Upgrade Opinions?

shayned1997

So I currently have a gtx 660 and am looking at getting the strix 970 for xmas. But i am not sure that i should. This would be my first actual upgrade for my first system and its hard finally biting the bullet and realizing the card is getting out of date. What im wondering is should I do the upgrade yet or should I wait.

Are you unhappy with the performance you're getting now? If so, upgrade. If not, don't.

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

What im wondering is should I do the upgrade yet or should I wait.

This is pretty much the question everyone asks themselves before an upgrade. If the money you are spending doesn't have a better use and you aren't happy with performance then go for it otherwise look for something else to spend your money on.

Are you unhappy with the performance you're getting now? If so, upgrade. If not, don't.

This is pretty much the question everyone asks themselves before an upgrade. If the money you are spending doesn't have a better use and you aren't happy with performance then go for it otherwise look for something else to spend your money on.

I can still run everything fine just having to turn down the graphics on like new games coming out im starting to not like haha.

So I currently have a gtx 660 and am looking at getting the strix 970 for xmas. But i am not sure that i should. This would be my first actual upgrade for my first system and its hard finally biting the bullet and realizing the card is getting out of date. What im wondering is should I do the upgrade yet or should I wait.

if 970 on sale, go for it.

I can still run everything fine just having to turn down the graphics on like new games coming out im starting to not like haha.

Most of the time you won't notice it any but i'd wait till AMD releases their new cards. The performance may be better or close to a 970 for a lower price. If anything the 970 may drop in price.

Most of the time you won't notice it any but i'd wait till AMD releases their new cards. The performance may be better or close to a 970 for a lower price. If anything the 970 may drop in price.

Alright i will see what happens. Sorry gonna sound fanboyish but im an nvidia guy all the way. If the price goes down i will

Alright i will see what happens. Sorry gonna sound fanboyish but im an nvidia guy all the way. If the price goes down i will

Fanboyism can cost you money. Why would you not try AMD.

Fanboyism can cost you money. Why would you not try AMD.

Ya i know it can and it already has i went intel and nvidia. My way of looking at is you get what you pay for and from what i have seen nvidia cards generaly run cooler and quieter than amd

Ya i know it can and it already has i went intel and nvidia. My way of looking at is you get what you pay for and from what i have seen nvidia cards generaly run cooler and quieter than amd

and power consumption

and power consumption

But your concern is performance i understand your point but the new cards may be an exception to what is generally the rule.

But your concern is performance i understand your point but the new cards may be an exception to what is generally the rule.

ya i will see maybe not sure i am going to upgrade yet. Amd will do something great and than BOOM 960 950ti 980ti and titan 2 lmao

ya i will see maybe not sure i am going to upgrade yet. Amd will do something great and than BOOM 960 950ti 980ti and titan 2 lmao

Just wait meng you'll regret it if you upgrade now lol.

The gtx 970 is great for todays games at 1080p, but if you want something that will handle games coming up in late 2015 it might be worth it to wait for the r9 390/x series, as it is rumored to offer some groundbreaking performance and its 20nm so would likely do so without a lot more heat or power consumption, especially since AMD has likely seen how well Nvidia selling lower TDP and temps are working out for them. It really depends on if you are buying this card for particular games in mind that are already out, or looking for something that will handle upcoming games, and whether you can wait til Feb or really want something for the holidays.

The AMD hate is kind of silly. They aren't some fly by night company. They make the processors and GPUs for the ps4, XONE and WIIU, and since a lot of upcoming PC games will be console ports it might help to have a next gen AMD GPU.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB