Finding my DNS server...(Static IP)

pipnina

I'm trying to make sure my computer doesn't leave 192.168.0.2 (I host servers, it's annoying for my IP to change constantly.)

However, I am missing a rather important peice of info... my DNS address. /ipconfig tells me nothing apart from my current IPV4, gateway and subnet. I need at least one more number for the DNS!

Where do I find this? Is it normally in my router page because i'm locked out of that for a few mins (It thinks i'm someone else now, my IP changed, lol.)

Help appreciated!

~pipnina

Click the "Start" button, type "cmd" in the search box and press the "Enter" key to open the command prompt. ...

Type "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt and press the "Enter" key. ...

Find the "DNS Servers" lines. The first IP address is the primary DNS server. ...

Close the command prompt.

totally not a copy and paste from google ;)

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

Do Ipconfig/all and look for it. Or you can use a different DNS server

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

:D This clears things up!

I always wondered why DNS never showed up in /ipconfig.

Ty

:D This clears things up!

I always wondered why DNS never showed up in /ipconfig.

Ty

Don't forget to mark as solved

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Also, as an advice, make sure that your address is either reserved in the dhcp pool or out of it's range. Or else you might encounter some fun issues eventually. Windows is usually smart at detecting a duplicate IP on the network but it's always better to prevent rather than fix.  ;)

"Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?"

-- Maurice Moss

I would much rather do a DHCP reservation to prevent the issues you mentioned above.

Tux is a lie.

Additionally, most "consumer" routers have the DNS as the same IP as the Gateway (eg your DNS and "Gateway" address are both the Router's IP Address).

I would much rather do a DHCP reservation to prevent the issues you mentioned above.

Most consumer routers start the DHCP pool at 50 or 100. As long as he verifies the settings in his router, he'll be fine. No need for DHCP reservations.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)