Possible PSU problem?

stereophonie

I have a 600w Corsair PSU in my current system which is around 4 years old now. I run a 3570k and a GTX770 so 600w is more than enough but for this past week my computer has been turning itself on. Also at full load whilst gaming all my USB peripherals seem to stop working and won't work again until after a reboot. I think this may be a PSU problem but before I splash the cash on a new one is it a possibility it could be something else? I've heard of mice acting up and shorting USB ports before, although I'd imagine it would do it randomly other than at full load if it was the mouse.

Do you have another power supply you can try out? Maybe from a friend?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I don't unfortunately, I've been looking about and I think I'm going to get an RM650. I would just hate to spend £80 and find out I'm having the same problem. I have one PSU in the house that's spare but it's a 250w which I wouldn't even risk putting in my machine haha.

The power supply should not be able to turn on your PC... For me it sounds more like your motherboard having problems. Check your BIOS/UEFI settings if PCI POL options are enabled. My POL settings are not working correctly at the moment and my PC sometimes randomly starts in the night because my router send a ping or something to check if it is still online.

I really don't think it's the PSU. But you could install the 250W PSU and start your PC without your GPU. If I'm right it should have the same problems now too. But this is no 100% indicator because your motherboard could just have problems when it gets too much power handling the GPU. But is is a start i guess...

If you bought the new PSU and you still had the same problem, couldn't you just return it?

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

For me, it sounds like 2 separate proplems, not related to each other:

1. PC randomly turning on

2. USB stops working

As saied for 1.: Make shure, that in your Bios (and maybe App-Centre software) the POL (aka WakeOnLan) is off.

As for 2.: I remember having read Z77s with VIA-Controller having some problems. Maybe it's just the driver. Worth checking that first.

Edit: Phone swallowed words.

It's a Z77X-UD3H I have. I've just got a new PSU so will install it later tonight and see if the problem persists. All my drivers are fully updated but I'll see if there is an old revision to move to if the problem is still there. POL is definitely turned off and always has been.

I never even thought of the PSU overheating. Would that cause the USB ports to switch off during full load? I'm quite literally in the middle of installing the RM650 so I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Posted Image

Try and reinstall your motherboard's USB 3.0/2.0 drivers, or see if there is an update for your chipset drivers, or USB drivers. This happened to me when I tried to use a controller on my front panel USB ports. 

My system: i7 4790k / / NZXT H440 / / Custom CPU & GPU loop / / Coming soon... / / MSI Z97 GAMING 9 A.C. / / Corsair RM850 / / Silverstone Black/Red Cables / / Kingston HyperX 3k 240GBx2 / / WD Black 3TB / / G.Skill Sniper 16gb 1600MHz / / 

All seems well after the new PSU being installed, only time will tell I suppose. If the problem turns up again I'll be sure to try the solutions above. Thanks.

All seems well after the new PSU being installed, only time will tell I suppose. If the problem turns up again I'll be sure to try the solutions above. Thanks.

Glad to hear it's working good so far, I hope the problem doesn't turn up again.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Yes it was definitely the PSU I experienced a similar problem with a faulty PSU fan,

Well that's well over two hours of gaming done and not a hitch so it certainly seems so.