H80i bricked by recent firmware update?

Hi, I'm new to the community as I've only recently found out about Linustechtips on Youtube. Anyway, I recently encountered an issue with a water cooler I've had for for almost 2 years now. It's a corsair H80i Water Cooler, the one that comes with a program called Corsair Link, which controls the pump, fan speed, led lights, etc. Since I got the cooler, I haven't really tried out the Corsair Link and I just had everything on default, letting my motherboard control the fan speeds and everything else to make sure the system is operating in optimal temperatures at load or idle. I've had zero problems with the setup, since I've built my PC, highest temps I've seen the CPU go was at 65° celsius, which is nothing it can't handle. I live in a tropical country and my room doesn't have air-conditioning, so the lowest I've seen on my CPU temp was at 34° celsius at idel. On average use, it's at about 42°-55°.

Everything was alright until I've recently found out that you can actually control the LED light on the H80i's pump. Make it change colors or simply turn it off. I was very interested in turning the LED lights off as I'm concerned that those LED lights being ON around 8-16 hrs a day could add to the heat on the pump or the air around it inside my case. I didn't really care to research much about the Corsair Link Software because it's a brand that I trust, I've had a lot of my hardware pieces be Corsair and they've all performed wonderfully. No problems with them, ever since. So I thought they can't really f*ck software up, they're doing so good with their hardware. So yea, I decided to download the latest version. the one compatible with my cooler, of course. Installed it and for some reason, it said it was going to download a certain firmware and install it to the pump. I was like, "OK, updated firmware, what could go wrong?". ACCEPT. So I got Corsair Link to work, I didn't really care much about messing with the fan speeds, I left it as it was. My only goal was to turn the LED lights off. So I did that, and I was so happy it worked. I closed the software and continued on with using my computer, the same way I've been doing on a daily basis.

And then, the problem started. I noticed my PC shut itself down. I thought it was just a windows error or something. Until it kept on happening. And the more it happened, the faster it did. Until it came to a point that in about 5 mins after turning the computer ON, it shuts down. I ran Click BIOS II (MSI motherboard) to check the CPU temp as I thought I knew what was happening. And I was right, the CPU temp was increasing gradually and when it hit about +85° it shuts down. I basically did a lot of troubleshooting to resolve the issue. I also tried leaving the LED lights ON and even uninstalling Corsair Link. I went on forums and looked for some people who've experienced the same issue but I can't seem to find them. I did notice that one of the tubes going from the pump to the radiator was at room temperature, but the other one was very warm / hot. And then I realized the pump stopped working entirely.

My question is, if this was caused by the recent firmware update and if it somehow f*cked with the pump. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I've tried downgrading to an older firmware but it simply won't let me. I did find that one article somewhere (wasn't able to save the link), someone mentioned to not update to a certain version as it will brick the pump. Was only able to read that during the time I was googling for answers to this problem.

If there's anyone out there who's got an idea on how I can possibly fix this. I'd truly appreciate it. I don't mind opening the pump, but I won't do that yet unless I'm sure that's the only way to fix it. 

PS. Don't worry about the warranty / possible replacement. I'm well over my warranty period and I'm pretty sure this was my fault.
Using a corsair H75 right now, I went with one that doesn't have any firmware / software control. For good measure.

Wow, sounds like you might need to RMA that. I would point out, that LED's don't really generate a lot of heat, or any for that matter (to my knowledge anyways).

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Corsair coolers break like that all the time. You just need to RMA it often. I had to RMA my 100i about 16 times over the course of a year. I just ended up selling it after my 17th RMA. LED kept breaking, corsair link constantly didn't recognize it, And the pump noise, so damn loud.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

LED's don't really generate a lot of heat, or any for that matter (to my knowledge anyways).

They do a little bit, but it's not really making much of a difference.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

Corsair coolers break like that all the time. You just need to RMA it often. I had to RMA my 100i about 16 times over the course of a year. I just ended up selling it after my 17th RMA. LED kept breaking, corsair link constantly didn't recognize it, And the pump noise, so damn loud.

Haven't had a single problem with my H110

Haven't had a single problem with my H110

As far as I can see, that's an asetek cooler, no corsair designs, except the logo.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

As far as I can see, that's an asetek cooler, no corsair designs, except the logo.

That's what I've been told. Seems to be a good cooler other than the size of it negating push/pull setups in my air 540 unless you put 2 fans on the outside of the case like I did.

PS. Don't worry about the warranty / possible replacement. I'm well over my warranty period and I'm pretty sure this was my fault.

umm, the H80i has a five year warranty. H80i has not been out that long.

if the firmware did brick the assembly, corsair will replace it.

contact Corsair Tech Services for RMA ticket.

Thanks for the responses. Although I'm not sure if I'll push through with an RMA, I live in south east asia. It will be a bit expensive if I'd have to cover the shipping charges. Unless it's free, then oh my lolz am I gonna RMA this faster than a chinchilla in heat. Also special thanks for the mention of the issue on the Air 540. I've been eyeing that case for a while now, I want it so bad for my next build.

And yea, I'm actually not sure if the problem was caused by the firmware update, although I consider it be.

Thanks for the responses. Although I'm not sure if I'll push through with an RMA, I live in south east asia. It will be a bit expensive if I'd have to cover the shipping charges. Unless it's free, then oh my lolz am I gonna RMA this faster than a chinchilla in heat. Also special thanks for the mention of the issue on the Air 540. I've been eyeing that case for a while now, I want it so bad for my next build.

And yea, I'm actually not sure if the problem was caused by the firmware update, although I consider it be.

Corsair and other tech companies make you pay for shipping. But they cover reyurn costs.