Kraken G10 and AIO Questions

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

okay early next year im going to be building a high end computer.

At the time im looking at getting a gtx 980 with a intel i7 5280k, for my case im leaning towards the h440 from nzxt (but if i should change leave a suggestion down below)

This is my first time building a water cooled pc and want to keep it simple by using AIO liquid coolers, so first question, ive already decided on getting a 280mm AIO for my cpu but i am wondering should i get a 140mm AIO or a 280mm AsIo for the gpu. I am going to be overclocking both. secondly will the VRAM on my gpu overheat with the G10 as ive heard issues about this.

Im thinking about sticking with nzxt for both AIO coolers but if there are better ones let me know. If you think a custom loop will be better then dont hesitate to say just post guides that are beginner friendly.

Thanks in advanced. 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Make sure to follow your topic and in order for someone to see that you have replied, you need to quote or "@" them.

I did something very similar to you, an AIO for my CPU and an AIO + G10 for my GPU.  It works VERY well, and is not expensive.

For your case, I will implore you to consider something other than the H440.  While it is a nice looking case, it has terrible airflow and no bay drives, which can be very useful for future watercooling, fan controllers, or NZXT Hue perhaps.

Right now, the best case for $100 is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.  I own this case myself, and I couldn't be happier with it.  Another excellent option is the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe($150).  The cases have better build quality, more features, and much better water cooling support.

Next, here is my How to Water Cool a CPU + GPU Guide for Under $200 USD.  Look over that guide because I go in much greater detail about the products used, and especially the G10.

If you want to buy a larger CPU AIO, by all means, go for it.  It may be more expensive than the one I used though.  Look into the X61.  Its a phenomenal AIO.  Use the X61 on your CPU.

Now, for the GPU.  Anything more than 120mm and you start to see diminishing returns.  The difference between an H55 and an X61 on the same GPU is only 6-7C.  The H55 already drops 780/290/780Ti/290X/970/980s to around 50-55C.  You will also be cramped for space, and have tubing running every which way if you try and place two 240/280mm radiators in a case.  I recommend going with a X61 on the top of your case, and a 120/140mm AIO in the rear.  I personally bought an X31 to cool my GPU, and it performs very well, but it is fairly loud.  Maybe the X41 is different.  I personally think that the H55 is your best option, it can be found for around $40-$50, so from a price to performance perspective, it is easily the best.

At the time im looking at getting a gtx 980 with a intel i7 5280k, for my case im leaning towards the h440 from nzxt (but if i should change leave a suggestion down below)

This is my first time building a water cooled pc and want to keep it simple by using AIO liquid coolers, so first question, ive already decided on getting a 280mm AIO for my cpu but i am wondering should i get a 140mm AIO or a 280mm AsIo for the gpu. I am going to be overclocking both. secondly will the VRAM on my gpu overheat with the G10 as ive heard issues about this.

Im thinking about sticking with nzxt for both AIO coolers but if there are better ones let me know. If you think a custom loop will be better then dont hesitate to say just post guides that are beginner friendly.

Thanks in advanced. 

Thanks in advanced. 

Make sure to follow your topic and in order for someone to see that you have replied, you need to quote or "@" them.

I did something very similar to you, an AIO for my CPU and an AIO + G10 for my GPU.  It works VERY well, and is not expensive.

For your case, I will implore you to consider something other than the H440.  While it is a nice looking case, it has terrible airflow and no bay drives, which can be very useful for future watercooling, fan controllers, or NZXT Hue perhaps.

Right now, the best case for $100 is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.  I own this case myself, and I couldn't be happier with it.  Another excellent option is the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe($150).  The cases have better build quality, more features, and much better water cooling support.

Next, here is my How to Water Cool a CPU + GPU Guide for Under $200 USD.  Look over that guide because I go in much greater detail about the products used, and especially the G10.

If you want to buy a larger CPU AIO, by all means, go for it.  It may be more expensive than the one I used though.  Look into the X61.  Its a phenomenal AIO.  Use the X61 on your CPU.

Now, for the GPU.  Anything more than 120mm and you start to see diminishing returns.  The difference between an H55 and an X61 on the same GPU is only 6-7C.  The H55 already drops 780/290/780Ti/290X/970/980s to around 50-55C.  You will also be cramped for space, and have tubing running every which way if you try and place two 240/280mm radiators in a case.  I recommend going with a X61 on the top of your case, and a 120/140mm AIO in the rear.  I personally bought an X31 to cool my GPU, and it performs very well, but it is fairly loud.  Maybe the X41 is different.  I personally think that the H55 is your best option, it can be found for around $40-$50, so from a price to performance perspective, it is easily the best.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you want to buy a larger CPU AIO, by all means, go for it.  It may be more expensive than $200 though.  Look into the X61.  Its a phenomenal AIO.  Use the X61 on your CPU.

Thanks that helped heaps. Ill go for a x61 and h55 like you suggested as for the case ill have another look as airflow was one of my main concerns about the H440. ill also add the heatsinks you suggested i your guide. One final question should i have fans on either side on my radiators or on just one side. Thanks.

Thanks that helped heaps. Ill go for a x61 and h55 like you suggested as for the case ill have another look as airflow was one of my main concerns about the H440. ill also add the heatsinks you suggested i your guide. One final question should i have fans on either side on my radiators or on just one side. Thanks.

On the H55?  Definitely go with push/pull.  Thats a no-brainer.

The CPU isn't so simple.  First of all, it will depend on the case you use.  Both the H440 and Enthoo Pro will not allow you to go push/pull because there is not enough room.  The Luxe on the other hand does have enough room for push/pull on the top of the chassis.  Spending an extra $50 for the case, and ~$20-$40 on extra fans is not really worth it for 1-2C better performance.  Although, if you are talking longevity and you want to go full custom loop sometime in the future, that extra space is going to really come in handy by allowing you to use much thicker radiators, which will give you more than 1-2C performance.

Please, follow up with any questions, I am happy to answer.  Also, the OCN G10 Owner's Club is one of the best resources you could have for the G10 Mod.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

On the H55?  Definitely go with push/pull.  Thats a no-brainer.

The CPU isn't so simple.  First of all, it will depend on the case you use.  Both the H440 and Enthoo Pro will not allow you to go push/pull because there is not enough room.  The Luxe on the other hand does have enough room for push/pull on the top of the chassis.  Spending an extra $50 for the case, and ~$20-$40 on extra fans is not really worth it for 1-2C better performance.  Although, if you are talking longevity and you want to go full custom loop sometime in the future, that extra space is going to really come in handy by allowing you to use much thicker radiators, which will give you more than 1-2C performance.

Please, follow up with any questions, I am happy to answer.  Also, the OCN G10 Owner's Club is one of the best resources you could have for the G10 Mod.

Okay thanks. Is it a must have to get heat sinks on the vrm and vram or will it be fine without it

Okay thanks. Is it a must have to get heat sinks on the vrm and vram or will it be fine without it

You will be fine without it.  It is purely precautionary.  It does help though, no doubt about that, it does drop temps by an additional 10-15C which is not a small amount.  Even $6 Aluminum HeatSinks that I linked in my guide are all it takes to get better VRM and VRAM temps.

You will be fine without it.  It is purely precautionary.  It does help though, no doubt about that, it does drop temps by an additional 10-15C which is not a small amount.  Even $6 Aluminum HeatSinks that I linked in my guide are all it takes to get better VRM and VRAM temps.

Thanks so much that solves all my questions. BTW a massive thank you for showing me the phantek cases they are so epic and im defiantly getting one. Again thanks.

Thanks so much that solves all my questions. BTW a massive thank you for showing me the phantek cases they are so epic and im defiantly getting one. Again thanks.

Happy to help, and yes they are incredible!  I love mine, best case I have ever used and when you get it yourself you will see why.

the only downside ive heard about the h440 is airflow. i think its a fantastic looking case tho IMO. i think the 140mm will be fine for the GPU considering CPU's put out more heat then a GPU from what ive heard. and about your VRAM question that brings be back to my first point about the bad airflow in the case. i think you should be okay concidering the new 900 series graphics from nvidia consume wayyy less power which equates to way less heat. so you shouldnt have a problem but just be mindful about airflow. :)

I ran a similar set up in my H440 with a 290 and never had issues with temps. I had my rads exhausting out of course. 

I am now running on strictly air and all my Hardware is OC'd. I run my 4790k @ 1.3v and my 970 @ 1.3v as well. I also spend the majority of my nights stressing the hell out my my comp for HWbot points. I have 0 issues with airflow. H440 airflow is perfectly fine. If you get really concerned you can remove the front cover and it really opens it up. I noticed a very minimal difference doing that though.

Edit: I wouldnt recommend running your GPU without having adequate cooling on your VRM's and Mem. The single fan on the G10 will not be good enough if you plan on OC'ing the memory.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?