LG Ultra Wide - A cinema monitor for gaming?

Giganizer300PRO
Go to solution Solved by MichaelBP,

I have had my LG 29" 21:9 for a couple of months now, and based on that I'll say that there is acutely much better game then movie support for this aspect ratio.

Why do I say this? It's an 21:9 display, movies are in 21:9 - its a perfect match, right? WRONG.. or kind of. If you are using services like netflix, HBO etc. etc. your not gonna get that 21:9 experience. They stream almost all movies in 16:9 with hardcoded black bars  :angry: . Your gonna need a optical media (or pirate) to get the most out of your display, sadly. 

In games however, Skyrim is the only game that I have had big issues with, most games just let you play, and the 21:9 aspect ratio gives you a bit more immersive feel. I would recommend that you get a 29" model, I think that you would find the 25" model a bit small, especially in hight.  ;)

After deciding, that the LG 25" 21:9 aspect ratio monitor is the thing for me, I have been doing some research and (as always) I have found something that might be an issue.

The monitor is also referred to as "a cinema monitor" and so it should deal with movies just fine. The only thing I see might be a problem is gaming. I am an average guy who plays games - nothing special. Some games offer that aspect ration/handle native resolution just fine, but not all. Are there a lot of games that might be an issue? What about more simple games like Minecraft? I have seen the LTT video featuring 3 34" monitors, but yet I question myself - Is this monitor really for gaming? Playing with such wide picture seems cool, if the game supports it. All do gaming is not all I do, it is the reason I'm getting a gaming PC (obviously).

I just want know if games are going to have a problem with such resolution. 
Other seems to be just fine.

Thank you for your help.

There shouldn't be any problems and you would always have the option to play at a more normal 16:9 resolution with black bars at the sides.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There shouldn't be any problems and you would always have the option to play at a more normal 16:9 resolution with black bars at the sides.

tnx

I know I can always play in 16:9, but if a lot of games don't support 21:9, then what's the point.

I have had my LG 29" 21:9 for a couple of months now, and based on that I'll say that there is acutely much better game then movie support for this aspect ratio.

Why do I say this? It's an 21:9 display, movies are in 21:9 - its a perfect match, right? WRONG.. or kind of. If you are using services like netflix, HBO etc. etc. your not gonna get that 21:9 experience. They stream almost all movies in 16:9 with hardcoded black bars  :angry: . Your gonna need a optical media (or pirate) to get the most out of your display, sadly. 

In games however, Skyrim is the only game that I have had big issues with, most games just let you play, and the 21:9 aspect ratio gives you a bit more immersive feel. I would recommend that you get a 29" model, I think that you would find the 25" model a bit small, especially in hight.  ;)

FRACTAL DESIGN R4 / AMD FX 8350 / NVIDIA GTX 770 / ASUS SABERTOOTH FX990 R2

MacBook Pro (2011) w. Samsung 840 PRO & 16 GB Corsair Ram

Thanks for your feedback and response. I am getting the 25" version because I am kinda price limited, but I will see, thanks for your answer, I wouldn't think of that.

It's nice to get feedback from someone that actually experienced the product.

Thanks for your feedback and response. I am getting the 25" version because I am kinda price limited, but I will see, thanks for your answer, I wouldn't think of that.

It's nice to get feedback from someone that actually experienced the product.

You're welcome, let me know if you want to know anything else :)  

You're welcome, let me know if you want to know anything else :)

Well, actually...

Are there any things that "fall out" or bother you? Is there anything that might get you to advise not to buy this product. How big does it feel (the 29" version)

? And is there a difference in gaming or other work (browsing, Word, etc...)

I own a Dell U2913WM and i freaking LOVE it. Games look amazing. I have several sample videos on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/deleoh0stem/videos

As you can see they all work great however some games only have cutscenes in 16:9. in that case you will just get some black bars. (check out the shadow of mordor video to see what i mean)

So far i have not ran into any games that are unplayable except for telltale games which can only be played in 16:9. As MichaelBP mentioned services like Netflix and HBOGO only show 16:9 so that is one downside.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. maybe i could try and run some games for you to see how they work in 21:9

Well, actually...

Are there any things that "fall out" or bother you? Is there anything that might get you to advise not to buy this product. How big does it feel (the 29" version)

? And is there a difference in gaming or other work (browsing, Word, etc...)

Not really, biggest disepointment is the streaming services. Other then that, the wide surface aria is great for workflow. As a student it's very nice to have multiple documents open at the same time. It seems like a love-hate thing where you rather instantly know if you like it or not. 

I came from a 24" 1080p monitor, and this feels more like dual 23" or something, I sometimes feel like I miss 2-3 cm in height, but that was mostly in the beginning. 

I would only advice against it if you are compromising to much. Mening it's a tricky format, I would really love to get the 34" model, but that would have meant that I should also upgrade my Gfx card, but that was not an option, so I opted for the 29", a nice fit, and it still feels like a considerable better option then what I had before. I don't know how you feel about monitors, but you should consider if the 25" model is getting too narrow in height. :) 

Not really, biggest disepointment is the streaming services. Other then that, the wide surface aria is great for workflow. As a student it's very nice to have multiple documents open at the same time. It seems like a love-hate thing where you rather instantly know if you like it or not. 

I came from a 24" 1080p monitor, and this feels more like dual 23" or something, I sometimes feel like I miss 2-3 cm in height, but that was mostly in the beginning. 

I would only advice against it if you are compromising to much. Mening it's a tricky format, I would really love to get the 34" model, but that would have meant that I should also upgrade my Gfx card, but that was not an option, so I opted for the 29", a nice fit, and it still feels like a considerable better option then what I had before. I don't know how you feel about monitors, but you should consider if the 25" model is getting too narrow in height. :)

I own a Dell U2913WM and i freaking LOVE it. Games look amazing. I have several sample videos on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/deleoh0stem/videos

As you can see they all work great however some games only have cutscenes in 16:9. in that case you will just get some black bars. (check out the shadow of mordor video to see what i mean)

So far i have not ran into any games that are unplayable except for telltale games which can only be played in 16:9. As MichaelBP mentioned services like Netflix and HBOGO only show 16:9 so that is one downside.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. maybe i could try and run some games for you to see how they work in 21:9

Thank you both for your help. I do not use streaming services. I am a student and I already have 2 monitors so I can imagine how documents work. As for gaming, I am now sure it's gonna be fine, coz let's face it: I don't play telltale games and I don't really watch the cutscenes (unless I can't skip or if it's actually interesting) so I should be fine. Since I'm saving up and it's not like there's a deal or what not, I might as well buy the $200 more 29" version. Thank you all for your help. You people are awesome and it's really nice having people like you. If there's ANYTHING I can do in return, just ask and I will see. I am really thankful so much. It really means a lot to me, especially because I have very little experience in this section (I only educated myself in computers 3 months ago when I decided to build one).