Log about repairing speakers volume control DIY way

Frankie

Hello There!!!

I feel that I may be lucky for finding this post :) and more in such an amazing forum hehe :)

So I am having issues with my creative 5300...  Just no idea if I have the same issue or not :S mine wont turn on at all!!!

I have started playing with my multimeter... and well I don't understand much hehe

The power supply does states 12v (more like 12.5v) and it is alternating current AC... (no idea but I was expecting DC..)

My real current only test is to check if the led (in the control) works... and well if I put an external energy source directly to the led it does turns on... But if I connect the creative system it doesn't... And yup I have used electrical cleaner thingy to clean all the circuit boards... (no success...)

So I am lost....

I've been checking the diagrams (they are excellent!!!, I can share more pics if needed since my system is totally open), but there is no voltage information that I could check...

Does any body has this information??

Thanks!!

Aaaa I forgot...

Something weird that I hope some one with a multimeter may help me check...

But if I am not mistaken, the Red and White cables (in the controller) do not connect to the main sub-woofer board... ?? (I think this is not correct... but I need feedback.)

Plus, since I don't wanna break the sound controller.. does anybody knows how I can remove the board without breaking it??? I am not being able to remove the dial... I think it is really well fixed in there... :-(

Aaaa I forgot...

Something weird that I hope some one with a multimeter may help me check...

But if I am not mistaken, the Red and White cables (in the controller) do not connect to the main sub-woofer board... ?? (I think this is not correct... but I need feedback.)

Plus, since I don't wanna break the sound controller.. does anybody knows how I can remove the board without breaking it??? I am not being able to remove the dial... I think it is really well fixed in there... :-(

Your problem sounds like a dead potentiometer, the controller works as a volume control + on/off switch, that's why I have it separate. :)

And yeah, the dial is fixed there pretty solid.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Thanks Frankie,

Do you know if there is a way that I can jump the potentiometer?

I mean, which connections did you do in order to fix this?

I've been trying to figure out from your pictures but I haven't been able to see decipher what are you connecting where... :S

Plus if I use the multimeter, the potentiometer is connecting the stuff... I mean I get continuous signal (beep sound) when the potentiometer is closed; and no noise when it is open.

Thanks Frankie,

Do you know if there is a way that I can jump the potentiometer?

I mean, which connections did you do in order to fix this?

I've been trying to figure out from your pictures but I haven't been able to see decipher what are you connecting where... :S

Plus if I use the multimeter, the potentiometer is connecting the stuff... I mean I get continuous signal (beep sound) when the potentiometer is closed; and no noise when it is open.

I ripped the original potentiometer out and ordered a normal 3 pin one + on/off switch. I honestly doesn't remember what goes where. But if I was able to figure it out, you can do it. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

ok ok ok,

I'll try tomorrow... From your pics, orange cable to the orange cable, blue cable to the blue cable :D And I hope that the led will blink (even if the potentiometer is out).

If I don't manage I will be shouting here again (and If I manage i will do that too :P just to let you know )

ok ok ok,

I'll try tomorrow... From your pics, orange cable to the orange cable, blue cable to the blue cable :D And I hope that the led will blink (even if the potentiometer is out).

If I don't manage I will be shouting here again (and If I manage i will do that too :P just to let you know )

DON'T take the colors of the white and orange cables into consideration, I used cables from old mouse to connect stuff. :D I found some pics, red and blue cables are for on/off switch. And here is the pic where I soldered the cables for the potentiometer.

YO8Wzoa.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Updates!!!

FYI. in the round cap of the potentiometer (the thing that is quite hard to remove...)

Well you only need to unglue the small circle in the middle of it, and unscrew the HUGE screw that is there.. then it comes out easily :D

And cus sharing is good. Here are some images :D

The holy screw!

NO9j13A.jpg

And the issue with the potentiometer ;-) (I think, to see if I can fix it, else replace the full thing)

p1tBgak.jpg

Just I need a favor!! If some one has their device close...

Could some one confirm that the all the little cables: White, red, yellow, green, black and blue are indeed connected to the final connector (that connects to the sub woofer)??

Cus in my case the Red one and the white one are not connected :S and I believe this is wrong... so maybe my cable is broken :-(

Now shame that I am not in the USA... :-(

http://www.amazon.com/Diameter-50Kohm-Carbon-Potentiometer-Switch/dp/B008MJWBK8

But again, if some one may help me with the cable story :P

Just I need a favor!! If some one has their device close...

Could some one confirm that the all the little cables: White, red, yellow, green, black and blue are indeed connected to the final connector (that connects to the sub woofer)??

Cus in my case the Red one and the white one are not connected :S and I believe this is wrong... so maybe my cable is broken :-(

And SUCCESS!!!

well ish, I sadly broke the ON/off switch... so now indeed I must change the potenciometer... I mean If I want to do a correct job :P

But my issue was that the cable was damaged, so I wasn't getting any voltage out of the Red cable... 

I just had to do some small cuts in the cable, check continuity and find where the cable was broken.

Repair done! :-D

Thanks Frankie for the support I really appreciate it!

And SUCCESS!!!

well ish, I sadly broke the ON/off switch... so now indeed I must change the potenciometer... I mean If I want to do a correct job :P

But my issue was that the cable was damaged, so I wasn't getting any voltage out of the Red cable... 

I just had to do some small cuts in the cable, check continuity and find where the cable was broken.

Repair done! :-D

Thanks Frankie for the support I really appreciate it!

Glad to hear that man. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

• 1 year later...

I would like to say thank you for posting this up! Fixed my broken control! 

3 hours ago, JustinF said:

I would like to say thank you for posting this up! Fixed my broken control! 

That's awesome! Glad to help. :) 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler