seeing as most demanding games use 4 cores, i'd imagine i'd need at-least 6.

i could go with the new x99 6 core cpu, but unless i start crapping out gold bricks, i'll never be able to afford them lol.

in my mind, 4 bulldozer cores *should* be enough for modern games to run at max settings (when paired with a high end GPU) with little difficulty

CPU: AMD FX8350 @4.4GHz | MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, 990FX chipset | RAM: 16GB (4x4) dual channel Patriot Xtreme series DDR3 @1866MHz @1.65V | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 Fury Strix| PSU: Corsair AX860i 860 watt | CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S + additional Noctua NF-F12 | Case:Corsair C70 Black | Storage: 3x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSDs; 1 for the OS, 2 in RAID 0 for games. 3x WD Red 3TB HDDs in raid 5 for bulk storage | Displays: 1x Dell 3007WFP 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS LCD. 1x I-Inc IH253DPB 25 inch 1920x1080 TN LCD | Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX brown switches + Blue LED backlight | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro | Mouse: Logitech G600 @1100 DPI | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit | 

Mfg/model number: Clevo/W355SSQ | CPU: Intel i7 4710MQ @3.5GHz  | MOBO: W35xSS_370SS, HM87 Chipset | RAM: 16GB (2x8) dual channel Crucial Ballistix DDR3 @1866MHz | GPU: GTX860m 2GB Gddr5 | Battery: 76,960mW/h 8 Cell battery, 3 Hrs full on a full charge | Storage: 1x 128GB Samsung 840 pro SSD for the OS. 1x WD Red 1TB HDD For storage and games | Displays: 1x 15.6" 1080p LCD | Keyboard: Full 103 key back-lit keyboard | Mouse: Logitech M510 | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit |

Did you even read it? It says it requires a quad core intel.

I do believe you misunderstood my post. The minimum requires a quad core AMD or a quad core Intel however a dual core intel performs the same as a quad core AMD... So really the game only needs a dual core intel if it runs on a quad core AMD.

I was under the impression that most modern tripple A games (BF4, CoD:AW, FC3 and 4) can take advantage of 4 CPUs. Atleast for BF4, all 4 of my cores are being used for the game. 

In the worst case it could be one thread which "jumps" from core to core

I hope not but yes they are. That also means that a lot of ppl wont be able to play games because of their financial status and such things. I'm waiting for the i3s will be become quad core and the i5s hexa etc

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

because the industry needs to push forward to make better games utilising powerful hardware

So? The problem is putting bullshite restrictions. Some newer games require a quad core but work fine with a dual core if you can bypass the bs.

Using Tapatalk

Maybe a way to more drastically change the settings on games would help. You can still play on older hardware but it won't be nearly as good. But, I totally agree that the gaming industry should push forward to utilize the power inside our cases.