BIOS and On-Board RAID controller

Go to solution Solved by wpirobotbuilder,

Hello community!

Let's say you're using a cheap, nothing special on-board RAID controller and not a fancy RAID card of some sort. Do you lose your RAID array when your CMOS battery is removed/dies?

No, you should be okay, the RAID configuration info is stored on the drives themselves. You might have to re-enable RAID mode in the SATA controller settings, but it should auto-detect the configuration.

I'm not positive, though. If this is totally wrong, someone correct me!

Hello community!

Let's say you're using a cheap, nothing special on-board RAID controller and not a fancy RAID card of some sort. Do you lose your RAID array when your CMOS battery is removed/dies? Also, let's say I tried to do some crazy overclock and failed miserably. I then can't get my system to POST and I need a BIOS config reset to get everything running. Do I lose my RAID array by doing so?

Should this be the case, can I regain my array by doing a bios restore from bios config backup?

I want to know because I want to gauge how much should I trust the redundancy provided by my RAID array that's currenty running on my motherboard's on-oboard RAID controller. I'm regularly chaging stuff in my BIOS and i'm beginning to worry that I may lose the array if I mess up.

Of course, i'm taking regular backups aside from RAID.

Thank you for any input.

Hello community!

Let's say you're using a cheap, nothing special on-board RAID controller and not a fancy RAID card of some sort. Do you lose your RAID array when your CMOS battery is removed/dies?

No, you should be okay, the RAID configuration info is stored on the drives themselves. You might have to re-enable RAID mode in the SATA controller settings, but it should auto-detect the configuration.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

No need for corrections. That's pretty much all there is about it. :)

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Thank you so much, sir. 

:)