am2/am3 socket question

dosric

hey guys :)

before i started building my own pc i had a acer pc. in the acer pc there was a amd athlon II x4 630 processor.

when i go to the amd website it says it need the am3 socket.

but the motherboard on the acer pc have an am2 socket. and it fit perfectly.

i wanted to use this processor in a server build, but what motherboard should i buy. am2 or am3

ps. sorry for bad english, its not my first language

I don't know much about servers, but if needed a am3+ mobo should work with that processor. Also I would get the am3 not am2 since that is the socket suggested for it.

I don't know much about servers, but if needed a am3+ mobo should work with that processor. Also I would get the am3 not am2 since that is the socket suggested for it.
Thanks for the comment, yea i might chose am3+ or am3. its just weird that the old mobo used am2 instead of am3 :)

Well I believe the sockets are the same, but it depends on the MB on how much voltage it can handle for the CPU. Its something like that, but I am def not the best person to explain it. Google knows all =P

well thanks anyway :)

If you are using the Athlon II X4 processor, it will work in any AM2+ or AM3 motherboard. Personally, I tend to dislike AMD for servers, but if you're only doing FTP/SSH/Samba, you shouldn't run into any issues. Keep in mind that the Athlon II X4 does not support ECC memory (although honestly, that is not a necessity for servers).

What is the purpose of the server? It might be a good idea to look at some other options. Pentium G2120s support ECC memory if paired with a server-class motherboard such as a Supermicro C7B75. This would provide you with better RAID options for redunant storage and a higher life expectancy for the system. The grand total would be significantly higher at around $280 for motherboard/CPU/RAM, but you would have a fairly future-proof server.

If you are using the Athlon II X4 processor, it will work in any AM2+ or AM3 motherboard. Personally, I tend to dislike AMD for servers, but if you're only doing FTP/SSH/Samba, you shouldn't run into any issues. Keep in mind that the Athlon II X4 does not support ECC memory (although honestly, that is not a necessity for servers).

What is the purpose of the server? It might be a good idea to look at some other options. Pentium G2120s support ECC memory if paired with a server-class motherboard such as a Supermicro C7B75. This would provide you with better RAID options for redunant storage and a higher life expectancy for the system. The grand total would be significantly higher at around $280 for motherboard/CPU/RAM, but you would have a fairly future-proof server.

thanks for the comment :) i chose the athlon x4 processor because i already have it. It was meant to run a minecraft server for friends, and a nas box for personal storage :) i think i will try to get some money for selling the athlon and save some money up to buy a i3 processor :) ( + better motherboard options! )