Gtx 970 vs Gtx 980

Naeem
Go to solution Solved by uhMayzedHD,

Im not gonna watercool my vid card just what OC's best on air cooling / not to much noise and yes the looks of the G1 gaming is amazing but im more like 51% Performance 49% looks 

980 Gigabyte G1 will look perfect and work perfectly and stay cool

So the title basically says it all i will give some more info tough:

so im planning on building a Gaming PC for Xmas but i was wondering allot of people say the 980 is waaaaay to overpriced compared to the 970.

so i was wondering just get a 970 and maybe later get a 2nd 970 if i feel like its not enough.

im gonna get a i7 4790k  so i wont think it will bottleneck anything.

im also planning on gaming on 1080p and maybe upgrade to 1440p later.

so now the real qeustion:

Is it even worth considering a gtx980? people say its about 10-15% better but its also like 90% more expensive.... so ye.... but then i also started to think not all games support SLI and getting a 2nd card doesnt scale 100% the same.

Main games i play:

World of Warcraft ( ik a potato can run this).

Any new Single player game like Tomb raider etc.

Bf 4 and other FPS like CoD / CS:S/GO.

in short:

All new games and some old games.

Also wich 970 or 980 do you recommend for single and/or SLI.

All help is much appreciated sorry if my english isn't then best its not my first language.

Thanks for helping! :)

the 970 is more than enough for the games you listed, if you want something for 1440p future upgrade get a 970 then add one later.

if cost is not an issue at all go with the superclocked 980 from EVGA

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

What resolution are you pushing and what refresh rate? If you're on the 1080p 60fps mainstream boat, then you really don't need more than a single 980 imo. 

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

980 in my personal opinion is a waste of money, 970 has much more value.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

the 970 is more than enough for the games you listed, if you want something for 1440p future upgrade get a 970 then add one later.

Cost is not the biggest issue but is it rlly worth getting a 980?

Why the EVGA Superclocked heard it was rlly loud or they already fixed it?

What resolution are you pushing and what refresh rate? If you're on the 1080p 60fps mainstream boat, then you really don't need more than a single 980 imo. 

What about 1440 60fps?

Cost is not the biggest issue but is it rlly worth getting a 980?

I ordered one because I wanted the maximum FPS I can get from a single card, and also its affordable to me.

to me .. this is important:

HeavenBench970980.jpg

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

I ordered one because I wanted the maximum FPS I can get from a single card, and also its affordable to me.

to me .. this is important:

HeavenBench970980.jpg

This is the Gigabyte tough does the SC from EVGA preform better/cooler/better OC?

So the title basically says it all i will give some more info tough:

so im planning on building a Gaming PC for Xmas but i was wondering allot of people say the 980 is waaaaay to overpriced compared to the 970.

so i was wondering just get a 970 and maybe later get a 2nd 970 if i feel like its not enough.

im gonna get a i7 4790k  so i wont think it will bottleneck anything.

im also planning on gaming on 1080p and maybe upgrade to 1440p later.

so now the real qeustion:

Is it even worth considering a gtx980? people say its about 10-15% better but its also like 90% more expensive.... so ye.... but then i also started to think not all games support SLI and getting a 2nd card doesnt scale 100% the same.

Main games i play:

World of Warcraft ( ik a potato can run this).

Any new Single player game like Tomb raider etc.

Bf 4 and other FPS like CoD / CS:S/GO.

in short:

All new games and some old games.

Also wich 970 or 980 do you recommend for single and/or SLI.

All help is much appreciated sorry if my english isn't then best its not my first language.

Thanks for helping! :)

Honestly I would go with a GTX 980 and GTX 980 is amazing for the price I think it was 780ti was like 700-600 for it price! And the 980 is more powerful than 780ti but since 900 series came out the 700 series and others gpu drop!

If you planning go SLI later I would get the most powerful GPU you can get now and SLI it later

Issues with SLI 

1) Not all games are supported - with only one card you do not have this problem

2) Micro-stuttering in SLI - with only one card you do not have this problem

3) Some games do not work correctly in SLI (The Witcher, Rage etc.)

4) While one card owners are playing new big game releases from day 1, you just sit there and wait for your SLI profile

This is the Gigabyte tough does the SC from EVGA preform better/cooler/better OC?

EVGA performas better, it has higher clocks

Honestly I would go with a GTX 980 and GTX 980 is amazing for the price I think it was 780ti was like 700-600 for it price! And the 980 is more powerful than 780ti but since 900 series came out the 700 series and others gpu drop!

If you planning go SLI later I would get the most powerful GPU you can get now and SLI it later

Issues with SLI 

SLI is lack in many games and wait for SLI support that why I would go with 980 over 970 but 970 still a good card don't get me wrong.

Thanks for the info So now im qeustioning between a 980 Gigabyte G1 gaming or EVGA SC acx 2.0 any preference?

Thanks for the info So now im qeustioning between a 980 Gigabyte G1 gaming or EVGA SC acx 2.0 any preference?

Id take EVGA everytime, had a 780ti superclocked with no issues.

If you want the highest performing 980 look for the Galax 980 HOF, dont know if they launched it yet. Then comes the EVGA 980 Classified.

The superclocked versions are really good, check evga website

If your not going watercool it then I go with 980 Gigabyte G1 it cooler and it looks better :) 

note: You need a reference cooler if you going water cool it like the 980 acx 2.0

If your not going watercool it then I go with 980 Gigabyte G1 it cooler and it look better :) 

note: You need a reference cooler if you going water cool it like the 980 acx 2.0

Im not gonna watercool my vid card just what OC's best on air cooling / not to much noise and yes the looks of the G1 gaming is amazing but im more like 51% Performance 49% looks 

Thanks ill think a little bit more but as of now the G1 gaming looks like a winner!

again thanks for helping out :)

Thanks ill think a little bit more but as of now the G1 gaming looks like a winner!

again thanks for helping out :)

Anytime bro! 

What about 1440 60fps?

If it was me i would get 2 x 970.

1. Almost the same price as a single 980 (At least in my country)

2. SLI looks freaking baller!

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I got an MSI 980. Best card imo. Stays cooler and overclocks better. Idk why people like EVGA so much, reviews will show that EVGA has the hottest cards, and they aren't even overclocked out of the box as well as some other cards. The MSI and Gigabyte have the highest factory clocks.

If the price is not a big issue, go with the 980!  SLI is annoying, can get loud, produces a LOT of heat etc...  single card is the way to go. in my humble amateur opinion.  

Go for the Gigabyte G1 Gaming.  it's got the best cooler.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build