21:9 vs 16:9

filorigo
Go to solution Solved by aliendejoe,

I totally agree with and u got the point.

Now I have another question for you; do you think the Asus PB298Q (€399 the cheapest i colud find in IT) is worth the extra 100€ vs the LG (€299 the cheapest i colud find in IT) i found?

Nah, I think you should be fine with the LG, actually I think those two monitors use the same panel from LG, I may be wrong though. If you find the LG significantly cheaper than the Asus then go for it.

Although the Asus one comes with height adjustment, pivot, VESA support, etc. I'm only going for it because the LG isn't available in my country.

Hi guys,

I'm plannig to have a little upgrade.

I have a 21" full HD monitor now that is a quite bad and old one so i want to get a new one to use as main and keep this one as a secondary.

Mainly I use photo/video-editing programs (I'm not a pro at all), CAD and play some games.

I found the ASUS VX279Q (around 250€) as a possible buy but then surfing I saw this one: LG 29UM65-P (350€).

Is the ultra-wide LG worth the extra money? Considering I'll keep my old 21" anyway, will I have any advantage buying the 21:9 19" over the 16:9 27" one?

Which are the pros and cons of the two?

Does anyone have those two monitors? Do you guys have any other monitor I should look at?

Forgive my english and thanks for the help.

these are Linus's reviews:

ASUS VX279Q (it is basicly the same one but with a better frame, speaker and other thinks)

LG 29UM65-P

I believe the ultrawide is completely worth it. You can also get great deals on the lg25um64 as it's closer to $275 and only a little smaller than the 29" version. But much high pixel density. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Hi guys,

I'm plannig to have a little upgrade.

I have a 21" full HD monitor now that is a quite bad and old one so i want to get a new one to use as main and keep this one as a secondary.

Mainly I use photo/video-editing programs (I'm not a pro at all), CAD and play some games.

I found the ASUS VX279Q (around 250€) as a possible buy but then surfing I saw this one: LG 29UM65-P (350€).

Is the ultra-wide LG worth the extra money? Considering I'll keep my old 21" anyway, will I have any advantage buying the 21:9 19" over the 16:9 27" one?

Which are the pros and cons of the two?

Does anyone have those two monitors? Do you guys have any other monitor I should look at?

Forgive my english and thanks for the help.

these are Linus's reviews:

ASUS VX279Q (it is basicly the same one but with a better frame, speaker and other thinks)

LG 29UM65-P

I currently have a 29 inch Asus Ultra wide screen(21:9), and i will never go back to the old 16:9 aspect ratio.

Its VERY nice for gaming, and the colors (ips) will benefit your photo/video editing, as well as the extra space you get from the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

I believe the ultrawide is completely worth it. You can also get great deals on the lg25um64 as it's closer to $275 and only a little smaller than the 29" version. But much high pixel density.

That's actually equivalent, vertically, to a 20" monitor, so the 29" is better because it is equivalent, vertically, to a 23" monitor. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

That's actually equivalent, vertically, to a 20" monitor, so the 29" is better because it is equivalent, vertically, to a 23" monitor. ;)

That may be true but I had the 29" and found it too massive for me. I prefer the higher pixel density over size any day. I can always sit closer. It's just sooo sharp. It has a higher pixel density than a 27" 1440p monitor if that give you any idea.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

That may be true but I had the 29" and found it too massive for me. I prefer the higher pixel density over size any day. I can always sit closer. It's just sooo sharp. It has a higher pixel density than a 27" 1440p monitor if that gives you any idea.

Well, I's only saying that because @filorigo has a 22" (21.5") monitor already and

I think the 29" version may suit him better. But that's just my opinion though.

I'm glad the 25" one works for you. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Oh god is it worth it. I have one and the only upgrade I can thunk of would be surround with this in the middle. Mhhhmmm 6400x1080 goodness.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

I'm in the same dilemma as you, wanting to buy a 21:9 monitor (Asus PB298Q) but find it a bit expensive, at least in my country. I've been contemplating the pros ands cons of 21:9 over 16:9. I'm upgrading from a 24" 1080p so a 29'' 21:9 will be a little smaller (vertical size) than my current 24". In your case that won't be a problem since the 29" will be both larger vertical and horizontal than your current 21".

If you do a little photo-video editing the 21:9 aspect ratio will come in handy for example; in photoshop you can have your layer, text, gradient, history, etc panels open at the same time without visually interfering with your image at all.

FPS games will benefit the most out of that 21:9 aspect ratio, the extended field of view will make the game more immersive. RTS games will benefit too since there's more ground on screen to interact.

I'm hoping to grab that monitor by the end of the year.

I'm in the same dilemma as you, wanting to buy a 21:9 monitor (Asus PB298Q) but find it a bit expensive, at least in my country. I've been contemplating the pros ands cons of 21:9 over 16:9. I'm upgrading from a 24" 1080p so a 29'' 21:9 will be a little smaller (vertical size) than my current 24". In your case that won't be a problem since the 29" will be both larger vertical and horizontal than your current 21".

If you do a little photo-video editing the 21:9 aspect ratio will come in handy for example; in photoshop you can have your layer, text, gradient, history, etc panels open at the same time without visually interfering with your image at all.

FPS games will benefit the most out of that 21:9 aspect ratio, the extended field of view will make the game more immersive. RTS games will benefit too since there's more ground on screen to interact.

I'm hoping to grab that monitor by the end of the year.

Now I have another question for you; do you think the Asus PB298Q (€399 the cheapest i colud find in IT) is worth the extra 100€ vs the LG (€299 the cheapest i colud find in IT) i found?

Nah, I think you should be fine with the LG, actually I think those two monitors use the same panel from LG, I may be wrong though. If you find the LG significantly cheaper than the Asus then go for it.

Although the Asus one comes with height adjustment, pivot, VESA support, etc. I'm only going for it because the LG isn't available in my country.

Awesome, thanks.

I was confused about the same thing yesterday and still am. Should I go for 32" / 34" Monitors? I have a budget of about $700 which initially I kept for 3 Monitor Nvidia Surround Setup but after seeing Linus's review on the LG's 34" I was more impressed with the Large Single Display.

After researching a lot, I narrowed it down to the 4 monitors - LG 34UM65, BenQ BL3200PT, Samsung S32D850T & ACER B326HUL (by order of preference).

Please advice which would be the best? 

P.S. - I mainly play FPS Games and few Racing Games and I am not an expert gamer and ultimate aim is to get immersive gaming or movie experience.

I was confused about the same thing yesterday and still am. Should I go for 32" / 34" Monitors? I have a budget of about $700 which initially I kept for 3 Monitor Nvidia Surround Setup but after seeing Linus's review on the LG's 34" I was more impressed with the Large Single Display.

After researching a lot, I narrowed it down to the 4 monitors - LG 34UM65, BenQ BL3200PT, Samsung S32D850T & ACER B326HUL (by order of preference).

Please advice which would be the best? 

P.S. - I mainly play FPS Games and few Racing Games and I am not an expert gamer and ultimate aim is to get immersive gaming or movie experience.

LG:

I think Linus said enough about this one, if I had the money it would be my choice for too many reasons...

BenQ:

Looks to be a very nice monitor more suitable for photo-editing that gaming because of its 10-bit panel and its quite high pixel density (109PPI). The amount of actual pixels lower because of its narrower shape, resulting in a higher frame rate but with a narrower filed of view while gaming. Movies are shot in 21:9 (cinematic aspect ratio) and resulting in black bars on a 16:9 panel.

Samsung:

at a first quick analisys I would say the same as for the BenQ but keeping in mind that it does look to have 10-bit color depth. And the panel is a VA vs the BenQ being an IPS.

Acer:

The same as for the Samsung.

Consider I'm obviously not an expert but this what I could figure out in 20 minutes surfing.

Certainly the LG is the best choice for both productivity, gaming and some "image" editing, but it is around 33% heavier to play with. The BenQ is a very nice monitor and should offer very sharp images and allow you to play with a higher frame rate/higher settings bbut with a norrower field of view.

LG:

I think Linus said enough about this one, if I had the money it would be my choice for too many reasons...

Certainly the LG is the best choice for both productivity, gaming and some "image" editing, but it is around 33% heavier to play with. The BenQ is a very nice monitor and should offer very sharp images and allow you to play with a higher frame rate/higher settings bbut with a norrower field of view.

Linus appreciated the big brother of this monitor which retails around $1000(3440X1440), the one I am looking at is about $600(2560X1080).

I will be using GTX 980 to power up these so I guess performance shouldn't be an issue. So now I am almost sure of the LG 34" Monitor.

Hmm 2560x1080 on a 34" would have very low pixel density and I don't recommend that unless you seat very far from the monitor. If I had the money I'd go for the 34UM95, if not I would go for the 29".

Sorry, my bad...

I totally agree with aliendejoe: That 34" (34UM65) will be very low pixel density while it's bigger brother (34UM95) will be much better.

This is what I''l do:

-if I had the money I'll get 34UM95

-if your budget cannot get that high I'll probably go for the BenQ

With a 980 you shouldn't have problems anyways.