Mod planning help

nicholaswillems

Hey there,

I expect to finally make a personal build this summer (made some computers for others in the past), and I'm not sure wether I will take a windowed version of a certain case and pay more to get nice insides or if I'd take a non-window version and get less good looking but more 'bang for buck' guts.

The case that I will most likely use is the Define R4, which is looking clean and functional to me.

Now I want to mod it as well. No heavy mods, but slight changes which for example don't need too much cutting etc. would be nice. I don't think it will be that hard to get any kind of paint or painting help since I know a very good painter (house painter, but I can probably get the paint and some help to get it to look nice).

Since I'm completely in love with my Vespa (50 special, something like this: http://mainroller.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/vespa50special-orange-5.jpg), I'd like to mod it with elements/inspiration taken from there. The color looks red but is actually red/orange, though it's very hard to see, but it looks really nice and shiny. I hope I can get a paint that looks like that.

So my questions are:

1: What do I have to watch out for/take into consideration when painting a case?

2: Any suggestions on what mods/things I can do to the case?

Thanks!

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

well you cant paint the front of the case so i guess you just wanna paint the inside?

when i painted my case white the first time it flaked alot idk why...then i wirebrushed it out and painted it..now its nice :) but wirebrushing it can bend thin pieces of metal and such

So the front of the case is not paintable? Because it's plastic? (Do you maybe suggest a case that's paintable in the same price range?) :)

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

The biggest trick to getting a good finish when painting is the prep, I'm currently bringing some life back to an old Antec case and its giving me nothing but grief however even with aerosols a good finish can be achieved with a little time and care. Here is an example of a car we did the other week with just cheap aerosols ($10 for 4 cans) in 2 weekends as a mate wanted their car sorted, if you get close the finish isn't perfect but the conditions for painting it wern't either (Babinda where we sprayed it rains 6 days a week and showers on the 7th and we didn't sand it right back and drop a final coat on like we would have wanted to as we ran out of time.

uQxxBIQl.jpg

If you get someone else to do the work or not is really dependant on how much time you wish to invest or not, if you have never sprayed something before it could be a bit of a long process and learning curve the first time you do it (however it comes with the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)