CPU Fan Headers?

jonn.

theres a 3 pin and a 4 pin CPU Fan header on my asrock z87 exetreme4, is there any problem using the 3 pin header as a case fan? Will it have adjustable voltages etc? While the 4 pin is being used to cool the CPU

Thanks in advance!

The 4pin is for the CPU and he 3pin is for case fans,
With programs like SpeedFan you might be able to adjust the RPM if your motherboard supports it.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

The 4pin is for the CPU and he 3pin is for case fans,

With programs like SpeedFan you might be able to adjust the RPM if your motherboard supports it.

the 3 pin is next to the 4 pin which is next to the cpu and is named CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 (4pin, 3 pin respectively)

edit: I have 3 pin chasis fan in a sep area

the 3 pin is next to the 4 pin which is next to the cpu and is named CPU_FAN1 and CPU_FAN2 (4pin, 3 pin respectively)

edit: I have 3 pin chasis fan in a sep area

Then the 4pin is probably the primary and the 3pin is the secondary if you want a chassi fan to respond directly with the CPU temp.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

It will most likely work, but you might no be able to control both fans individually. They will both have the same fan curve.

Edit: just tested it and can confirm that it works

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB