2x256gb or 1x512gb

dunkanlord

Hello,

So i am atlast thinking to get ssd for my PC (already have on laptop) just i am thinking about getting 2x256gb in raid0 or just 1x512gb.

Failure and losing data wont be problem because data what need to save just will hold on hdd because i dont need speed or faster access to it and what data i need to access i will anyway hold in cloud because just need at same time on laptop and PC.

Just interested if i will get some noticable speed benefit on raid0 and with 2x256gb in price is 0 difference.

Do you record gaming and such?
If so, you'll benefit from RAID0.

If you don't and it's just for day to day use and gaming and such, you won't.

Save the money and get the single drive.

If you can score a wicked deal on 2 256gb drives, and it's cheaper than buying the 512gb, then do that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Do you record gaming and such?

If so, you'll benefit from RAID0.

If you don't and it's just for day to day use and gaming and such, you won't.

Save the money and get the single drive.

If you can score a wicked deal on 2 256gb drives, and it's cheaper than buying the 512gb, then do that.

how i said in price is 0 difference both solutions cost same price and i am thinking about crucial mx100

how i said in price is 0 difference both solutions cost same price and i am thinking about crucial mx100

What I said stands true regardless of cost.

You can sometimes find excellent deals. As I said, if you can get 2 256gb for less than the cost of the 512gb unit, do that.

If not, chances are slim to none that you'll ever notice the speed increase if you're just using it for day to day use.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd go with the 512. The KISS rule on everything.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

That's a good drive.

Question before you buy: Do you think you'll be adding a lot more drives to your system? Do you have most of your SATA ports used up?

Keep in mind that two drives requires two SATA ports. If you don't have many ports to spare and are thinking about adding more storage later on, then you might want to consider a single, large drive.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

That's a good drive.

Question before you buy: Do you think you'll be adding a lot more drives to your system? Do you have most of your SATA ports used up?

Keep in mind that two drives requires two SATA ports. If you don't have many ports to spare and are thinking about adding more storage later on, then you might want to consider a single, large drive.

i have 2 sata3 ports then 4 sata2 ports now i am using only 1 drive in sata3 and how much know there isnt big difference for hdd to be in sata2 or sata3 then i have dvd-rw and 1 damn old hdd what suppoers anyway only sata2 and both old hdd and dvd-rw isnt connected just because of sound :) if i need not so long time to connect back:P so i have 2 ports for raid0 and if i will add then hdd and will swap with old hdd so i will get 1 port anyway free at end

P.S found out that have total of 4 sata3 ports just dunno why they are different 2 is chipset other 2 is VIA VL800 chip