Nvidia Surround worth it?

TheMrBeb

I play a lot of games like bf3 and am looking froward too bf4. But I also play some moba games like smite. Seeing as nvidia surround is at a large price point I was wondering if any experienced users could tell me if it is completely worth the monitors and the GPUs needed to power it? The other option would be one 1440p monitor. Any kind of input is appreciated

Thanks

I went for it because I wanted the 3 monitors.  I have a single gtx680 and it plays most of the games I've thrown at it just fine on max gpu settings.  Not BF3 or anything too intense, mind you.  The biggest 3 cons to any multi-monitor system right now are:

1. Dat friggen bezel! One day they'll make surround monitors. One day...

2. Getting the monitors at the right angle on your desk so the side monitors don't look out of whack in your peripheral vision.  If you bump one, then it's back out with the protractor and measuring tape to get the angle back to 30 degrees again...

3. Watching movies is a pain since you've got to use win+p to switch the monitor mode to extend so fullscreen programs that don't understand that 6096x1200 is not actually a monitor resolution.

Even with all that it's pretty neat though, and it will usually impress your friends.  Is it actually helpful in games?  I'm not so sure.  Racing games, maybe, but who plays racing games?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

If you looking to buy new gpu also, i would recommend u to get AMD gpu as eyefinity is more mature.Moreover, bf4 would be optimized for amd gpu.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/25489-amd-stepping-up-their-game/

Unfortunately i am a Nvidia fan but i guess a can change :P. Ive heard fans from both sides talking about how the multi monitor software is better. Also i plan of watercooling the whole system, and i noticed there arent too many choiced for amd water blocks, correct me if im wrong. And yes I am definatley in need of some new gpus since i am running two gts 8800s D:

I went for it because I wanted the 3 monitors.  I have a single gtx680 and it plays most of the games I've thrown at it just fine on max gpu settings.  Not BF3 or anything too intense, mind you.  The biggest 3 cons to any multi-monitor system right now are:

1. Dat friggen bezel! One day they'll make surround monitors. One day...

2. Getting the monitors at the right angle on your desk so the side monitors don't look out of whack in your peripheral vision.  If you bump one, then it's back out with the protractor and measuring tape to get the angle back to 30 degrees again...

3. Watching movies is a pain since you've got to use win+p to switch the monitor mode to extend so fullscreen programs that don't understand that 6096x1200 is not actually a monitor resolution.

Even with all that it's pretty neat though, and it will usually impress your friends.  Is it actually helpful in games?  I'm not so sure.  Racing games, maybe, but who plays racing games?

Thanks fot the quick reply. You mentioned 6096x1200? Wow, i was thinking more 3x1920x1080. What monitors do you use? And do you play portrait or landscape?

Are u looking for dual gpu or single gpu setup?And what is your budget?

Unfortunately i am a Nvidia fan but i guess a can change :P. Ive heard fans from both sides talking about how the multi monitor software is better. Also i plan of watercooling the whole system, and i noticed there arent too many choiced for amd water blocks, correct me if im wrong. And yes I am definatley in need of some new gpus since i am running two gts 8800s D:

If you looking at 7970 or 7950,there's lots of water block for it.Not sure for lower end card though.

Oh, ok :P. If I was to buy sand gpu then would you say hold off until 8000 series?

According to rumor, amd will skip for 8000series and will launch with 9000series and 9970 has been said to double performance of 7970 and using 20nm manufacturing process.But if you looking up to buy gpu now,780 is not a bad choice either .

Thanks fot the quick reply. You mentioned 6096x1200? Wow, i was thinking more 3x1920x1080. What monitors do you use? And do you play portrait or landscape?

Three Dell monitors in landscape plus bezel correction gets you a resolution like that.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

If you have to go Nvidia then go with a 780 but AMD's eyefinity is better and i would go with one or two 7970's.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

That resolution is with bezel compensation I think, I have 3x 1920x1200 (= 5760x1200) monitors in my EF setup, and with bezel compensation, I have a resolution of 6048x1200.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

According to rumor, amd will skip for 8000series and will launch with 9000series and 9970 has been said to double performance of 7970 and using 20nm manufacturing process.But if you looking up to buy gpu now,780 is not a bad choice either .

Well since it might take a while to gather the funds with school and only being able to work on the holidays $15 per hour

Personally, no. The horsepower needed to drive that resolution is really expensive and to be honest, gets outdated really fast. Even if you were to buy 2x 680 4GB cards, they will be obsolete within one year in the sense that you will have to play most games on their second highest graphical display options.

Is it worth it in terms of gameplay immersion? Hell yes! I would play all my games in surround if I had the option to as it provides an edge compared to most players. For instance, in racing games you can see people about to pass you and in FPS games, you can see a sneaky dude coming to knife you from the side.

Its also worth noting that not all games actually support it. A really good example will be Mass Effect 3, but I am assuming that will not be much of a problem with newer games.

In the end, it boils down to does the cost justify the experience and whether you will be willing to spend a large sum of money every 2 years for buying GPUs which can handle the newer games on their highest graphical settings. If you can, then go for it! :)

[An optimum GPU setup for Crysis 3 with 1080p monitors on surround- 2x 780s in SLI :P]

PC in Profile