migrating to duel ssd and hdd config

techgeek12

hi guys I just got my first SSD its a Kingston v300 120 gigabyte drive I was wondering I need to get windows over to my ssd but I want to keep everything such as my games and pictures and my documents on the hard drive how would I be able to do that

I have never heard of dual SAD's before bu tin all seriousness use a migration utility start by cloning the os onto the ssd

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

hi guys I just got my first SSD its a Kingston v300 120 gigabyte drive I was wondering I need to get windows over to my ssd but I want to keep everything such as my games and pictures and my documents on the hard drive how would I be able to do that

Hey there techgeek12,

Congrats on getting a SSD :)
Depending on what HDD you have, you could use a cloning software to move all your data from the HDD to the SSD. Be careful, though, as your HDD is probably larger than that SSD and you would need a software smart enough to move only selected files so you can fit everything you need on the SSD.
In case your HDD is a Western Digital one, I would recommend checking out Acronis True Image WD Edition. It should do the job for you (here's a link: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119). For other manufacturers, you could check out their websites and find their recommended cloning software.
You could also create an image of your OS drive (again, be careful with the sizes) and restore it on the SSD.

I always recommend a fresh install when changing drives (especially when it's from HDD to SSD). as this way you avoid any compatibility issues with the hardware and the drivers and registry. 

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there techgeek12,

Congrats on getting a SSD :)
Depending on what HDD you have, you could use a cloning software to move all your data from the HDD to the SSD. Be careful, though, as your HDD is probably larger than that SSD and you would need a software smart enough to move only selected files so you can fit everything you need on the SSD.
In case your HDD is a Western Digital one, I would recommend checking out Acronis True Image WD Edition. It should do the job for you (here's a link: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119). For other manufacturers, you could check out their websites and find their recommended cloning software.
You could also create an image of your OS drive (again, be careful with the sizes) and restore it on the SSD.

I always recommend a fresh install when changing drives (especially when it's from HDD to SSD). as this way you avoid any compatibility issues with the hardware and the drivers and registry. 

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.

Thanks! but what about all the drivers? i have a WD Blue that I am going to use a storage drive

Sam

Thanks! but what about all the drivers? i have a WD Blue that I am going to use a storage drive

Sam

If you do cloning of the drive, you shouldn't have problems with the drivers as the process makes a complete copy of the drive. Since you are using WD Blue, Acronis True Image WD Edition should work just fine for you. Make sure you choose less amount of data for the process than the size of the SSD. 
After the process is complete, you shouldn't have problems using both drives in your system, deleting the OS from the HDD. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

If you do cloning of the drive, you shouldn't have problems with the drivers as the process makes a complete copy of the drive. Since you are using WD Blue, Acronis True Image WD Edition should work just fine for you. Make sure you choose less amount of data for the process than the size of the SSD. 
After the process is complete, you shouldn't have problems using both drives in your system, deleting the OS from the HDD. 

Captain_WD.

Ok then after i clone the drive can i just move the program folder to the HDD so all my programs are on there and not the SSD

Ok then after i clone the drive can i just move the program folder to the HDD so all my programs are on there and not the SSD

You might need to re-install all your programs and games if you decide to move them from the SSD to the HDD to avoid any driver and registry problems. But, ideally -yes, you can use the SSD for the OS and most important files and programs/games and all the rest can be stored and installed on the HDD. :)

Captain_WD.

You might need to re-install all your programs and games if you decide to move them from the SSD to the HDD to avoid any driver and registry problems. But, ideally -yes, you can use the SSD for the OS and most important files and programs/games and all the rest can be stored and installed on the HDD. :)

Captain_WD.

I just did a fresh install and redownloaded all my games in programs i had no personal files