Unique Games

rashdanml

I'll preface this by saying I haven't played many games. I'm slowly working through a backlog on steam, which includes games like: Half-Life series, Mass Effect series, Crysis series, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, BioShock 1 and 2 (played Infinite), Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, among others. It's a long list, and I'll be very busy.

However, I'm a huge fan of games that truly blow me away with an entirely unique core feature. Two games come to mind: Portal 1/2 and Mirror's Edge. The Portal mechanic was different from anything else at the time; sure, the story and other elements in the first game lacked polish, but Portal 2 built up on it and delivered an amazing, mind-numbingly challenging and deeply satisfying sequel. Mirror's Edge is unique (correct me if I'm wrong) due to the first-person Parkour-style gameplay. Afaik, it's the first to have that kind of gameplay, and the camera effects were very well done. Like Portal, it lacked polish, but has amazing potential (Mirror's Edge 2 may deliver on that potential).

Taking the above games into consideration, what other games fit along those lines? Games that originally started off as something completely different from other games, games that re-defined a particular genre (Half-Life is one of them, I believe), games with sequels that have built up on and polished the older game mechanics. Games with an entirely unique concept that inspired many other games (using the same core mechanic but with a different setting, visual style, etc).

Basically games that made you think: "Wow, that was different".

Any suggestions would be nice. Brief explanation as to why would be nice too.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Well I doubt my opinion of yours is the same as I didn't find Half-Life 1 to be "Wow, that was different". There are a plethora of PS1 and PS2 and PSP games that fit that category for me, though I know you posted this in the PC section. 

You might like EvoLand, it was SUPER unpolished but it was a very neat idea. Bit.Trip Runner would be another worth looking at, as well as VVVVVV

As for older console games, "One Piece Mansion" was a game that made me think that. "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?" is another one. The Pheonix Wright series fall under that category for me. 

A few others would be Stretch Panic, Shadow of the Colossus, Muramasa the Demon Blade, Asura's Wrath. 

Bastion. Though you've likely already played it in mentioning a backlog of Steam games, it was a game that made me go "Wow, that was awesome." It is somewhat different imo in the overall ... aesthetic? Not sure what is unique about it, but it's unique, to me at least.

If you are willing to go PS1, Silent Hill. I believe that was one of the first major horror games to truly be scary.

I haven't got many others, sadly. Bit of a main stream gamer myself.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I do have Bastion, but haven't gotten around to playing it. It does have an interesting aesthetic to it. It's on my to-play list. Along with Amnesia and some other games from Humble bundles.

As for Half-life, I only included it because of the overall positive reception almost everywhere on the internet. One review went as far as to call it the FPS game that defined the genre -shrug- May have been an exaggeration.

Setting aside Console games for later, if I ever do get around to buying a console or using an emulator.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Thomas was alone. A lot of indie titles are very unique.

Tribes. Once you experience FPS+Z genre (tribes, legions, etc), no other genre can quite satisfy the need for speed and accuracy.

Well if you happen to have a ps3 then I would say journey on psn

I second this and add that you should also play ThatGameCompany's other games Flower and Fl0w, which are both very cool interesting games.

I second this and add that you should also play ThatGameCompany's other games Flower and Fl0w, which are both very cool interesting games.

I haven't heard of those I'll have to try them out. Are they also on ps3

I haven't heard of those I'll have to try them out. Are they also on ps3

Yes. Exclusives I believe.