Pump tops?

I'm interested in getting into water cooling and I am pretty confident I know a solid amount about it but one thing I don't get is are pump tops. What are they for, do and are they even needed?

The are not necessary they just make the pumps look all nice and allow you to use custom fittings with pumps such as D5 or DDC which normally just have plastic barb fittings.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

The default barbs are far to impractical in a small case. Without the ability it use angled fittings. Especially having the intake on the horizontal axis.

I tried to use the stock d5 top in my H440 (mid tower case), it was almost impossible to route tubing to it. Especially from the Res to the pump intake (on the front of the D5). Switching to an aftermarket D5 top made the job infinitely easy.

iKKf0jnh.jpg

2x GTX780 (@1.29ghz) | 2x 840evo 250GB raid0 | i5 4690k (@4.7ghz) | Watercooled Modded H440 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/255872-project-whiteout-v20-h440-watercooled-3xradiators-10-fans