My 8 year old pc is finally DEAD. need help please. first time builder.

so as long as the CPU fit's the socket, and that it would be able to run games (whats the difference between a gaming board and a standard?) its more up to me what part's / ports i'm going to need on it right?

Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Playing the guitar and doing a degree in computing are my favorite things.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Dobby240/saved/3hxV3C And of course the rig.

It doesn't let him do SLI on that board if I am correct? Also the difference in prices is mostly gimmicks on the boards like PCI-e slots, USB ports etc. so depends what you really want.

Yeah it doesnt, that's why I said he should look into how many PCI-E slot and stuff like that. Still the Gaming 3 is a good mobo :P

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

so as long as the CPU fit's the socket, and that it would be able to run games (whats the difference between a gaming board and a standard?) its more up to me what part's / ports i'm going to need on it right?

Yup

"Gaming" board isnt all that different from normal board. Usually "Gaming" port have stuff like better onboard audio (not true in all case), Killer Ethernet which is a hardware + software function that allow games to get more bandwidth compare to other things that use the internet like browser etc.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Yup

"Gaming" board isnt all that different from normal board. Usually "Gaming" port have stuff like better onboard audio (not true in all case), Killer Ethernet which is a hardware + software function that allow games to get more bandwidth compare to other things that use the internet like browser etc.

This Gigabyte one actually has better on board audio xD.

Brilliant ok well thank you very much everyone! thats more than enough to keep me occupied for a few days of research and picking :D

I will be checking back on this forum when i get back from work later (probably while i'm there as well) to see if anything else has been added 

Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Playing the guitar and doing a degree in computing are my favorite things.

Brilliant ok well thank you very much everyone! thats more than enough to keep me occupied for a few days of research and picking :D

I will be checking back on this forum when i get back from work later (probably while i'm there as well) to see if anything else has been added 

Just remember I5 vs I7?

How much money on the case?

CPU cooler or not?

SSD or not?

Those are probably the most important things to consider.

Just remember I5 vs I7?

How much money on the case?

CPU cooler or not?

SSD or not?

Those are probably the most important things to consider.

along with whats on the mother board in terms of usb and dvi and all of that 

I don't know how to do the PCPARTPICKER thing. 

So heres the link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WRCxVn 

Cons: No SSD

Pros: GTX 980, overclockable 4690k, lasts about 7 years if you want to play games on low. But to play on Ultra, then probs 3-4 years tops

I don't know how to do the PCPARTPICKER thing. 

So heres the link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WRCxVn 

Cons: No SSD

Pros: GTX 980, overclockable 4690k, lasts about 7 years if you want to play games on low. But to play on Ultra, then probs 3-4 years tops

Link doesn't work. Also on a tight budget it isn't really worth to spend the big amount of money extra on a 980 when you can get an SSD with a 970. The 10% difference in performance between the two cards is just not worth paying the big amount of money for the 980. Especially if you just go SLI with a second 970 which is only ~100 euro's more then one 980 but triumphs the single 980 in performance vs SLI 970's.

Link doesn't work. Also on a tight budget it isn't really worth to spend the big amount of money extra on a 980 when you can get an SSD with a 970. The 10% difference in performance between the two cards is just not worth paying the big amount of money for the 980. Especially if you just go SLI with a second 970 which is only ~100 euro's more then one 980 but triumphs the single 980 in performance vs SLI 970's.

I have to agree on that.