Surface pro 3 or something else?

So, the thing is I'm thinking of buying my mom something that can replace the old laptop and old tablet. The pricing is a bitt harsh on the surface, but it will be so much faster even in the i3 version. The SD card slot is it possible to run programs and use it as a normal drive?

But with that in mind i3 64gb and so on, is there anything in the same price rang that is better and / or cheaper and can replace laptop and tablet?

Thanks for you help

So, the thing is I'm thinking of buying my mom something that can replace the old laptop and old tablet. The pricing is a bitt harsh on the surface, but it will be so much faster even in the i3 version. The SD card slot is it possible to run programs and use it as a normal drive?

Unless you need the power of the Haswell chips in the Surface Pro 3, check out something like the Asus Transformer Book T100 or T200.

Yes, it is possible to install programs onto an SD card and use it as a second drive, however make sure you have a higher speed SD card for this, at least a Class 10, because anything lower will load programs slower then you'd like.

"Rawr XD"

Ok, thanks for the speedy replies guys :-D

I need to take a look at those options then. She is not a very heavy user, some online stuff still needs that bloody java :-(