Yet another first time pc build, need some backup :)

Hey guys, quick introduction, I am currently living in Switzerland (important for parts availability and potential language barrier) and was for the last decade a intensive pc gamer. Intensive to the amount invested and the time the pc was running rather than the graphic intense games. I commited many sins over the years including buying a Dell non gaming pc for gaming purposes, buying a HP Probook for light games and last but not least spending my money for a more than average Alienware x51. All of this is long gone and in the past.

Now I am looking to build my first Pc, that comes of course with a good amount of "please God let me not fuck up and waste 1300$"-esque feeling. And there it is, my budget. Prices vary unfortunately from $ to CHF to EUR (whereever I can get my hands on for the parts). 

So I would like to build a pc that runs a bit better than the average bought computer. Meaning I want to smoothly ultra out games like CoD Advanced Warfare (dont judge), LoL, Dark Souls (and any further upcoming Souls Title for that matter), Minecraft, maybe WoW (we shall see if anything can hook me up again) and then the occational game (the guildwars you play for two days, the battlefield you try with friends, the witcher that you want to enjoy) - all of them not necessarily maxed out, but high would be nice at least. Shadows of Mordor maybe too. You get the idea of what my computer should run. No havy rendering, no photoshop big projects.

A fast neat machine for around 1300-1500$.

So my idea here was:

Case: Not really an idea, something Corsair 500R-ish. I don't really see how I know that it fits, especially that the video card is supposed to be a bit bigger/longer.

CPU: Here it depends. I was highly considering the i7-4790K 4.0 GHz. I potentially see also an i5-4760 if it's good enough, but then again why save on the CPU or Graphics. Ideas?

CPU Cooler: That's one of those points, where I don't really have an idea. Save on it an use the onboard one? Get a really cheap one? How do I know it fits into my case? 

Memory: I like the Corsair Vengeance. Question comes down to 2x 4GB or 2x 8GB (Does it bottleneck, or can I save a little here?)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.52 SSD and Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.52 7200RPM HDD. Straight forward I guess.

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX. Only heard good stuff about this one.

Motherboard: I would go for the MSI Z87-G45 but it is not really available. Though also about the Sabertooth Z87, but this one is costy.

Optical: Just pop anything in there. Not really needed for anything.

So that's my idea: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m8tnjX

Would be great if you could comment and help out with the points where I don't really know. Overall suggestions to improve this build would also be appreciated! 

Thank you so much for your help already. Greetings from Switzerland.

i5 4690K, Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo or a Noctua cooler, 2X4GB RAM, WD Black, MSI Gaming 5, Crucial MX100, Air 540 my suggestions

EDIT- Evga 750G2 would be my first choice PSU, then a Seasonic or Be Quiet

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

The i5 will be fine for gaming, i use a I7 and rarely push it hard in games.
I use the Zalman CNPS 11X Extreme for my cooler, pretty much silent and good if you want to overclock (note im have never used a water cooling setup)

use 2 x 4GB sticks for memory, 8gb is considered the norm for gaming machines
for the ssd id get a 250gb or 500gb one and use the spare space to store your games

for the case i use the cooler master haf 912 plus, is a good all rounder, can handle most setups and have never had any issues with it

Hello

The build you have set up is good. The case has good airflow and looks, the CPU is really good and if you ask me you can go for the 4690k and free up some money for a  980 you can use the RAM you have picked no problem and it even will look good with the motherboard you have picked, but you will have to know that having a single dim ram stick is not going to as fast as a dual channel memory setup (2x4 or 2x8) so set your RAM in dual channel. You can use a air cooler for you CP nike the Noctua NH14 , it is a great cooler silent and it does a great job with cooling even highly overclocked CPUs. I also use an optical drive because I use CDs from time to time. By the way if you have plans to add a second GPU get a better PSU, a minimum of 80% efficiency (80 Bronze, Silver or Gold).

You should save on the CPU since you are not doing heavy rendering or transcoding. A Better graphics card would suit you better. Here is a list of things that will be compatible. I have included a case that can fit the CPU cooler. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6krvNG

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Hi there,

I like the suggestions by @bbrooking18 and @jnmbhj. When it will be gaming and no heavy rendering etc, I'd recommend i5 . The i7 has an advantage when it comes to multitasking, but I think that i5-4690k should be great for your case (slightly better than i5-4670k). It should combine well with the MSI z87 – G45 Gaming. Looks great for OC. A lot of gamers I know tend to use either Cooler Master 212 EVO or a Noctua cooler. You can browse some comparisons online. Personally, I think it depends on what deal you find for them. A 128GB SSD should combine well with a 1TB HDD. Although WD Blue is a reliable, standard drive, I'd recommend a 1TB WD Black drive (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760), as it is the one WD designed especially for gamers. I also heard a lot of good stuff about the GTX 970. You can see some benchmarking for it and for GTX 980 and decide which one fits your needs and budget better.

Hope this helps,

Titania_WD

Thank you all a ton! Had to make it bold to show my graditude.

So what I took out of your replies comes as follows:

Case: Corsair 500R or Cooler Master COSMOS Se ATX (tend to the first one, but have to see which one is available and up to the needs)

CPU: i5-4690K 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4GB) 1866 DIMM (I also look for the ripjaws)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128/256 GB and WD Black 1TB HDD

Video Card: Asus GTX 970/980 STRIX

Optical: Asus DRW 24FIST/BLK/G/AS

Motherboard: Now here is another question. The MSI Z87 -G45 is not available at the store where i get all the rest. Now is it important to find this one or can I easily go with the MSI Z87-g43?

Last roundup questions before I buy them parts :) And thank you for the help one more time.

@Brunigro Can you find a Z97 board on that site for a similar price, there will be a difference between the two MSI boards but the G-43 should still be up for the task

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

@bbrooking18 yes, as far as i can see there are many, especially from asus. F.e. Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 or the (a little more expensive) MSI Z97 Gaming 5. 

yes, as far as i can see there are many, especially from asus. F.e. Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 or the (a little more expensive) MSI Z97 Gaming 5. 

Ok what about the MSI Gaming 3, that would be my recommendation, though the Sabretooth would be a good choice

Ok what about the MSI Gaming 3, that would be my recommendation, though the Sabretooth would be a good choice

Yes, they have the msi gaming 3 in stock and its cheaper too! So I should go for this one? All within the Corsair 500R?

Yes, they have the msi gaming 3 in stock and its cheaper too! So I should go for this one? All within the Corsair 500R?

Yeah should be a good build

Ok perfect. I forgot to mention the Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold, that should be enough as I don't think I will do much more in the futur with upgrading. Or should i go for more juice?

Lastly, windows 8.1 64 bit will do the job?

Ok perfect. I forgot to mention the Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold, that should be enough as I don't think I will do much more in the futur with upgrading. Or should i go for more juice?

Lastly, windows 8.1 64 bit will do the job?

See if you can get an Evga 750G2 because a 750W PSU will give the option of SLI, 8.1 64 bit is pretty much the only option for gamers at the moment unless you want 7

See if you can get an Evga 750G2 because a 750W PSU will give the option of SLI, 8.1 64 bit is pretty much the only option for gamers at the moment unless you want 7

EVGA Supernova 750 G2. Ok, perfect that summs it up. Thank you very much.

EVGA Supernova 750 G2. Ok, perfect that summs it up. Thank you very much.

No problem, best of luck with it.

Thats expensive ram, just get ripjaws or hyperx, they are red also. Or adata.

Adata all the way. They make great products for a even better price. 

Adata all the way. They make great products for a even better price. 

Cmon dont be biased :D

And they dont make the chips / pcb themselves. But they are good company, and ram is ram :D