New build help please

krep

I mainly game but do stream from time to time and figure ill spend the extra $$ on the i7. Not sure ill overclock much

So i have a couple of questions.

Im not really in a rush to but not sure i should pull the trigger for black friday or wait and see what happens boxing day. (Canada here)

Here is my parts list not sure how to embed it

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($52.99 @ NCIX) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ NCIX) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($148.98 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($398.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1304.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 12:34 EST-0500

Had a question about the following parts

Ram - is it worth spending the $20-$30 more to bump it up to 1866? any other suggestions for ram im open

PSU - pretty sure i should be fine power wise any recommendations

Mobo - not sure how much overclocking ill do is this a board that would be pretty straight forward? Also would i need to upgrade the cooler from the H60 if was to slightly OC.

Thanks for the help

I would recommend if your on a tight budget and cant spring for a mechanical mass storage drive initially to go with a Hybrid drive since it gives you the best of both drives fast boot times and application loading along with high amounts of storage space. And will save you $30 you could put somewhere else. Also instead of that CPU cooler go with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus since it will cool your cpu a lot better than that H60 will and has no real risk of failure vs the water cooled unit and it costs way less for the hyper 212.

Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrb10212pg1

Bumping it up to 1866 surely won't be worth it. I recommend a 600+W PSU just for some wiggle room in case you want to drop in a second GPU later on or whatnot. Looking pretty swaggity. 

I dig.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I would recommend if your on a tight budget and cant spring for a mechanical mass storage drive initially to go with a Hybrid drive since it gives you the best of both drives fast boot times and application loading along with high amounts of storage space. And will save you $30 you could put somewhere else like the video card.

Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon)

So many people I know who've owned those have had issues. They're fairly new as well. If there were a second generation product with most of the issues resolved, I would be able to solidly recommend something like that. 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

So many people I know who've owned those have had issues. They're fairly new as well. If there were a second generation product with most of the issues resolved, I would be able to solidly recommend something like that. 

I think much like most pc components out there they are hit and miss but how I see it if your on a tight budget and cant spring for both its the best option especially if you plan to upgrade to more storage later on. Because that 240gb SSD he currently has in his build will fill up really fast if he doesnt have the cash to throw out there for a 1tb mass storage drive to go along with it.

I have a couple of older hard drives i was going to use. my current rig will become a media / server with around 4TB on it so im not concerned with storage.

I'm not on that tight of a budget the only reason the wife is letting me do this is I sold a bunch of old WoW pet and mount cards i got from going to blizzcon a few years back and that has financed the whole thing. (I had no idea how much people pay for that crap it was amazing)

Any recommendations on a PSU? Would like to stick with Gold not sure if its worth finding one with two rails.

Also the one i have listed is actually only $59 right now

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($52.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($148.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($394.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1260.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 13:00 EST-0500

so would people recommend air for the CPU cooler?

so would people recommend air for the CPU cooler?

air is the best route if your not going to do a heavy overclock and even then a lot of air coolers are still better.

since you said your not planning to do a heavy overclock go with this its only $20 and will do what you want really well

https://pcpartpicker...ler-rrb10212pg1

any suggestions on a new motherboard? the one i picked seems to be on back order now