Onboard raid trouble

Chunk Of Norris

I tried setting up raid 1 for 2 HDDs with the intel raid cotroller like this: 1. Changed from ACHI to RAID in the bios. 2. Reboot, press "I" (I think), and set up a new raid volume.

After this my computer woulden't boot into windows, so I changed it back to ACHI in BIOS. Now I see only one drive in device manager. Does this mean I'm running raid or am I doing it wrong?

You can't just "set" a RAID, you will have to reinstall windows, also the drives need to be identical (not just the same size), RAID works best on drives with the exact same model number.

After you set the controller to RAID, you should get a new screen when starting your computer with an overview of your arrays, if you see that one, you press CTRL + I (I think) and than you come in a BIOS like system where you can set your RAID.

The drives are identical and the OS is on an SSD. Do I still have to reinstall windows?

OK, let's see.... Just want to understand what you have. What OS? Sounds like you have a SSD drive as your boot and you are trying to get two additional drives in a RAID1 - I assume this is your data. In AHCI mode, when you go into Disk Management, do you see three disks (SSD and the two HDD's)?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Oww, so it's not your OS drive that you're trying to RAID, than you indeed don't have to reinstall windows. What you need to do is after you set up the RAID, go back in your UEFI/BIOS and set your SSD is first boot device.

I run win 8 on an SSD and have two identical HDD for storage/RAID experimentation. I just checked each of the HDDs separately and it turn out they are clones. I was just a bit confused as i thought you had to set the SATA controller permanently to RAID in the BIOS and not just for the setup prosess.

OK, let's see.... Just want to understand what you have. What OS? Sounds like you have a SSD drive as your boot and you are trying to get two additional drives in a RAID1 - I assume this is your data. In AHCI mode, when you go into Disk Management, do you see three disks (SSD and the two HDD's)?
I see one SSD and one HDD in disk management in AHCI

CoN - you do need to leave it permanently as RAID in the BIOS. So, something else happened. Right now though, with AHCI you should be seeing all three disks - your SSD and the two hard drives that you want to create a RAID array with, in disk manager. Sounds like one drive isn't work. You need to sort that out.

What mobo do you have? depending on your setup, some mobo have additional SATA ports, running on a different controller, etc and can get confusing. So, which board do you have and which ports are the drives plugged into? That will help trouble shoot.

But, in generic terms...

Then, enable RAID in BIOS. CRTL+I to create your raid set. Ensure in BIOS now that your SSD is the primary boot drive. You may also need to install Intel Rapid Storage drivers in Win8 to see the array. If you do a google search, you can download them from Intel. Or they would be on the driver disk for your mobo if you still have it.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I have the Asrock extreme 6 mobo and the HDDs are connected to some SATA 2 ports (two of the SATA 3 ports use a different controller). Setting up the RAID volume was not a problem and both drives were detected, but then windows got the sad face screen and stared running recovery every time. After switching back to AHCI it worked and only one HDD and one SSD showed up in device manager.

I have been chancing the storage configuration though. I took out the HDDs and checked each individually and they were clones. I'm now setting up two SSDs in RAID 0 and getting rid of the noisy HDDs (got a NAS today).

I have Intel Rapid Storage installed. Is it possible that this configured the RAID? If I leave it in RAID controller permanently will I have to watch the Intel RAID screen every time I boot?

Now I have RAID 0 setup for two OCZ Vector 256 GB. I've reinstalled windows and it was fine for a while, but after a reboot it started bluescreening again 0xc000021a.

I checked if the SSDs where properly pluged in and found a broken sata cable or maybe i broke it when I was checking. I tried the drives with different ports and ables and it turn out one of the drives is dead. So many problems I'm raging all over the place now.

• 1 month later...

Finally the SSD is back from RMA. Everything works fine, but is there a way to skip the Intel RAID controller boot screen?