Storage home server OS

wolfslab

I need a good home server software and I have been looking at windows home server 2011. Is there anything better than that. And I need it to have easy setup to remote access to the files on the server and if possible to computers on the network.

FreeNAS?

FreeNAS is objectively better in terms of features and power, but not in terms of ease-of-use. 

I need a good home server software and I have been looking at windows home server 2011. Is there anything better than that. And I need it to have easy setup to remote access to the files on the server and if possible to computers on the network.

I recommend Amahi Home Server. It's feature packed (thanks to plugins), a storage server oriented OS, and has a focus on "this is easy to use" that FreeNAS somewhat lacks. 

Edit:

Oh, and wolfslab, It's free. WHS 2011 is not free.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I currently have a temporary FreeNAS server until I can upgrade.

Windows Home server is hardly an upgrade. FreeNAS is easily one of the best storage server OS'.

I'm using a laptop for FreeNAS right now and I'm gonna buy a actual server.

When you say "And I need it to have easy setup", what do you mean?

How much do you want to learn and have to manually configure this server? Do you want "plug N play" or something a bit more power user? 

I assume power user considering you are buying an actual server dedicated for this (which I define as something from an Intel Celeron to an AMD Opteron/Intel Xeon with lots of ECC RAM and storage space).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I want something that when you set it up you can easily find everything you need without looking it up or having trouble.

I want something that when you set it up you can easily find everything you need without looking it up or having trouble.

Then you want Amahi. FreeNAS is what I personally prefer, but I like to be a power user and learn a lot about things I know nothing about (I have time for that). Unless you already know a lot about FreeNAS, I wouldn't choose it. Amahi doesn't have high system requirements like FreeNAS does, so you won't need as powerful of a server to utilize Amahi's best features (like FreeNAS requires). 

That's what I would do anyway, in your position.

† Christian Member †

The server I'm getting is not high end and it looks like I would use Amahi. I check there website and Vitalius is right, there recommend specs are lower than FreeNAS and it's pretty close to what I'm getting for my server.