Do I need a dust filter at the top of my case?

Cs342

I have 2 fans exhausting air out the top of my case (pulling air through a radiator below the fans). I currently have a dust filter on top of the fans. Should I remove it?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yea, all you're doing is restricting air and making it noisy. take them off and switch your rear fan to an intake and filter that

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

There is not a real need for dust filters at the top of the case as they will just restrict how much air can get out. It is a trade off, of either having some dust getting into your case or getting a very slight decrease in temperatures.

The dust getting into your case will mainly be when the computer is off as the fans do not push away the dust. I don't have dust filters at the top of my case, and it is a minimal amount of dust that enters the case from the top. So I wouldn't care much about dust filters on exhaust fans. Intake fans however suck in air and dust and here it would be more sensible to place them.

Yes, as long as those fans are on there's no need for a filter. However if your computer's off you could put the filter back on to stop dust from floating into your case.

Thanks for the replies. Would the small amount of dust accumulated during off-time be instantly blown away and out through the case once the fans come on?

You don't need filters on exaust fans like everyone else said. Heck, my case doesn't have any dust filters

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Thanks for the replies. Would the small amount of dust accumulated during off-time be instantly blown away and out through the case once the fans come on?

Theoretically, yes. Some dust may get stick on the rad, and you will have to clean that off yourself, but the other dust will either be exhausted out of the case, or get stuck on the fans. 

So should I still remove the dust filter if dust will get in? Or will there not be much dust buildup at all?

So should I still remove the dust filter if dust will get in? Or will there not be much dust buildup at all?

If it's an exhaust, there's no need for dust filters. I've been running my pc without side panels on it for the last few months and even that hasn't made my pc into one giant dust ball. If you just make sure that all your intakes are filtered and that you have more air flowing into your case then flowing out (positive pressure), you'll be fine.

How about the rear exhaust? No dust filter either?

Doesn't matter where the fan is, as long as it's an exhaust filter is just useless.

Pc1:  i5 3570k | GTX 680 stock | Kingston V300 256gb | Asrock Z77E-ITX | Silverstone Strider 550W | H80 w NF-P12 | Node 304
Pc2:  Q8200 | GTX 260 216C | 500gb 2.5" | 3tb 3.5" Asus P5N-D | Corsair HX 750W | Arctic Freezer 13 Limited edition | Nzxt H2