Way to make ethernet port off when pc is off?

Alex780
Go to solution Solved by JamesDwho,

That's likely to do with the motherboard's Wake on Lan functionality, wake on lan allows you to turn on a computer remotely via sending a "magic packet" over your local network to the network card. If you want to turn this off you should be able to disable it in the Advanced driver settings for the network adaptor or in the motherboard's Power Management options, it will probably be called either "Wake on Lan" or "EuP Support" in the Bios.

Hi! It seems that my killer ethernet nic doesn't want to switch off when my pc is off, when an ethernet cable is plugged in. The two leds at the back of the port remain on and flashing, same for my cpl adapter. As my computer is in my bedroom, it is quite annoying during the night when I'm trying to sleep. I've done some research on the web but can't find any helpful information. There should be a way to fix that in the bios or in windows... Please help!

duct-tape-600x450-TS-144366816.jpg

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well I already taped it but light comes out of the cpl cooling holes plus as my pc has a window, lights come out at the back of the ethernet port and throught the window.

I run my PC as an server so I have those lights too but mine shine through the back of the jack thru the side panel window.

I just deal with it LEL

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

I run my PC as an server so I have those lights too but mine shine through the back of the jack thru the side panel window.

I just deal with it LEL

Great thanks for your expertise. Dude knows how to help others, fantastic. As I said I have my pc in my bedroom (and I can't put it anywhere else) and that's why thoose flashing lights annoy me. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

That's likely to do with the motherboard's Wake on Lan functionality, wake on lan allows you to turn on a computer remotely via sending a "magic packet" over your local network to the network card. If you want to turn this off you should be able to disable it in the Advanced driver settings for the network adaptor or in the motherboard's Power Management options, it will probably be called either "Wake on Lan" or "EuP Support" in the Bios.

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

Great thanks for your expertise. Dude knows how to help others, fantastic. As I said I have my pc in my bedroom (and I can't put it anywhere else) and that's why thoose flashing lights annoy me. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

i was just kidding lol!

no but seriously you could tape off the back connector very well and maybe put a towel over your window when you go to bed

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Hi! It seems that my killer ethernet nic doesn't want to switch off when my pc is off, when an ethernet cable is plugged in. The two leds at the back of the port remain on and flashing, same for my cpl adapter. As my computer is in my bedroom, it is quite annoying during the night when I'm trying to sleep. I've done some research on the web but can't find any helpful information. There should be a way to fix that in the bios or in windows... Please help!

Go into your BIOS and look for 'Wake on LAN' and turn it off, that is the most likely culprit of your NIC's indicator lights stay on.

Yep, enabling the "EuP 2013" feature in the bios fixed it! Thanks for your help!