Air or Water cooling?

dragonite400

Whatsup everybody :)

Okay so I'm really struggling with deciding between air cooling or water cooling, like I live in Australia right? And especially where I live the temps jump up and down a lot, in winter it can drop down to 5C (41F) and in summer it can go to 40C (104F) And in spring and autumn it alternates somewhere around the middle, it's a massive pain in the butt. I've heard that if you have a water cooler, especially in very cool temperatures, it can condense the water around it so then waters going to get on your components and that certainly isn't good, so that makes me think air cooling, but then it hits as I said sometimes 104F in summer, which then air cooling might not be enough, although my house is also cool cause it's pretty much all concrete, so then maybe air is the way to go? Anyways thoughts and suggestions? :)

Cheers

Dragonite400

When you say water cooling, are you talking about custom or a pre filled one.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I live in Aus too and I know what you mean, I'm getting a 4790k and a Noctua NH-U12s too cool it, I won't be doing any insane overclocks so it should be fine for mild OC's

What CPU do you have? Or are getting? 

Whatsup everybody :)

Okay so I'm really struggling with deciding between air cooling or water cooling, like I live in Australia right? And especially where I live the temps jump up and down a lot, in winter it can drop down to 5C (41F) and in summer it can go to 40C (104F) And in spring and autumn it alternates somewhere around the middle, it's a massive pain in the butt. I've heard that if you have a water cooler, especially in very cool temperatures, it can condense the water around it so then waters going to get on your components and that certainly isn't good, so that makes me think air cooling, but then it hits as I said sometimes 104F in summer, which then air cooling might not be enough, although my house is also cool cause it's pretty much all concrete, so then maybe air is the way to go? Anyways thoughts and suggestions? :)

Cheers

Dragonite400

If you get a good air cooler, it'll still be able to perform as well as a water cooler without the risk of pump failure or leaks. 

I don't think it matters that much, if you do air or water cooling, since you can't cool anything to a temperature lower than the surrounding air (that's what causes condensation)

But I'd go with a good NH-D15 or something. The more important thing is that you keep the room cool enough - i live near the equator, so it's 25-30 degrees all the time, so to keep it running sometimes you'll have to switch the AC on in the room or something.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

I wouldn't worry about the condensation issue. Maybe if the temp was -5C and lower.

It also depends on the available space in your case.

A h100i should be plenty.

That being said, there are some pretty decent heatsinks out there, but they can cost as much, if not more than $100

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

oil cooled should be best for your needs.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

As long as the ambient temp that the PC sucks in thru an intake isn't too crazy you should be Okay, But if you want better temps you could get mabye a H100i closed loop cooler, It's pretty good

When you say water cooling, are you talking about custom or a pre filled one.

I was thinking about a h100i pre filled, just a simple CPU one, nothing too fancy, otherwise it'll add a crap tonne more onto the cost of my build.

I live in Aus too and I know what you mean, I'm getting a 4790k and a Noctua NH-U12s too cool it, I won't be doing any insane overclocks so it should be fine for mild OC's

What CPU do you have? Or are getting? 

Oh sweet as dude, good to hear from another Aussie :) Okay that's cool, I'm thinking of getting a 4690k, yeah I'm not doing any insane OC's either haha :) cheers

If you get a good air cooler, it'll still be able to perform as well as a water cooler without the risk of pump failure or leaks. 

I don't think it matters that much, if you do air or water cooling, since you can't cool anything to a temperature lower than the surrounding air (that's what causes condensation)

But I'd go with a good NH-D15 or something. The more important thing is that you keep the room cool enough - i live near the equator, so it's 25-30 degrees all the time, so to keep it running sometimes you'll have to switch the AC on in the room or something.

Yeah the environments temp is a big thing, sadly I don't have any AC, closest thing I have is a fan haha, so yeah it's gonna stay prettttty damn warm :P okay awesome thank you for the recommendation :)

I wouldn't worry about the condensation issue. Maybe if the temp was -5C and lower.

It also depends on the available space in your case.

A h100i should be plenty.

That being said, there are some pretty decent heatsinks out there, but they can cost as much, if not more than $100

Yeah the pricing between the (two things I'm trying to decide between, or am open to new suggestions) Noctua NH-d15 and the h100i is about $50, I'm going for the nzxt phantom 410 case, which will fit the h100i fine plus two fans on top easily which I'm pretty happy about, but yeah thank you

oil cooled should be best for your needs.

Hahah I've seen some oil cooled builds and as much as they look sweet, I'll be alright but thank you :P it'd just be too much work, and I'm not looking for it, sorry mate.

As long as the ambient temp that the PC sucks in thru an intake isn't too crazy you should be Okay, But if you want better temps you could get mabye a H100i closed loop cooler, It's pretty good

Yeah that's what I'm thinkin aye, haha :)

Hahah I've seen some oil cooled builds and as much as they look sweet, I'll be alright but thank you :P it'd just be too much work, and I'm not looking for it, sorry mate.

Yeah that's what I'm thinkin aye, haha :)

i understand, it just removes all there problems

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

I was thinking about a h100i pre filled, just a simple CPU one, nothing too fancy, otherwise it'll add a crap tonne more onto the cost of my build.

Oh sweet as dude, good to hear from another Aussie :) Okay that's cool, I'm thinking of getting a 4690k, yeah I'm not doing any insane OC's either haha :) cheers

Yeah the environments temp is a big thing, sadly I don't have any AC, closest thing I have is a fan haha, so yeah it's gonna stay prettttty damn warm :P okay awesome thank you for the recommendation :)

Yeah the pricing between the (two things I'm trying to decide between, or am open to new suggestions) Noctua NH-d15 and the h100i is about $50, I'm going for the nzxt phantom 410 case, which will fit the h100i fine plus two fans on top easily which I'm pretty happy about, but yeah thank you

if I were you I'd go with a NH-D15 - I'm not sure how well pumps take to high temperatures (especially if ambient is already 40 degrees)

Turn a fan on and point it at the front of your case! More airflow helps. Also if you could close the curtains or something so that it's cooler inside, or if you move lower down (to the basement or something)

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

hey, because you're in the air cooling forum and Im a fan of air cooling, I'll say go for air cooling.  I feel it has advantages over water cooling and even closed loop systems for that matter.

a few advantages are.

1: simplicity - a heatsink is very simple.  It only needs a fan and a good heatsink design to work right.  some heatsinks dont even need a CPU fan if they're large enough to solely depend on case fans

2: reliability - well, its the same as simplicity but it's nice to know that because a fan is less complicated than a water pump, it's less likely to have a failure.  

3: performance -  this is where heatsinks really shine imo..   Now, it should be pointed out that water cooling setups typically have the edge here when it comes to performance numbers.  But, if you do a good job to make sure your case has good airflow, you may find that heatsinks keep the cpu temps low and well within limits even when overclocking.  Having an air conditioner in your PC room during the summer months only helps more. 

and thats all I can think of for now.   

if I were you I'd go with a NH-D15 - I'm not sure how well pumps take to high temperatures (especially if ambient is already 40 degrees)

Turn a fan on and point it at the front of your case! More airflow helps. Also if you could close the curtains or something so that it's cooler inside, or if you move lower down (to the basement or something)

Hmm, thank you, yeah that's a good point about the pumps aye, and I'd do that for sure, the extra airflow would definitely help, I normally keep my window/blinds closed to keep it cooler, sadly I can't move into our basement, because well we dont even have one xD we just live in a unit (appartment)

hey, because you're in the air cooling forum and Im a fan of air cooling, I'll say go for air cooling.  I feel it has advantages over water cooling and even closed loop systems for that matter.

a few advantages are.

1: simplicity - a heatsink is very simple.  It only needs a fan and a good heatsink design to work right.  some heatsinks dont even need a CPU fan if they're large enough to solely depend on case fans

2: reliability - well, its the same as simplicity but it's nice to know that because a fan is less complicated than a water pump, it's less likely to have a failure.  

3: performance -  this is where heatsinks really shine imo..   Now, it should be pointed out that water cooling setups typically have the edge here when it comes to performance numbers.  But, if you do a good job to make sure your case has good airflow, you may find that heatsinks keep the cpu temps low and well within limits even when overclocking.  Having an air conditioner in your PC room during the summer months only helps more. 

and thats all I can think of for now.   

Thank you for your tips and reasons, I appreciate the fact that you're backing up your beliefs with reasons :) seems like more and more people are suggesting air cooling, haha cheers to you all :)

sadly I can't move into our basement, because well we dont even have one xD we just live in a unit (appartment)

Oh. I'm in the same boat :P

what I did was I made the innermost room of the apartment (usually people aren't fighting for windowless rooms anyways) to use as a computer/server room. It'll stay cool, and dampen the sound made by the PC/your gaming/music from the rest of the house :)