How much does a Moto 360 / Android Wear rely on your Android phone?

bvh13

I'm very close to purchasing myself a Moto 360, but I just wanted to confirm a few things before I actually make the purchase.

I hear that you can not use the stock Android messaging app with the watch, is that correct? That's all I've used for years now, I've never tried anything else. Do I have to use Hangouts, or are there other apps I can use? What would you guys recommend? What works best / worst?

I've also heard that with recent firmware updates, the battery life has been rather significantly improved. Is this also correct? How long on average are you guys getting with your 360s?

As discussed in this thread, I tend to have some problems with my phone and Google Now. Now, it's hard to fully explain what I mean, but does Android Wear / Google Now (I think?) actually run on the watch itself or does it rely on the Google Now app on the phone? Like, if the app on my phone won't bring up more than two or three cards and then tells me there is no internet connection, is the same going to happen on my watch? Or does it run on the watch itself, only using the phone for it's 3G / WiFi connectivity? (ie, irrespective of how well the phone app is working)

Is the wire that goes from the wall socket to the charging dock changable? Say if I go on holiday, or anywhere abroad, can it be easily swapped out with another 12V plug or figure 8 plug or whatever it uses, or is it a proprietary cable where I'd need a wall socket converter to be able to charge the watch?

the watch is basically useless without a phone and the charger is proprietary 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I hear that you can not use the stock Android messaging app with the watch, is that correct? That's all I've used for years now, I've never tried anything else. Do I have to use Hangouts, or are there other apps I can use? What would you guys recommend? What works best / worst?

Google has their own Messenger SMS app now.

"Rawr XD"

Note: I do have one. It's paired with my Nexus 5. 

I'm not sure about the stock messaging app, I've always used Hangouts. The firmware updates have definitely made the battery life better, however give it a week or so to get a grasp on the battery. I'm getting roughly 36-42 hours under fairly heavy (150+ notifications a day) use. Google Now runs on the phone and pushes the "cards" to the 360. Dismissing cards on the watch will dismiss them on the Google Now app on the phone. As for the wall charger, it's a standard wall>microUSB. It charges using the Qi standard, meaning any qi charger should work.

Yeah I've been seeing a lot of people mention this new Messenger app from Google, as well as Hangouts, or Textra. I don't know anything about any of them though, what the benefits or differences or anything though. So if anyone could clear that up for me, that would be great!

Note: I do have one. It's paired with my Nexus 5. 

I'm not sure about the stock messaging app, I've always used Hangouts. The firmware updates have definitely made the battery life better, however give it a week or so to get a grasp on the battery. I'm getting roughly 36-42 hours under fairly heavy (150+ notifications a day) use. Google Now runs on the phone and pushes the "cards" to the 360. Dismissing cards on the watch will dismiss them on the Google Now app on the phone. As for the wall charger, it's a standard wall>microUSB. It charges using the Qi standard, meaning any qi charger should work.

Holy crap, you're getting 36 - 42 HOURS?! I don't think I've yet to hear of anyone getting anywhere near as good as a battery life as that! I bloody hope mine comes with a battery that good!

Good to know that the charger uses a standard microUSB cable, that's what I wanted to know. As long as I can change that, that's all I worried about! I know you can use any wireless charger, but I don't know anyone with a wireless charger currently, nor do I own any, so unfortunately that's not an option for me I'm afriad.