Headphone / Headset / setup Help

SacredSorcery

Hello all been a long time reader and this is my first real question I supose.

I am looking to get a better headphone / headset  solution to what I am currently using. 

Currently I have a Astro A40 with Mixamp going to an optical cable to my PC. Also I have my xbox ran to a 13year old RCA 300watt amp that is than also ran to the Astro mixamp so that I can hit a button and switch over to the xbox if I am gaming there. ( there is more ran to the 300watt amp to go out to speakers.

What I would like is a solution with a better headphone or headset I dont do alot of ingame voice chating anymore and could switch back to the astros for those time in need.

So to sum up quickly.

Looking for a better sound than that astros offer ( I find myself pluging a pair of Bose IE2 intothe astro mix amp more than wearing the astros).

comfort these are on for 4-12 hours a day ( alot of the time with only one earcup on to hear people in my home)

looking at a budge of around 300-350 dollars but can be a bit mroe flexable ( would liek to be able to get any of the needed equipment within this range but again can be flexable if needed)

and suggestions on possible setup ( wireing configuration and such)

oh and to cover as well - 

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295

on the PC

thank you for suggestions,comments, ideas

also sorry for grammer,punctiation, spell so on so forth.

snip

I think the MixAmp itself should deliver decent enough sound, so just getting a better set of headphones should be enough, and I assume you can plug in normal mics into it too. Okay, so do you need open (better for gaming, but no isolation) or closed (isolate, not as good for gaming, most have a little more bass9 headphones? and what sort of sound signature do you prefer, bassy, balanced or bright?

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Yes the mixamp can handle a standalone mic solution. 

as for sound signature I am somewhat new to this so unsure.

Games I play ( World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, and varius steam games ( AC: unity, Shadows of Moardor ect.)

Music I listen too is a wide verity mostly Syphonic metal ( metal with operatic vocals and orchastra backing ( Epica, Within temptation, Nightwish) but aslo alot of clubstyle stuff an straight dancestyle high bpm stuff.

hope this helps a bit. sorry for un-educated response in terminology 

I think the MixAmp itself should deliver decent enough sound, so just getting a better set of headphones should be enough, and I assume you can plug in normal mics into it too. Okay, so do you need open (better for gaming, but no isolation) or closed (isolate, not as good for gaming, most have a little more bass9 headphones? and what sort of sound signature do you prefer, bassy, balanced or bright?

Yes the mixamp can handle a standalone mic solution. At least a PC mic.

Games I play ( World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, and varius steam games ( AC: unity, Shadows of Moardor ect.)

Music I listen too is a wide verity mostly Syphonic metal ( metal with operatic vocals and orchastra backing ( Epica, Within temptation, Nightwish) but aslo alot of clubstyle stuff an straight dancestyle high bpm stuff.

Yes the mixamp can handle a standalone mic solution. At least a PC mic.

Are you after lots of bass in general? And do you need isolation (passive or active sound cancelling), or is an open set of headphones preferred (no isolation but they usually sound a little more natural)?

For closed, ranging from lots of bass to less bass or more balanced: the Mayflower Fostex T50RP Modded version 3*, Beyerdynamic DT770*, Custom One Pro, CHC Silverado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (or the M40x for a cheaper version, I also have a review in my signature), Version 1 and 2 of the T50RP*, Sony MDR-1R, Shure SRH840 and 440 (review of 440 in signature), and maybe even the AKG 240 / 242*.

For open, ranging from lots of bass to less bass: Beyerdynamic DT990*, DT880*, Philips Fidelio X1 and X2, Sennheiser HD5x8 series, or even 600* or 650* if you want, Pioneer SE-A1000 (amazing value), AKG K612, K702* or 701*, or Q 702* or 701*, aaand that's about what I can think of.

* = this might need an amp, but not necessarily, some come in lower ohm versions, others are not efficient, depending on current audio setup, idk about the MixAmp.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Are you after lots of bass in general? And do you need isolation (passive or active sound cancelling), or is an open set of headphones preferred (no isolation but they usually sound a little more natural)?

For closed, ranging from lots of bass to less bass or more balanced: the Mayflower Fostex T50RP Modded version 3*, Beyerdynamic DT770*, Custom One Pro, CHC Silverado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (or the M40x for a cheaper version, I also have a review in my signature), Version 1 and 2 of the T50RP*, Sony MDR-1R, Shure SRH840 and 440 (review of 440 in signature), and maybe even the AKG 240 / 242*.

For open, ranging from lots of bass to less bass: Beyerdynamic DT990*, DT880*, Philips Fidelio X1 and X2, Sennheiser HD5x8 series, or even 600* or 650* if you want, Pioneer SE-A1000 (amazing value), AKG K612, K702* or 701*, or Q 702* or 701*, aaand that's about what I can think of.

* = this might need an amp, but not necessarily, some come in lower ohm versions, others are not efficient, depending on current audio setup, idk about the MixAmp.

Thanks for all the input it has been very very helpful, I have decided to go with a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro I have heard really good things about these else where as well. will test with the mixamp from the astros first and than the old RCA amp I have before makign a decission on AMP/DAC solutions.

Thanks for all the input it has been very very helpful, I have decided to go with a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro I have heard really good things about these else where as well. will test with the mixamp from the astros first and than the old RCA amp I have before makign a decission on AMP/DAC solutions.

If you still want a microphone, I would highly recommend picking up a ModMic 4.0, which can be added right onto the DT990 Pro's. http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage