VelociRaptor Vs. SSD

BroKenFingers
Go to solution Solved by soulreaper,

Yes, a 120 Gb SSD will be faster than any HDD..but in another year I will be looking for a bigger SSD .The WD will give me almost the same performance as I have now. The 250 Gb size is an asset when you only want it as a boot drive. 

Save some money and get a bigger SSD now. Also windspeeds post is a great idea.

I have to update my boot OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb SSD. The drive has 13500 hrs on it and it is at the maximum of its capacity.  I have done all I can to  optimize the storage.  I have a limited budget of $100.00. I can buy a 120 Gb SSD or a 250 Gb VelociRaptor. 

Which would you choose and why..?

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

SSD for speed. VelociRaptor for storage.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes, a 120 Gb SSD will be faster than any HDD..but in another year I will be looking for a bigger SSD .The WD will give me almost the same performance as I have now. The 250 Gb size is an asset when you only want it as a boot drive. 

The 250 Gb size is an asset when you only want it as a boot drive. 

250GB is rather large for just a boot drive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes..the selection on smaller affordable drives seems to have dried up..Now with the 250 size I will be able to put more system critical drivers on the boot and not on my storage ..may even add a game or to ...

I had thought that the 60 Gb was just the right size..but after about 2 years the expansion has left me with about 2.5 Gb free space..

What about Hybrid Drive?

The ones I have seen only use SATA II...they seem more of a laptop solution.. 5400 rpm and 2.5 size... 

Why not just get a 2TB Seagate Barracuda and setup Intel SRT?

SSD.  It's faster and less prone to failure.  120GB should easily fit all your programs.  Unless you have a metric crapton of programs.  Games on the SSD are really unnecessary, it's just something to do for giggles if you have empty SSD space (it's not like PC games have very long load times).

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I would suggest a hybrid drive, you get the best of both for a cheaper price than an ssd. I have one, and they are surprisingly fast. If boot time counts, it boots almost as fast as my vertex 4.

For just a  bit more than 100$ you can get 7200rpm 750gb hybrid drive. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=65149&promoid=1283

I don't think you would regret getting this. I have one for my laptop, but it can be used for a desktop too.

Hope this helps :)

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

Thank you for the Hybrid drive suggestions. 

I would suggest a hybrid drive, you get the best of both for a cheaper price than an ssd. I have one, and they are surprisingly fast. If boot time counts, it boots almost as fast as my vertex 4.

For just a  bit more than 100$ you can get 7200rpm 750gb hybrid drive. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=65149&promoid=1283

I don't think you would regret getting this. I have one for my laptop, but it can be used for a desktop too.

Hope this helps :)

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

Wish that my 990FX chipset would support this type of technology. This issue stems from my lack of funds and my need for a solution. A larger SSD is out of the question now..and now is when I need a compromised solution.

Well I have spent most of this day installing a wonderful Fathers Day gift from myself and my daughters. It would seem that our local computer store..Canada Computers needed to offer a sale on the Samsung 840 250 GB SSD for a mere $150.00 CDN. It was a snap to install and is now quite happily giving me 500mb/s + sequential reads.I have not yet finished all the program/driver reshuffle, but I can already see a great improvement in load times. I thank you all for your input and have taken some ideas for the next disk swap. 

You should get one of those new Seagate 1tb/platter drives, I have one and this thing's a beast. Transfers consistently over 150MB/s. Pretty cheap too.

ssd

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

..Got what  I need..this would make a nice storage drive..or maybe a Seagate / WD Red based RAID 5..only money will decide..

dude, a hhd is LOUD. especially the 10000rpm ones. save up 200 bucks and buy a 256GB 840 pro, then you will have enough disk space and the speed will be stellar even compared to the Vertex 2 drive. if you really want mass storage and performance, buy a 1tb WD Blue and a 256 GB 840pro.

Then have windows and your big programs on the ssd and games n videos n music n documents on the hdd. and also don't forget to turn off automatic-hdd-spindown as this will dramatically reduce drive life. rather let them spin 24/7.

2600k, HD6870, 16GB