144hz or 4K?

Go to solution Solved by DavidBardock,

4K will look nice, BUT u will need to upgrade your gpu with 4k very often, id go with 1080p 144hz, 1440p 60hz or if u can afford Asus Rog Swift.

Hello fellow LTT members,

As you may or may not know, I am getting my hands on a new GTX 980. I have been thinking about getting a new monitor. I was looking at getting a 144hz monitor for the snappiness. I was also took into consideration that 4k would be more of a game changer as far as upgrades go, but I don't think the cards out right now are that friendly with 4k. Let me know what you guys would choose, 144hz or 4k.

Thanks in advance for any replies regarding the topic. B) 

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

4K will look nice, BUT u will need to upgrade your gpu with 4k very often, id go with 1080p 144hz, 1440p 60hz or if u can afford Asus Rog Swift.

I personally would go with 4k mainly because I have been using 2560x1440 for over a year now and I honestly don't want to go back to 1080p. However you are right about the current cards out right now not being able to handle 4k completely.

If you were to go for a 4k monitor you would need to get a 2nd GTX 980 so that you can actually play at 60fps and not got so many frame drops.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Yeah the ROG Swift would be a good choice too. I forgot to mention that.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

i went with a Rog swift. mistakes were most certainly not made buddy of mine is still waiting for asus or someone other than acer to release a 4k Gsync meanwhile here i am lol

You'll have problems running games really smooth with a single 980 on your 4K though, I'd rather go for a 144hz in your case, something like the Asus Swift.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

an GTX 980 plays most games at 4k at 30FPS. 1440p is much better for a single GTX 980 , plus you get 144hz with an ROG Swift.

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

I'm using 4K right now and I love it. Absolutely astounding. But, there is a few quirks here and there; one example is everything is really small haha. (This is for internet browsers and skype etc, gaming with 4K makes everything look beautiful and it scales correctly)  You can scale browsers etc, but if you want to use a second monitor which isn't 4K the scaling will make everything way too big. But if that's not an issue, go with 4K. It's so beautiful and amazing to use....

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Hello fellow LTT members,

As you may or may not know, I am getting my hands on a new GTX 980. I have been thinking about getting a new monitor. I was looking at getting a 144hz monitor for the snappiness. I was also took into consideration that 4k would be more of a game changer as far as upgrades go, but I don't think the cards out right now are that friendly with 4k. Let me know what you guys would choose, 144hz or 4k.

Thanks in advance for any replies regarding the topic. B) 

Well, if you have 3-way or 4-way SLI 980 / 780Ti / Titans go 4K if you can stand the super slow 60Hz Refresh, anything less go for BenQ XL2420G.

Wow! I see why the Asus ROG Swift might be so popular, but DAMN THAT PRICE O_O. 

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

So I guess at the end of the day the Asus ROG Swift will be the monitor. Thanks all.

G-sync is really a nice feature. Make you appreciate even fps at 35. The only thing I'm worry is color reproduction.

For those who have Asus Swift, how is the image quality and the viewing angles.?

G-sync is really a nice feature. Make you appreciate even fps at 35. The only thing I'm worry is color reproduction. For those who have Asus Swift, how is the image quality and the viewing angles.?

I dont have mine yet, but according to Linus from his video, its high quality for TN on the image quality. It's not IPS level but from everything i've been reading, it can beat out lower quality IPS monitors and many, if not most TN panels. Linus was pretty happy with the monitor overall in his video. Viewing angles are however, "Still TN". I personally don't have a problem with this as its going to be a central monitor for me that will be right in front of me and i wont be getting any bad angles but it's something to consider if it will affect you.

theres Linus' video on it if you want to see exactly what he says, but he really likes it overall

I dont have mine yet, but according to Linus from his video, its high quality for TN on the image quality. It's not IPS level but from everything i've been reading, it can beat out lower quality IPS monitors and many, if not most TN panels. Linus was pretty happy with the monitor overall in his video. Viewing angles are however, "Still TN". I personally don't have a problem with this as its going to be a central monitor for me that will be right in front of me and i wont be getting any bad angles but it's something to consider if it will affect you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqTIfNv2DE theres Linus' video on it if you want to see exactly what he says, but he really likes it overall

That's nice to hear. The only thing hard to stomach is the price.

That's nice to hear. The only thing hard to stomach is the price.

Yea. Even though I could afford it, I can't really get myself to spend that much on a single monitor. I ended up deciding on a 144hz 1080p 24" BenQ monitor

It's a shame you weren't at the PCCG booth at Pax Aus, they actually had BenQ 144Hz monitors next to a 4k monitor. I'd personally choose the smoothness and feel of 144Hz, because I felt the smoother gameplay was better. But, I understand this is going to vary person to person.

Another 144Hz option is the ROG Swift, but, it's double the price of a 1080p 144Hz monitor, so it depends on your budget

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM